+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NEWS, NOTES, RUMORS, AND GOSSIP: SATURDAY, JUNE 2, 2012 - 8:44 P.M.

HERE NOW THE NEWS

NEWS
    ARTICLES ABOUT THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED DAILY AND
    UPDATES ARE ADDED THROUGHOUT THE DAY. GENERAL SPORTS NEWS LINKS ARE
    ALSO INCLUDED.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

OSI UMENYIORA HAS "PEACE OF MIND" AFTER RESTRUCTURING CONTRACT WITH GIANTS

"Osi Umenyiora said four years of griping about his contract both publicly and
    behind the scenes was “affecting me in a bad way.” Unable to get a long-term
    extension or a trade, he opted for the best solution for everyone.

The two-time Pro Bowl defensive end and the Giants reached a one-year solution to a
    multi-year problem Friday by agreeing to restructure the final season of
    Umenyiora’s contract, thereby providing him with a few million dollars extra
    this year and a chance to earn plenty more as a free agent next spring while
    guaranteeing the team another season from a motivated, focused pass-rusher.

“I appreciate Osi’s patience and effort through this process,” Giants general
    manager Jerry Reese said in the news release announcing the move. “We talked it
    out, and it makes sense for everybody involved. We are very pleased, excited and
    looking forward to seeing No. 72 on the field at Monday’s OTA (organized team
    activities session).”

Umenyiora, who has been absent for all of the optional workouts the past
    month-plus, confirmed he’ll be at the team’s facility to start next week.

“I’ll be there,” Umenyiora said. “I can’t wait. I’m all in. Like Antrel
    (Rolle) says, ‘I’m all in.’?”

And all out of angst.

“This gives me peace of mind, definitely,” he said, adding: “I didn’t like
    all the negativity that was surrounding the whole situation. I couldn’t stand
    it, because if you know me, you know I’m not that type of person. I’m just happy
    all that is over with and I’ll be there.
    “I’ll play out this contract, I’ll
    play this year, and I’ll play my heart out.”

Someone informed of the details of the agreement said it’s not an extension
    and only a reworking of the final year of the contract Umenyiora signed in 2006.
    The person, who requested anonymity because the team did not comment on the
    terms, said the Giants vowed not to place the franchise tag on Umenyiora next
    spring.

Financial terms were not disclosed, either, but a person informed of the
    talks between the sides said the Giants were recently offering to almost double
    the $3.975 million Umenyiora was owed in base salary in 2012.

The person, who also asked not to be named because the negotiations were to
    remain private, said the team was proposing an additional $2 million to $2.5
    million in a signing bonus, another $500,000 or so in a roster bonus and an
    unspecified bonus if Umenyiora reached 10 sacks for the fourth time in his
    career. All of that puts the total offer in the $7 million to $7.5 million
    range.

The Giants’ recent offer also included an easily voidable year in 2013 to
    help spread the salary-cap hit over two seasons, though it’s unclear if that was
    included in the final agreement.

All of the previous negotiations were done under the supervision of Tony
    Agnone, Umenyiora’s agent from 2007 through this week. But Umenyiora
    confirmed in an e-mail to The Star-Ledger on Thursday he’d fired Agnone
    which indicates he finalized the deal by himself. It also means Umenyiora will
    save the standard agent fee on all of the “new” money he’ll earn. (At a standard
    fee of 3 percent, Umenyiora likely saved about $100,000 there.)

The timing of Umenyiora’s firing Agnone shortly before a new deal was reached
    indicates Agnone might’ve been a road block to an agreement.

“I’m just happy, I’m happy all that’s over with,” Umenyiora said. “It’s time
    to get back to work. It was definitely frustrating (not being on the field this
    spring), but hearing
    some of the things (the players) said
    — whether it was ‘Kiwi’ (Mathias
    Kiwanuka) or (Justin) Tuck or (Jason Pierre-Paul) or Antrel (Rolle) — hearing
    the way they supported me, it made me want to come back even more and be around
    them.

“Those guys really stepped up for me. I really appreciate it and I’m happy to
    be here with them.“

OSI UMENYIORA, GIANTS AGREE TO RESTRUCTURED CONTRACT

"The contract strife that has clouded the relationship between the Giants and defensive end Osi Umenyiora for
    the past few years seemingly has come to an end.

