+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HAKEEM NICKS "OVERLY OPTIMISTIC", GIANTS SAY; HIXON PRACTICING WITH CRUZ ON FIRST TEAM

HAKEEM NICKS "OVERLY OPTIMISTIC", GIANTS SAY; HIXON PRACTICING WITH CRUZ ON FIRST TEAM

"Hakeem Nicks' recovery from
    a broken foot was expected to take anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks, but the New York Giants are tempering
    hopes for the wideout's hasty return from
    surgery
    to repair a broken
    foot

Team spokesman Pat Hanlon told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio on Wednesday that
    Nicks' projection of returning to the Giants by training camp is "overly
    optimistic," according to our friends at
    Rotoworld.com

Hanlon doesn't expect the Giants' second-leading pass-catcher from last
    season to participate in drills before the end of the 12-week recovery
    period.

Coach Tom Coughlin is confident Nicks' replacement can be found from within,
    and dismissed the
    notion
    of pursuing free agent Plaxico
    Burress

We also have this from ESPN New York's Ohm
    Youngmisuk on Wednesday:

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: HAKEEM NICKS "OVERLY OPTIMISTIC", GIANTS SAY ; HIXON PRACTICING WITH CRUZ ON FIRST TEAM

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]HAKEEM NICKS "OVERLY OPTIMISTIC", GIANTS SAY; HIXON PRACTICING WITH CRUZ ON FIRST TEAM

a broken foot was expected to take anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks, but the New York Giants are tempering
    surgery
    to repair a broken
    foot

Rotoworld.com

period.

and dismissed the
    notion
    Burress

Youngmisuk on Wednesday:

[/quote]

Manning's big 3 this year Nicks, Cruz & Hixon if his knees hold up. He's a proven talent just needs to stay healthy

All-Pro

Re: HAKEEM NICKS "OVERLY OPTIMISTIC", GIANTS SAY ; HIXON PRACTICING WITH CRUZ ON FIRST TEAM

From the time he had surgery I believe it was 15 weeks until the 1st game. Let him take the full 12 weeks and hopefully he can shake some rust off in the last 3 weeks and maybe even get in a pre season game or two.

As much as I want them to have him and beat Dallas the 1st game of the season, they need him to be healthy. Don't want him making it worse.

[quote user="jakegibbs"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]HAKEEM NICKS "OVERLY OPTIMISTIC", GIANTS SAY; HIXON PRACTICING WITH CRUZ ON FIRST TEAM

surgery
    to repair a broken
    foot

Rotoworld.com

period.

and dismissed the
    notion
    Burress

Youngmisuk on Wednesday:

[/quote]

Manning's big 3 this year Nicks, Cruz & Hixon if his knees hold up. He's a proven talent just needs to stay healthy[/quote]

I think # 3 is Hixon's to lose to competition
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

[quote user="buddy33"]From the time he had surgery I believe it was 15 weeks until the 1st game. Let him take the full 12 weeks and hopefully he can shake some rust off in the last 3 weeks and maybe even get in a pre season game or two.

As much as I want them to have him and beat Dallas the 1st game of the season, they need him to be healthy. Don't want him making it worse.[/quote]

The team is thinking long term, obviously. They tend to be cautious about players returning too soon from injuries.

I would be shocked if Hixon is the number 3! You can tell from all the articles that they are hoping/expecting Randle to win the job... IMO, Hixon is a good insurance policy, but his days as a major contributor are past him. It's not like he was ever a stud WR to begin with and now with the injuries..... He is good to have as a back up in case of injuries..

[quote user="nhpgiantsfan"]I would be shocked if Hixon is the number 3! You can tell from all the articles that they are hoping/expecting Randle to win the job... IMO, Hixon is a good insurance policy, but his days as a major contributor are past him. It's not like he was ever a stud WR to begin with and now with the injuries..... He is good to have as a back up in case of injuries..[/quote]

I listened to an Amani Toomer interview a few days ago and he said the transition for hm in to the NFL took two years, citing the speed of the game and the reads as major stumbling b locks to his development. Obviously, he overcame whatever difficulties he was having to end his career as one of the GIANTS' best receivers.

I think it's wise to expect some bumps in the road for all of our draft choices. He is a very good receiver, if healthy, and holds the franchise record for most all purpose yards in a single game. If the team didn't think he had value, he'd not have gotten a new contract.

So now the competition begins.

I disagree rf, respectfully of course. I think the praise and what the coaches have been saying makes me believe its randles job to lose.

The good news for me is ill be happy however it plays out, whether its jj, randle, barden, or hixon

lol at Hixon.

Dude is donner than disco.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

[quote user="giantsfan420"]I disagree rf, respectfully of course. I think the praise and what the coaches have been saying makes me believe its randles job to lose.

The good news for me is ill be happy however it plays out, whether its jj, randle, barden, or hixon[/quote]

Then why is Randle not practicing with the first team? Now will Randle supplant Hixon, or someone else, before the season ends? That's the question.

By all accounts, entering the NFL is like learning to speak another language at the speed of light.

It's a good position to be in , talent wise.