+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NY GIANTS' OTA'S RETROSPECTIVE: DID WE LEARN ANYTHING?

NY GIANTS' OTA'S RETROSPECTIVE: DID WE LEARN ANYTHING?

"Here are three things we learned last week during the New York Giants
    OTAs.

1. Injuries will happen regardless of how soft
      Commissioner Roger Goodell wants to make practices for NFL teams. Witness the
      torn ACL of Brian
      Witherspoon
      and the broken foot of Hakeem Nicks,
      both suffered in non-competitive drills.
    2. David Diehl will
      play right tackle and Kevin Boothe
      will begin as the starting left guard. Maybe Mitch Petrus
      can take that spot away from Boothe, but installing Boothe in that spot is
      typical of the Giants. Tom Coughlin is nothing if not loyal to players who are
      successful for him.
    3. Running back might be the most interesting
      position to watch unfold throughout the preseason. Ahmad
      Bradshaw
      and first-round pick David Wilson
      are locks. Fullback Henry
      Hynoski
      should also be a lock -- and might have a bigger role in the
      offense. But, the competition between DJ Ware, Da'Rel Scott,
      Andre Brown and
      Joe Martinek
      will be fun to watch as it unfolds."
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: NY GIANTS' OTA'S RETROSPECTIVE: DID WE LEARN ANYTHING?

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]
    Injuries will happen regardless of how soft
    torn ACL of Brian
    Witherspoon
    both suffered in non-competitive drills.[/quote]

I think the writer doesn't really understand Roger Goodell's goal. Sure eliminating injuries is partially responsible for 'soft practices' but I feel that he is trying to prevent things like concussions, that can have a lasting effect on someone, and could cause major problems post-career, for example all the players who committed suicide due to depression (RIP), which besides the obvious moral reasons one would try to eliminate those things, there is the legal problems, that the nfl does not want to face, in the future. I hardly think the NFL is too worried about torn acl's in practice as much as the potentially post-career damaging injuries that some of the players face.

[quote user="IamGiantsfan"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]
    torn ACL of Brian
    Witherspoon

I think the writer doesn't really understand Roger Goodell's goal. Sure eliminating injuries is partially responsible for 'soft practices' but I feel that he is trying to prevent things like concussions, that can have a lasting effect on someone, and could cause major problems post-career, for example all the players who committed suicide due to depression (RIP), which besides the obvious moral reasons one would try to eliminate those things, there is the legal problems, that the nfl does not want to face, in the future. I hardly think the NFL is too worried about torn acl's in practice as much as the potentially post-career damaging injuries that some of the players face.[/quote]

Interesting point, but how many NFL concussions have occurred during pre season, historically? I'm not sure your point about "Goodell's goal" for pre season practice is any more valid than Valentine's.

[quote user="gmen46"][quote user="IamGiantsfan"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]
    torn ACL of Brian
    Witherspoon

I think the writer doesn't really understand Roger Goodell's goal. Sure eliminating injuries is partially responsible for 'soft practices' but I feel that he is trying to prevent things like concussions, that can have a lasting effect on someone, and could cause major problems post-career, for example all the players who committed suicide due to depression (RIP), which besides the obvious moral reasons one would try to eliminate those things, there is the legal problems, that the nfl does not want to face, in the future. I hardly think the NFL is too worried about torn acl's in practice as much as the potentially post-career damaging injuries that some of the players face.[/quote]

Interesting point, but how many NFL concussions have occurred during pre season, historically? I'm not sure your point about "Goodell's goal" for pre season practice is any more valid than Valentine's.[/quote]
    Statistically, across all levels of play, more concussions happen in practice than in game.

It seems like Commissioner Roger Goodell is the Anti NFL because his actions look like it wants to mess up the NFL. Soon or later no sacks from behind or just get rid of them completely.

All-Pro

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]NY GIANTS' OTA'S RETROSPECTIVE:* DID WE LEARN ANYTHING?

"Here are three things we learned last week during the New York Giants
    OTAs.

1. Injuries will happen regardless of how soft
      torn ACL of Brian
      Witherspoon
      both suffered in non-competitive drills.
    2. David Diehl will
      play right tackle and Kevin Boothe
      will begin as the starting left guard. Maybe Mitch Petrus
      can take that spot away from Boothe, but installing Boothe in that spot is
      typical of the Giants. Tom Coughlin is nothing if not loyal to players who are
      successful for him.
    3. Running back might be the most interesting
      position to watch unfold throughout the preseason. Ahmad
      Bradshaw
      and first-round pick David Wilson
      are locks. Fullback Henry
      Hynoski
      should also be a lock -- and might have a bigger role in the
      offense. But, the competition between DJ Ware, Da'Rel Scott,
      Andre Brown and
      Joe Martinek
      will be fun to watch as it unfolds."
    [/quote]Also id say RR is a lock with the Nicks injury. I think he was a shoe in prior to the injury anyway
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

[quote user="IamGiantsfan"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]
    torn ACL of Brian
    Witherspoon

Man, I was just about to rant on the same thing. It is amazing how many former and current players dislike this guy as well as other sports people. He cannot catch a break. His goal most assuredly in the end comes to money, however sometimes that is a good motivator to do good things.

There is a current large crop of former NFL players that are suing the NFL for concussions and brain injuries they received well before Goodell was even thought about as a Commissioner. Many happened when the beloved Tagliabue was the Commissioner. Goodell has constantly changed equipment, changed rules or even called the enforcement of rules that had always been there in the name of mitigating(he knows they will not be totally prevented)specific injuries.

It is dopes like James Harrison that will be suing the NFL when his time comes, yet Goodell has been on his *** trying to change his ways. From what I've seen Goodell came into his office on fire. One of his first acts was dealing wih Pacman Jones but also remember him pulling Brady Quinn to a room so he wouldn't continue to be a spectacle when he was thought to be drafted in the top 10.

The guy cannot catch a break.

[quote user="Drez"][quote user="gmen46"][quote user="IamGiantsfan"][quote user="RoanokeFan"] Injuries will happen regardless of how soft Commissioner Roger Goodell wants to make practices for NFL teams. Witness the torn ACL of Brian Witherspoon and the broken foot of Hakeem Nicks, both suffered in non-competitive drills.[/quote] I think the writer doesn't really understand Roger Goodell's goal. Sure eliminating injuries is partially responsible for 'soft practices' but I feel that he is trying to prevent things like concussions, that can have a lasting effect on someone, and could cause major problems post-career, for example all the players who committed suicide due to depression (RIP), which besides the obvious moral reasons one would try to eliminate those things, there is the legal problems, that the nfl does not want to face, in the future. I hardly think the NFL is too worried about torn acl's in practice as much as the potentially post-career damaging injuries that some of the players face.[/quote] Interesting point, but how many NFL concussions have occurred during pre season, historically? I'm not sure your point about "Goodell's goal" for pre season practice is any more valid than Valentine's.[/quote]
    Statistically, across all levels of play, more concussions happen in practice than in game.
    [/quote]

Link?

Cn't imagine that is true now in the NFL given how much they have limited the amount of live hitting in practices . . . .

working to eliminate concussions in a sport where 300+ pound men run around at top speed hitting each other is an admirable goal, good luck with that..

[quote user="JesseJames"]working to eliminate concussions in a sport where 300+ pound men run around at top speed hitting each other is an admirable goal, good luck with that..[/quote]

The difficulty of the task doesn't make the goal any less meaningful or necessary.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1