+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Poll: America's Team is...

Poll: America's Team is...Yes the Cowboys but the Giants are tied for 3rd

When a poll released in December showed that the Green Bay Packers had surpassed the Cowboys as the NFL's most popular team -- and had garnered twice as many votes as the Cowboys, to boot -- some were left wondering if Green Bay was more deserving of the "America's Team" moniker than a club that hasn't won a Super Bowl since 1995. But after a one-and-done run through the postseason, the Packers' popularity seems to have seriously waned, if a poll conducted by ESPN this week is to be believed. The new poll showed the Cowboys had returned to the top of the NFL food chain, earning the title of favorite team from 8.8 percent of respondents, while the Packers only garnered 7.2 percent, good for second place. The New York Giants tied with the Pittsburgh Steelers for third place, while the Philadelphia Eagles (9th) and the Washington Redskins (13th) rounded out the rest of the NFC East. The Cowboys' division was easily the league's most popular, garnering a cumulative 22.2 percent of the total vote.
    ALL IN!

Re: Poll: America's Team is...

No real fan is going to ditch their team after a first round playoff exit. It makes no sense that in a span of 6 months, the Packers lost the 1 spot.

I think it might be more interesting if the poll asked "What is your second favorite team?" Everyone is going to say the team closest to where they live for favorite team. "America's Team" is the team people root for when their team is having a bad year or is eliminated from the playoffs or isn't in the game. For me it's the Packers, and I suspect the Packers are probably more popular than the Cowboys in this sense.

I rather Giants are the Champions of the World.

Veteran

Profootballtalk had an article out about this Poll. It's bogus. It is based on a pole of 1500 people. Sorry. To me that doesn't represent the country as a whole. What isn't mentioned hear is that the Cowboys, although garnering most votes, still finished in second. I forget the exact percent but I believe slightly over 10% voted that they didn't have a favorite team.

Well, there's no accounting for taste.

The only thing that poll tells me is that there are A LOT more backwards ***, toothless grinning trailer dwellers that "like that fancy star and the stripper poles in the stadium" than there are people who actually know anything about the game.

America's team my ***.

[quote user="FBomb"]

Well, there's no accounting for taste.

The only thing that poll tells me is that there are A LOT more backwards ***, toothless grinning trailer dwellers that "like that fancy star and the stripper poles in the stadium" than there are people who actually know anything about the game.

America's team my ***.

[/quote]I say and everyone should say that right now the Giants are Americas Team since they won the Superbowl. bWAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA!!

the giants are the Universe's and God's team. Nothing else matters.

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"]the giants are the Universe's and God's team. Nothing else matters.[/quote] This made me laugh so hard. Probably because it's true.
    Finalized divorce from Victor Michael Walker Cruz November 23rd, 2014. 9:16 PM.

[quote user="Giants10Joe"]No real fan is going to ditch their team after a first round playoff exit. It makes no sense that in a span of 6 months, the Packers lost the 1 spot.

I think it might be more interesting if the poll asked "What is your second favorite team?" Everyone is going to say the team closest to where they live for favorite team. "America's Team" is the team people root for when their team is having a bad year or is eliminated from the playoffs or isn't in the game. For me it's the Packers, and I suspect the Packers are probably more popular than the Cowboys in this sense.
    [/quote]

The Pack lost their bandwagon fans from SB XLV, which explains it. GB is the only team that seems to be as universally popular as the Cowboys, except that GB is a truly good team. I for one rooted for them after the Giants were out of contention in 2010 (even if it was them that put the final nail in the coffin for the Giants).

The problem is that "America's Team" is an artifact title from the days of Staubach, White, etc. We all know that here, but unless you know your football history, you would just as well assume that it still applied to the Cowboys. That's where the delusion in the Cowboys fanbase comes from.

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

[quote user="WR4Life"]Profootballtalk had an article out about this Poll. It's bogus. It is based on a pole of 1500 people. Sorry. To me that doesn't represent the country as a whole. What isn't mentioned hear is that the Cowboys, although garnering most votes, still finished in second. I forget the exact percent but I believe slightly over 10% voted that they didn't have a favorite team.[/quote]

If chosen properly, 1500 people is more than enough for a good sample.