+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clock Management

Is it safe to say the Giants are the best at NFL when it comes to clock management? Eli knows how to stretch a drive and munch on clock time when it's called for. That's kind of overlooked when you see him on his two-minute drills. He was able to stretch a single drive almost 10 minutes in XLII, and take up half of the first quarter on the opening drive in XLVI with a declining run game that was ranked dead last in the regular season (although better in the postseason). Then that safety meant that Brady only saw one snap in basically the entire first quarter. I wish more people could see the value in a QB being able to do that. It doesnt' show up much in highlight reels because it's the most boring football that you could possibly show to an audience. But it has to be deflating to an opposing offense to get all fired up and then spend 10 game minutes (which has to translate into half an hour real-time at least) on the sideline.

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

Re: Clock Management

Omaha!

OMAHA!

Ah ****

[quote user="Toadofsteel"]Is it safe to say the Giants are the best at NFL when it comes to clock management? Eli knows how to stretch a drive and munch on clock time when it's called for. That's kind of overlooked when you see him on his two-minute drills. He was able to stretch a single drive almost 10 minutes in XLII, and take up half of the first quarter on the opening drive in XLVI with a declining run game that was ranked dead last in the regular season (although better in the postseason). Then that safety meant that Brady only saw one snap in basically the entire first quarter. I wish more people could see the value in a QB being able to do that. It doesnt' show up much in highlight reels because it's the most boring football that you could possibly show to an audience. But it has to be deflating to an opposing offense to get all fired up and then spend 10 game minutes (which has to translate into half an hour real-time at least) on the sideline.[/quote]

no doubt hes great in the 2 minute drill/no huddle, but does anyone take more delay of game's than Easy E?

All-Pro

i will call it Clutch Management

i don't think afootball fan, who could not chose their own QB,would want anyone else QBing their team with 80 yards to go, 1:30 left, on the road or neutral site than Eli

We can manage time that's for sure, but damn those last second hikes have to be the most annoying thing ever

I'm not talking about the play clock though... I'm talking about the game clock. It's not just that Eli can make a 2-minute drive across 80 yards, it's that he can make a drive across 80 yards that lasts as long as he damn well pleases...

Actually this is funny.. Many people on this board will argue that poor clock management almost cost us the Super Bowl. or that We won the Super Bowl despite our bad clock management.

You can try and arm chair it until the cows come home, you take the points, yes Bradshaw could have taken a knee, ran off more time, maybe not get a TD and settle for a FG, but who wanted to see Tynes line up for a chip shot with all the marbles on the line, cmon now, lets here it, they won the game, they are the champs, stop the whining.
    Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

And if Brady saw more than Justin Tuck coming at him the entire first quarter, we probably would have lost...

[quote user="Joe Morrison"]You can try and arm chair it until the cows come home, you take the points, yes Bradshaw could have taken a knee, ran off more time, maybe not get a TD and settle for a FG, but who wanted to see Tynes line up for a chip shot with all the marbles on the line, cmon now, lets here it, they won the game, they are the champs, stop the whining.[/quote]

I was just pointing out how some people on the boards felt after the SB. I am all for taking the points when we did. I did not want to see them put the game on Tynes.