+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NY GIANTS' LINEBACKERS: A GUESS AT THE DEPTH CHART

NY GIANTS' LINEBACKERS: A GUESS AT THE DEPTH CHART

"Reading the transcript of Perry Fewell's remarks after Wednesday's OTA I
    was struck by how much the New York Giants
    defensive coordinator talked about the depth and versatility of the linebacking
    group.

Fewell's response when asked how he would envision using his
    linebackers gave you the idea that he really doesn't know the answer right now.

"I think it's important to see where guys fit with other guys... if we can
    play different combinations. That's kind of what we would like to do. That gives
    us an array of coverages, of pressures, of defenses that we would like to run.
    We'll try some different combinations that we will experiment with during the
    OTAs," Fewell said. "We're experimenting a little bit because with the addition
    of Rivers, obviously, we've gotten more athletic and we think we're a little
    better at linebacker now."

Here is my best guess at what the linebacker depth chart looks like right
    now, with Fewell having revealed that second-year player Greg Jones is being
    moved to the outside and Adrian Tracy
    will play defensive end.

Weakside (WILL) -- Michael Boley,
    Keith Rivers,
    Jacquian
    Williams
    , Spencer
    Paysinger

MIddle (MIKE) -- Chase
    Blackburn
    , Mark
    Herzlich
    , Jake Muasau
    [Rivers may eventually fit in here as well].

Strongside (SAM) -- Mathias
    Kiwanuka
    , Greg Jones, Clint Sintim
    [The Giants might also have the option of moving someone like Herzlich out here,
    but that has not been mentioned].

All 10 of these guys are not making the roster. It should be very interesting
    to see how this shakes out, and which combinations Fewell and head coach Tom
    Coughlin utlimately decide are their best ones."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: NY GIANTS' LINEBACKERS: A GUESS AT THE DEPTH CHART

I'm interested to see what they do at MLB. I think Chase, Rivers and Jones all have shots at starting.
    But if they all perform....well then I guess it's a good problem to have....
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Also...Muasau, Paysinger are kind of the odd men out most likely. And Sintim continues to walks the fine line of being on the team, already labeled with BUST status
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Linebacker is one of the most interesting positions this season. The addition of Rivers makes it extra competitive this year.

Boley - There was talk of him being moved to MLB, but it seems that is unlikely now. He pretty much is a lock at starting WLB.

Jacquain Williams - He had loads of playing time last year for a rookie and looked really good at it too. I think we will see him in a lot on passing downs, like last year. (Alongside of Boley, not instead of him.)

Chase Blackburn - I'm really glad to see they have him starting at MLB. It is his job to lose. He will fight hard to keep it. However, he has some really tough competition. Rivers has much more natural talent. Herzlich was coming on too as a rookie, prior to his injury. I can picture him making a case for himself.

Rivers - Looking to make the most of a fresh start, and on a championship team! Lots of potential here. I'm sure they will try him out in many spots, to see where he fits best. I'm thinking that's going to be MLB, and more than a good chance of starting MLB.

Kiwi - Lots of praise for him lately. Seems like with experience, he's starting to come into his own at SLB. Giants are paying him to be a starter, and on the field often.

Jones - Too much competition for him at MLB, so I think he's being tried out as a backup to Kiwi.

Sintim - He's only still around because of his injury last year. I thought prior to it, he wouldn't make the team. Can Jones take the backup spot from him? Sintim, still on the sideline, isn't even competing for his job at the moment. He better get himself back on the field soon if he wants to remain on the team.

Paysinger, Muasau - good competition, but more likely to land on the practice squad or another team in the end.

Do not feed the trolls.

Oh, and as long as it took them to finally resign Chase Blackburn, I think he's a lock to make the team in the end. He's proven his worth. At his worst, he can backup all three LB spots, and he's great on STs. At his best, he tenaciously retains his starting job.
    Do not feed the trolls.

Ive been speculating about how we r going to see a ton of diff looks and personnel packages from our lb unit.

Rivers, herz, bblackburn, boley...these guys will prob have snaps at more than one spot...i could see boley playing olb and ilb, same for rivers, jones, herz, blackburn...

Pf is gonna have a ton of versatility to work with. I actually think pf may be starting a trend where we see more units based on aggregates (edit-meaning we have a group made up of individuals who do certain things well that when all those individual skills add up u have acorp of lbs that can do everything) as opposed to having one big name superstar and then a big drop off in talent...

We have a corp of lbs that collectively can defend any situation, its now about getting the right guys in at the right situation

To add, We could have a situation where the second and third team lbs get near the amoint of snaps the first teamers get...

I like the competition at LB this year. Fewell got so giddy when he talked about the potential and level of atheleticism with this group.

I can see a group of Williams-Herzlich-Rivers coming in on passing downs, and then a group of Boley-Blackburn-Kiwi coming in on running downs. It will a lot of fun watching how Fewell mix's and match of the course of the season.

i know there was some dispute over this a while back...but can we bring the pictures of girls back at the end of RF's article posts? The offseason is just so boring lol. Anyway, thanks as always RF

Fewell envisions URFA Muasau as MLB

"Undrafted rookie LB Jake Muasau hasn't played a lot of MLB, but DC Perry Fewell sees a future for him at the position. “He looks like a natural MIKE,” Fewell said. “Even though he's not played (there), he looks more like a natural MIKE than some of the guys we've had.” One of the team's MLBs, Greg Jones, has been taking snaps outside, which could give Musasau room to grow."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-r.../post/19205149

Interesting that the kid has made an impression this early and that Greg Jones has been taking snaps at OLB.