+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OSI UMENYIORA, GIANTS AGREE TO RESTRUCTURED CONTRACT

OSI UMENYIORA, GIANTS AGREE TO RESTRUCTURED CONTRACT

"The contract strife that has clouded the relationship between the Giants and defensive end Osi Umenyiora for
    the past few years seemingly has come to an end.

The Giants announced today that the club has reworked Umenyiora's contract.
    The terms of which were not disclosed but the team announced the deal was
    "restructured," as opposed to extended longer than this upcoming season.

"I appreciate Osiís patience and effort through this process,Ē Giants general
    manager Jerry Reese said in an announcement released by the team. ďWe talked it
    out, and it makes sense for everybody involved. We are very pleased, excited and
    looking forward to seeing number 72 on the field at Mondayís OTA.Ē

Said Umenyiora, "This gives me peace of mind, definitely. We just resolved a
    situation. It really was affecting me in a bad way. Because I didnít like all
    the negativity that was surrounding the whole situation. I couldnít stand it,
    because if you know me, you know Iím not that type of person. Iím just happy all
    that is over with and Iíll be there. Iíll play out this contract, Iíll play this
    year and Iíll play my heart out.Ē

Umenyiora's absence from the Giants' voluntary organized training activities
    this offseason has been conspicuous. There had been much speculation about
    whether he would show up for the only mandatory event of the spring, which is
    the full-squad minicamp from June 11-13.

The mystery has now been eliminated. Umenyiora said in the team's release he
    will be alongside his teammates Monday.

ďIíll be there,Ē Umenyiora said. ďI canít wait. Iím all in. Like Antrel
    (Rolle) says, 'Iím all in.'Ē

The financial terms of the contract have yet to be fully revealed but someone
    informed of the communcation between the sides said the Giants were recently
    offering a bump to the final season of Umenyiora's contract. The person
    requested anonymity because the negotiations were to remain private.

Umenyiora was scheduled to earn $3.975 million in base salary this season.
    The person said the Giants were offering to add $2-2.5 million in a signing
    bonus plus another $500,000 or so in a roster bonus and one more bonus if he
    reaches 10 sacks. The offer included an easily voidable 2013 season, which would
    allow the team to spread the cap hit over two seasons. It's unclear if the final
    agreement wound up in that range, but it's likely close to those numbers.

The Giants' offer (which, again, is likely in the neighborhood of the final
    deal) would benefit both sides because the team would get another season out of
    a two-time Pro Bowl pass rusher while Umenyiora, 30, would basically double his
    salary this season while setting himself up for a big payday next offseason as
    an unrestricted free agent. The carrot of hitting the market next spring also
    helps the Giants, as Umenyiora will remain motivated this season to prove he
    deserves a big contract.

Umenyiora confirmed
    to The Star-Ledger Thursday he parted ways with agent Tony Agnone
    this week.
    The timing of the firing and the contract extension indicates Agnone might have
    been a road block to this deal. (Not to mention the 3 percent fee Agnone would
    have received. On a contract of $7.5 million, that's $225,000 Umenyiora gets to
    keep. 7:00 p.m. UPDATE I'm told Umenyiora would still owe his original agent
    on the money that was negotiated back in 2006. So he'd save the fee on the $3
    million or so extra, which would equate to $100,000-plus.
    )

Politics aside, Umenyiora is pleased to put aside haggling over a new
    contract, which has been drawn out through the end of the NFL lockout last
    summer.

ďIím just happy, Iím happy all thatís over with,Ē Umenyiora said. ďItís time
    to get back to work. It was definitely frustrating (not being on the field this
    spring), but hearing
    some of the things they said, whether it was Kiwi
    or (Justin) Tuck or (Jason
    Pierre-Paul) or Antrel (Rolle) Ė hearing the way they supported me, it made me
    want to come back even more and be around them. Those guys really stepped up for
    me. I really appreciate it and Iím happy to be here with them."

ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

Re: OSI UMENYIORA, GIANTS AGREE TO RESTRUCTURED CONTRACT

More money, no additional years? The Giants got nothing from this deal. From a negotiating standpoint it is a failure.

Adding dead money to next years cap should be nice though

They got a happy Osi, playing for a new deal with the G-Men or anyone watching, and they got another year to see if he's worth a longer deal. It's a win-win.

[quote user="BlueBlooded1979"]More money, no additional years? The Giants got nothing from this deal. From a negotiating standpoint it is a failure.

Adding dead money to next years cap should be nice though[/quote]

This was one possibility Reese mentioned as far back as last summer--a restructuring of his final year on the existing contract, and address a new contract for 2013. So I don't see how this was a negotiating failure on the Giants part.

I personally think that the recent public vocal support of Osi and his negotiating for more compensation, by Tuck, Kiwi, and JPP a few weeks ago, may have moved the needle a bit for Osi to accept the Giants' offer.

It was no more than 2 days ago, right after Kiwi became the 3rd of the 3 DEs to stand up for Osi, that he was saying he and the team were "far apart".

Then, in less than 48 hours, he fires his agent and arrives at agreement with the Giants. I don't believe that sequence and timing are coincidences.

It is a win-win for 2012 at least.

It says easily voidable 2013 season. So does that mean if he gets injured in camp he will be under contract next season

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]It says easily voidable 2013 season. So does that mean if he gets injured in camp he will be under contract next season[/quote]

No. It appears to be some kind of accounting trick to spread the money he is getting this year over 2 years. If he does go down, they void the deal but still take a moderate cap hit.

The bad news with this deal is that there is no extension, so the "Osi contract chatter" will continue.

The good news is Osi is now silenced and highly motivated for another payday.

All-Pro

Well he fired his agent right? Did he hire another one? He just saved some money if he didn't.

[quote user="buddy33"]Well he fired his agent right? Did he hire another one? He just saved some money if he didn't.[/quote]

I have a feeling that Osi's next fight is with his agent.

The agent negotiates with the Giants for weeks and months,Osi fires him the day before the deal is signed and tries to stiff him on the commission???? Can't see the agent letting that fly if that's how it went down . . . . .

Listen,
    It's a one year deal. He deserved a raise and got it. After this year the Giants will let him walk. It's time to start preparing to lock up JPP. He's only going to get better and the better he gets, the more him and his agent will be looking at Mario Williams's contract. LOCK HIM UP NOW and forget all this Osi Extension or 1 year contract talk. Osi just cashed his last big check as a member of the New York Giants. END OF STORY.

Veteran

[quote user="redbeardxxv"]They got a happy Osi, playing for a new deal with the G-Men or anyone watching, and they got another year to see if he's worth a longer deal. It's a win-win.[/quote]

Absolutely.

Osi and the Giants can now focus on football.