+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran

Discouraging words from Mike Pope

" I told them today that not only do they not know what they are doing, but I donít know what they are doing. I donít know what Iím doing. This is a crash course for guys that havenít had the opportunities that we have had in past years where we could meet with these guys. These new guidelines that we are working under really, really do make it difficult for us to transport the knowledge to these guys. And the fact that we are, by design, having to move along very rapidly, it is beginning to all run together for them. We are in our third day today and today was just not very characteristic of Giants football. We have to be much better than that as we move forward. And it is the mass of information that we are giving them Ė it is just beginning to become a mix for them. So it is hard to tell exactly whether they are capable of playing because they are not sure exactly what they are doing. And with just helmets on, you canít get very much technique work done. So it needs to be assignment work, but today our assignments were not very good. So we have many miles before we sleep."

[link]http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Assistant-Coaches-on-OTA-Practice/498d6a75-7460-420e-bf0b-7bab72fab815[/link]

Re: Discouraging words from Mike Pope

[quote user="NY_Eli"]" I told them today that not only do they not know what they are doing, but I donít know what they are doing. I donít know what Iím doing. This is a crash course for guys that havenít had the opportunities that we have had in past years where we could meet with these guys. These new guidelines that we are working under really, really do make it difficult for us to transport the knowledge to these guys. And the fact that we are, by design, having to move along very rapidly, it is beginning to all run together for them. We are in our third day today and today was just not very characteristic of Giants football. We have to be much better than that as we move forward. And it is the mass of information that we are giving them Ė it is just beginning to become a mix for them. So it is hard to tell exactly whether they are capable of playing because they are not sure exactly what they are doing. And with just helmets on, you canít get very much technique work done. So it needs to be assignment work, but today our assignments were not very good. So we have many miles before we sleep."

[link]http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Assistant-Coaches-on-OTA-Practice/498d6a75-7460-420e-bf0b-7bab72fab815[/link][/quote]

I wouldn't be too concerned at this point in time. Think back to last pre-season when Gilbride teed off on Victor Cruz after he botched an assignment. The coaches know they only have so much time to get these guy to understand the playbook. They have to provide that sense or urgency from day one so the players don't shrug their mistakes off.

Cruz took the criticism and got better quickly. I'm not saying everyone can do that, but that's how it has top be approached.
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

Veteran

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="NY_Eli"]" I told them today that not only do they not know what they are doing, but I donít know what they are doing. I donít know what Iím doing. This is a crash course for guys that havenít had the opportunities that we have had in past years where we could meet with these guys. These new guidelines that we are working under really, really do make it difficult for us to transport the knowledge to these guys. And the fact that we are, by design, having to move along very rapidly, it is beginning to all run together for them. We are in our third day today and today was just not very characteristic of Giants football. We have to be much better than that as we move forward. And it is the mass of information that we are giving them Ė it is just beginning to become a mix for them. So it is hard to tell exactly whether they are capable of playing because they are not sure exactly what they are doing. And with just helmets on, you canít get very much technique work done. So it needs to be assignment work, but today our assignments were not very good. So we have many miles before we sleep."

[link]http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Assistant-Coaches-on-OTA-Practice/498d6a75-7460-420e-bf0b-7bab72fab815[/link][/quote]

I wouldn't be too concerned at this point in time.* Think back to last pre-season when Gilbride teed off on Victor Cruz after he botched an assignment.* The coaches know they only have so much time to get these guy to understand the playbook.* They have to provide that sense or urgency from day one so the players don't shrug their mistakes off.

Cruz took the criticism and got better quickly.* I'm not saying everyone can do that, but that's how it has top be approached.
    [/quote]

True, but you have to admit he sounds a little exasperated ("I don't know what I'm doing").

I think he's feeling the pressure, hopefully Bennett and co. can overcome this tough learning curve.

[quote user="NY_Eli"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="NY_Eli"]" I told them today that not only do they not know what they are doing, but I donít know what they are doing. I donít know what Iím doing. This is a crash course for guys that havenít had the opportunities that we have had in past years where we could meet with these guys. These new guidelines that we are working under really, really do make it difficult for us to transport the knowledge to these guys. And the fact that we are, by design, having to move along very rapidly, it is beginning to all run together for them. We are in our third day today and today was just not very characteristic of Giants football. We have to be much better than that as we move forward. And it is the mass of information that we are giving them Ė it is just beginning to become a mix for them. So it is hard to tell exactly whether they are capable of playing because they are not sure exactly what they are doing. And with just helmets on, you canít get very much technique work done. So it needs to be assignment work, but today our assignments were not very good. So we have many miles before we sleep."

I wouldn't be too concerned at this point in time. Think back to last pre-season when Gilbride teed off on Victor Cruz after he botched an assignment. The coaches know they only have so much time to get these guy to understand the playbook. They have to provide that sense or urgency from day one so the players don't shrug their mistakes off.

Cruz took the criticism and got better quickly. I'm not saying everyone can do that, but that's how it has top be approached.
    [/quote]

True, but you have to admit he sounds a little exasperated ("I don't know what I'm doing").

I think he's feeling the pressure, hopefully Bennett and co. can overcome this tough learning curve.[/quote]

It might just be his style, but I used the "sausage making" analogy last year. We all enjoy eating sausage but if we had to see it made we'd never touch it again. Pope and the rest of the coaches are making the sausage. []

The GIANTS have one of the top coaching staffs in the NFL, they know what they're doing.
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

Veteran

We are totally screwed.

[quote user="JMFP2"]We are totally screwed.[/quote]

Why is that?

Keep in mind hes working with some udfa and ps guys right now...doubt its gonna be looking great this early. Im just hopeful bennet and robinson are willing to put in the work

Veteran

[quote user="Mod_C"][quote user="JMFP2"]We are totally screwed.[/quote]

Why is that?
    [/quote]

Just kidding.

I would not poo poo this so quickly. Oline is a mess an absolute shower imo.

[quote user="Harooni"]I would not poo poo this so quickly. Oline is a mess an absolute shower imo.
    [/quote]

A little early to tell but clearly the new rules are making life more difficult