+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Player loyality

Player loyality

I was watching NFL.com and as they said how good the gmen are at grooming there draft picks into stars and depth. It just got me thinking that I feel the giants are the classiest org. In the league. You never see us draft a player and give up on him after one year. We hold onto our talent with constant extensions, and we treat our players right. I know it's slow on these boards right now, but just wanted to bring up this point. We should all be proud to be a giants fan, and also be very proud of our team. I for one know that the team I believe in, believes in there system, there players, and there fans.. Yes even us..... Go jints...

Re: Player loyality

[quote user="Pa1jintfan"]I was watching NFL.com and as they said how good the gmen are at grooming there draft picks into stars and depth. It just got me thinking that I feel the giants are the classiest org. In the league. You never see us draft a player and give up on him after one year. We hold onto our talent with constant extensions, and we treat our players right. I know it's slow on these boards right now, but just wanted to bring up this point. We should all be proud to be a giants fan, and also be very proud of our team. I for one know that the team I believe in, believes in there system, there players, and there fans.. Yes even us..... Go jints...[/quote]

their, their, their [:O]

I don't get this . . .. do you think that the Giants don't give up on players after one year because they are "classy" or because they draft well and have very few draftees that are obvious busts after one year??

[quote user="Pa1jintfan"]I was watching NFL.com and as they said how good the gmen are at grooming there draft picks into stars and depth. It just got me thinking that I feel the giants are the classiest org. In the league. You never see us draft a player and give up on him after one year. We hold onto our talent with constant extensions, and we treat our players right. I know it's slow on these boards right now, but just wanted to bring up this point. We should all be proud to be a giants fan, and also be very proud of our team. I for one know that the team I believe in, believes in there system, there players, and there fans.. Yes even us..... Go jints...[/quote]

I had dinner with a ex-Giant (my wife met him on a plane) that played for two years with us. he spent most of his career elsewhere.

He said that after he was released, Mr. Mara sent him a hand written letter, thanking him for his contribution to our team. He said that he would have loved to spend his entire career in NY.

Had nothing but praise for our organization.

"Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Yet everyone "hates" us...

[quote user="Morehead State"]

I had dinner with a ex-Giant (my wife met him on a plane) that played for two years with us. he spent most of his career elsewhere.

He said that after he was released, Mr. Mara sent him a hand written letter, thanking him for his contribution to our team. He said that he would have loved to spend his entire career in NY.

Had nothing but praise for our organization.

[/quote]

Great story. I think it's been clear for decades that the GIANTS are nothing if they aren't classy. I know it's a business on both sides and that's what we hear about the most; contracts, rules violations, etc.

But the GIANTS have always been a family type of organization. When I first started taking our youngest son to games, players like Jumbo Elliott and Mark Bavaro were on the team. We could go to where the players parked their cars and get their autographs (if theyw ere so inclined) without having to jump through any hoops. After one game, my son wanted to go back to get Elliott's autograph as he missed him on the way in. I'm thinking to myself these guys are tired now but we went over anyway. As we're approaching the player parking area there is Jumbo Elliott, bigger than life, carrying bags of gear to his car. Before I can tell my son to wait until he gets to the car he runs over to the fence holding out his card and pen. Elliott kind of looks at me and as I was about to call my son back he put down all of his bags, signed the card, and talked with my 9 year old son for a few minutes. As this is happening, Bavaro appears and he's talking to Brad Bensons' mother and they are all getting ready to tailgate. HONEST TO GOD! Just watching these players and their families, even from afar, gave you that "family" sense.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

It's not just player loyalty, but coach's loyalty to players as well. If players would get benched for any little mistake, Weatherford would not be our punter now. He was under strict orders to punt out of bounds in the game in Philly, and failed to do so...
    Andre the Giant

Smith, Boss, Seubert and O'Hara were treated right?

The Giants treat their players the same as any other team in my opinion. It's a business and there's no real loyalty.

[quote user="Toadofsteel"]It's not just player loyalty, but coach's loyalty to players as well. If players would get benched for any little mistake, Weatherford would not be our punter now. He was under strict orders to punt out of bounds in the game in Philly, and failed to do so...[/quote]

This past season?

Or are you thinking of Dodge from the season before?

Generally I agree that the Giants stick with project players, but I can think of plenty that get cast aside -- Chad Jones, Jay Alford come to mind.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells