+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GIANTS' PLAYERS UNDER PRESSURE: SPENCER PAYSINGER

GIANTS' PLAYERS UNDER PRESSURE: SPENCER PAYSINGER

"Outside linebacker Spencer
    Paysinger
    surprisingly made the New York Giants
    roster in 2011 as an undrafted free agent from Oregon. Paysinger has his work
    cut out for him in 2012 to keep that roster spot.

Paysinger tied for fourth on the team last season with eight special teams
    tackles. He played only 50 defensive snaps the entire regular season, however,
    registering five tackles.

Paysinger faces tough competition in a linebacking corps even more crowded
    than it was last season. There are currently 11 linebackers on the Giants
    roster, including three veteran players who were not part of the team when
    Paysinger made the 53-man roster a season ago. Chase
    Blackburn
    returns. Keith Rivers
    was acquired from Cincinnati via trade. Clint Sintim
    is back for one more try after a pair of knee injuries.

Paysinger is most likely a weak side, or WILL, linebacker. Unfortunately for
    him, both Michael Boley
    and Jacquian
    Williams
    are ahead of him at that spot. Rivers has also been a WILL. On the
    other side the Giants have Mathias
    Kiwanuka
    , Sintim and could move Mark
    Herzlich
    or even Greg Jones to the strong side, or SAM.

Paysinger is a good player with coverage skills as a linebacker and the
    ability to help on coverage teams. Will that be enough to get him a spot on the
    2012 53-man roster? Only time will tell, but right now the numbers don't look
    good for him."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: GIANTS' PLAYERS UNDER PRESSURE: SPENCER PAYSINGER

I agree that Paysinger probably has an uphill battle, assuming no major injuries at the position

All-Pro

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]I agree that Paysinger probably has an uphill battle, assuming no major injuries at the position[/quote]

That's assuming a lot.

I love the LB competition this year, but I'm not sure if Paysinger will be able to crack the roster this time around. I think this is the area where the biggest shock will come. I think Boley and Kiwi are the starters with Williams Athleticism getting him on the field in passing downs. Rivers likely will stick (MLB would be my guess). As for the rest, it's a toss up!

Paysinger made the roster last year partly due to injuries at that position. But don't discount his performance in the preseason on defense. 19 tackles tied for 10th in preseason. I remember he lit it up against the Bears.

He will need to do the same this year...

[quote user="Spedracer"]Paysinger made the roster last year partly due to injuries at that position. But don't discount his performance in the preseason on defense. 19 tackles tied for 10th in preseason. I remember he lit it up against the Bears.

He will need to do the same this year...[/quote]

What about a spot on the practice team. Is that a possiblility or will another team swoop him up?

[quote user="jakegibbs"][quote user="Spedracer"]Paysinger made the roster last year partly due to injuries at that position. But don't discount his performance in the preseason on defense. 19 tackles tied for 10th in preseason. I remember he lit it up against the Bears.

What about a spot on the practice team. Is that a possiblility or will another team swoop him up?[/quote]

I do not believe a player is eligible for practice squad once he has spent time on the 53 man roster...

So,NO that is not a possibility.
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

[quote user="jakegibbs"][quote user="Spedracer"]Paysinger made the roster last year partly due to injuries at that position. But don't discount his performance in the preseason on defense. 19 tackles tied for 10th in preseason. I remember he lit it up against the Bears.

What about a spot on the practice team. Is that a possiblility or will another team swoop him up?[/quote]

He was active for 15 games last season so he isn't eligible for the practice squad on any team.

The rules state that any player who has been active for 9 games over his career is no longer eligible for the practice squad and is only eligible for the 53 man roster.

[quote user="Spedracer"][quote user="jakegibbs"][quote user="Spedracer"]Paysinger made the roster last year partly due to injuries at that position. But don't discount his performance in the preseason on defense. 19 tackles tied for 10th in preseason. I remember he lit it up against the Bears.

He was active for 15 games last season so he isn't eligible for the practice squad on any team.

The rules state that any player who has been active for 9 games over his career is no longer eligible for the practice squad and is only eligible for the 53 man roster.[/quote]

Thanks.... I was not sure the exact rule....But I was pretty sure he had more than enough time on 53 man roster to disqualify him from practice squad.....Actually I would have guessed it was less than nine games....but thanks for the clarification...
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

I think he will be a camp casualty 1st cut. I like the idea of bringing Greg Jones to the strongside. I think he fits better there than in the middle...I like Herzlichin the middle...I don't see a slot for Paysinger...he wasn't that effective where we should eliminate anyone with veteran Talent. Granted, the kid might come in with the mindset that he peter'd off last season early and he wants to prove to the coaches that they haven't seen the best from him yet...all young players should have that mindset though so...I am selling my stock on him....I am also selling my stock on Sintim, at a chopshop discount!