+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

VICTOR CRUZ IS NOW THE NUMBER ONE RECEIVER

VICTOR CRUZ IS NOW THE NUMBER ONE RECEIVER

"Victor Cruz may now be the
    New York Giants
    number one receiver. I donít think the Giants thought that
    would happen this fast, however with the injury to Hakeem Nicks, the process has begun. Now the
    pressure is on Cruz to prove he isnít a one year wonder.

I donít believe that Cruz will be a one
    year wonder, flash in the plan kind of player. I do believe however, that he
    will need to make adjustments on his game going forward. With Nicks status for
    the start of the year in doubt, Cruz becomes the number one target. Defenses are
    going to start rolling coverages his way more often then they had been doing.
    Heís gonna see the corner get help from the safety to
    double team him. Nicks will be back, maybe even sooner than previously thought,
    as some reports have him back as early as 4-6 weeks. You have to believe though,
    that a broken bone in the foot will hamper him, maybe throughout the season.
    Nicks does get injured quite a bit and you have to hope that his injuries donít
    become a trend that continues.

In order for Cruzís production to not
    suffer, other players need to step up. The running game needs to be better than
    it was last year. Whether it was the offensive line or the running backs not
    reading the blocks correctly, the running game didnít take off until late in the
    season when the team took off. Other receivers like rookie Rueben Randle and Jerrel Jernigan will need to produce as
    well.

Even if the injury to Nicks is only for a
    month it still might be something that could hamper him as the season goes on.
    Anytime and injury happens to your foot especially as a receiver, it could stay
    with you a little bit as the season goes, especially with the injury history
    Nicks already has. Cruz is now number one. The question is what will happen
    going forward."

ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: VICTOR CRUZ IS NOW THE NUMBER ONE RECEIVER

I know we all believe in Eli, but the analysts need to realize his play is going to be a huge factor in the development of these WRs.

Maybe only Brady, Peyton, and Brees are better at developing young unproven WRs and giving them opportunities to make big plays and contribute. Eli makes the talent around him better.

I would rest Nicks until there is absolutely no lingering effects. Individual players would be forced to step their game up, and Nicks would be fully healthy in time for a playoff run.

I just don't want him rushing back from this injury, but luckily the Giants aren't ones to rush players back from injury.

[quote user="gmen0820"]I would rest Nicks until there is absolutely no lingering effects. Individual players would be forced to step their game up, and Nicks would be fully healthy in time for a playoff run.

I just don't want him rushing back from this injury, but luckily the Giants aren't ones to rush players back from injury.[/quote]

I think we have receivers who can do just that. A lot of fans don't seem like Hixon but, healthy, he can be a positive force while Nicks recovers. Jernigan has a year under his belt and Randle is said to be NFL ready. We added Bennet at TE who could be the surprise of the season.

Perhaps more importantly, we have the makings of a better running game this season. Only time will tell, but having a RB as the first round pick may prove to be a brilliant move by Reese & Co.
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

# 80

It is Victor Cruz's destiny.

A bigger question is this: If Nicks can't play any number of games, will Cruz go to the outside or stay in the slot? Cruz, Jernigan/Randle, and Hixon in the slot could work theoretically...

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

[quote user="Toadofsteel"]A bigger question is this: If Nicks can't play any number of games, will Cruz go to the outside or stay in the slot? Cruz, Jernigan/Randle, and Hixon in the slot could work theoretically...[/quote]

Fortunately, Cruz plays equally well at either position. What we need is at least one receiver to take advantage of Cruz's double coverage.

# 80

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="Toadofsteel"]A bigger question is this: If Nicks can't play any number of games, will Cruz go to the outside or stay in the slot? Cruz, Jernigan/Randle, and Hixon in the slot could work theoretically...[/quote]

Fortunately, Cruz plays equally well at either position.* What we need is at least one receiver to take advantage of Cruz's double coverage.
    [/quote]

That would depend on how well Jernigan and/or Randle do. If one of those two could draw double coverage as well, Eli can start having his field day.

Another possibility, if both Jernigan and Randle pan out, is having the two of them line up outside with Cruz in the slot. Combine that with Bennett, and you have a combination where you don't know who to cover.

And all this is based on being without Nicks. With him healthy, and Eli having a performance like in the NFCCG, our passing attack will be unstoppable. I'm not worried about WRs at all...

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

I think people are making something out of nothing...let's just say Nicks is an average healer...he will have plenty of time to heal fully and if he has ANY residual soreness it is due to surgery and not the actual bone fracture. That is something that he can work through.

[quote user="hungrrrry"]I think people are making something out of nothing...let's just say Nicks is an average healer...he will have plenty of time to heal fully and if he has ANY residual soreness it is due to surgery and not the actual bone fracture. That is something that he can work through.[/quote]

We all hope that's the case. But Nicks is going to miss every OTA and training camp as well. During that time, we have to find out who is going to step up and where if called upon. That's just good personnel management.

# 80