+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1990 NFC Championship vs. 2011 NFC Championship....

Both games were great, well-played, smash-mouth defensive battles. BUT which game do you think was better? Which game was better played?; which one was more exciting; and which one was your favorite.

I've thought about this, and I give a very slight edge to the 1990 NFCCG. Only because of the Marshall hit on Montana, and Sumerall call of "There Will Be No 3-Peat!" But 2011 awesome too.

What do you guys think?

Re: 1990 NFC Championship vs. 2011 NFC Championship....

[quote user="Cool Papa B."]Both games were great, well-played, smash-mouth defensive battles. BUT which game do you think was better? Which game was better played?; which one was more exciting; and which one was your favorite. I've thought about this, and I give a very slight edge to the 1990 NFCCG. Only because of the Marshall hit on Montana, and Sumerall call of "There Will Be No 3-Peat!" But 2011 awesome too. What do you guys think?[/quote]

there were big plays in both games but im with you on the 90 game being my favorite!

both games were won on turnoves by the 9ers but the 90 game also had the Gary Reasons fake punt run; the Marshall hit; theEric Howard hit on Roger Craig and the LT recovered fumble from that hit!

also noteworthy for me in the 90 game was Matt Bahrs 5 field goals to win 15-12!

Have to go with 1990 for the reasons listed above, but also the quality of the respective teams.

And not only did the Giants prevent the 3-peat, but did it with a back-up QB and RB.

[quote user="BigBlue1971"]

[quote user="Cool Papa B."]Both games were great, well-played, smash-mouth defensive battles. BUT which game do you think was better? Which game was better played?; which one was more exciting; and which one was your favorite. I've thought about this, and I give a very slight edge to the 1990 NFCCG. Only because of the Marshall hit on Montana, and Sumerall call of "There Will Be No 3-Peat!" But 2011 awesome too. What do you guys think?[/quote]

there were big plays in both games but im with you on the 90 game being my favorite!

but games were won on turnoves by the 9ers but the 90 game also had the Gary Reasons fake punt run; the Marshall hit; the*Eric Howard hit on Roger Craig and the LT recovered fumble from that hit!

also noteworthy for me in the 90 game was Matt Bahrs 5 field goals to win 15-12!*

[/quote]

I was nervous as heck before that last FG. Bahr had missed the previous one from a closer distance and I afraid he would miss it.

I was a huge Montana fan back when he played..... so I am going with the 2011 team : )

All-Pro

well the 1990 championship game was a party for us from the word go and whilewe Giants fans will refer to it as a classic ... nobody else would

whereas the SF game was a true classic ... in fact the only thing that probably diminishes the level of classic it was ... is that people were/are still not sold on Alex Smith and we were only 9-7 (well 11-7)

and i know i was in agony for a good portion of the game ... it wasn't until the OT kick was on its way that i could truly celebrate

[quote user="G-Man67"]

well the 1990 championship game was a party for us from the word go and while*we Giants fans will refer to it as a classic ... nobody else would

whereas the SF game was a true classic ... in fact the only thing that probably diminishes the level of classic it was ... is that people were/are still not sold on Alex Smith and we were only 9-7 (well 11-7)

and i know i was in agony for a good portion of the game ... it wasn't until the OT kick was on its way that i could truly celebrate

[/quote]

+1

I was only two years old for the 1990 game. So I only really remember last year's game. It's definitely one of the most epic games I've witnessed though...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

The 1990 NFCCG was one of my favorite Giants games of all time . . . . ranks right after the SB victories as far as I am concerned.

2011 was great too, but just a tick below 1990's game . . . . . .

Veteran

[quote user="JJC7301"]Have to go with 1990 for the reasons listed above, but also the quality of the respective teams. And not only did the Giants prevent the 3-peat, but did it with a back-up QB and RB.[/quote]

Very good points.

I think I'll need a few years before I can judge either way....I'm still stoked about last year.