The Giants announced today that the club has reworked Umenyiora's contract.
    The terms of which were not disclosed but the team announced the deal was
    "restructured," as opposed to extended longer than this upcoming season.

"I appreciate Osi’s patience and effort through this process,” Giants general
    manager Jerry Reese said in an announcement released by the team. “We talked it
    out, and it makes sense for everybody involved. We are very pleased, excited and
    looking forward to seeing number 72 on the field at Monday’s OTA.”

Said Umenyiora, "This gives me peace of mind, definitely. We just resolved a
    situation. It really was affecting me in a bad way. Because I didn’t like all
    the negativity that was surrounding the whole situation. I couldn’t stand it,
    because if you know me, you know I’m not that type of person. I’m just happy all
    that is over with and I’ll be there. I’ll play out this contract, I’ll play this
    year and I’ll play my heart out.”

Umenyiora's absence from the Giants' voluntary organized training activities
    this offseason has been conspicuous. There had been much speculation about
    whether he would show up for the only mandatory event of the spring, which is
    the full-squad minicamp from June 11-13.

The mystery has now been eliminated. Umenyiora said in the team's release he
    will be alongside his teammates Monday.

“I’ll be there,” Umenyiora said. “I can’t wait. I’m all in. Like Antrel
    (Rolle) says, 'I’m all in.'”

The financial terms of the contract have yet to be fully revealed but someone
    informed of the communcation between the sides said the Giants were recently
    offering a bump to the final season of Umenyiora's contract. The person
    requested anonymity because the negotiations were to remain private.

Umenyiora was scheduled to earn $3.975 million in base salary this season.
    The person said the Giants were offering to add $2-2.5 million in a signing
    bonus plus another $500,000 or so in a roster bonus and one more bonus if he
    reaches 10 sacks. The offer included an easily voidable 2013 season, which would
    allow the team to spread the cap hit over two seasons. It's unclear if the final
    agreement wound up in that range, but it's likely close to those numbers.

The Giants' offer (which, again, is likely in the neighborhood of the final
    deal) would benefit both sides because the team would get another season out of
    a two-time Pro Bowl pass rusher while Umenyiora, 30, would basically double his
    salary this season while setting himself up for a big payday next offseason as
    an unrestricted free agent. The carrot of hitting the market next spring also
    helps the Giants, as Umenyiora will remain motivated this season to prove he
    deserves a big contract.

Umenyiora confirmed
    to The Star-Ledger Thursday he parted ways with agent Tony Agnone
    this week.
    The timing of the firing and the contract extension indicates Agnone might have
    been a road block to this deal. (Not to mention the 3 percent fee Agnone would
    have received. On a contract of $7.5 million, that's $225,000 Umenyiora gets to
    keep. 7:00 p.m. UPDATE I'm told Umenyiora would still owe his original agent
    on the money that was negotiated back in 2006. So he'd save the fee on the $3
    million or so extra, which would equate to $100,000-plus.
    )

Politics aside, Umenyiora is pleased to put aside haggling over a new
    contract, which has been drawn out through the end of the NFL lockout last
    summer.

to get back to work. It was definitely frustrating (not being on the field this
    spring), but hearing
    some of the things they said, whether it was Kiwi
    or (Justin) Tuck or (Jason
    Pierre-Paul) or Antrel (Rolle) – hearing the way they supported me, it made me
    want to come back even more and be around them. Those guys really stepped up for
    me. I really appreciate it and I’m happy to be here with them."

http://www.nj.com/giants/

NY DAILY NEWS

BILL PARCELLS VS. TOM COUGHLIN: WHEN IT COMES TOP THE BEST COACH IN GIANTS' HISTORY, START THE DEBATE

"Bill Parcells is
    considered the greatest coach in Giants history and is one of the favorites to
    be selected for the Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2013. If Tom
    Coughlin
    has not completely closed the gap on Parcells as the best Giants
    coach of all time, he's at least a big part of the conversation now that he's
    tied Parcells with his second Super Bowl championship.

I believe the edge goes to Parcells because he’s the one who changed the
    culture of the Giants and began this era of five Super Bowl appearances and four
    titles beginning with the first Super Bowl in 1986. In the last 26 seasons, the
    Giants have won more Super Bowls than any team (Pats and Cowboys have won three)
    and only the Patriots have been in more Super Bowls with six.

One more Super Bowl championship, or even appearance, and Coughlin jumps over
    Parcells. Steve Owen won two NFL Championships for the Giants when he was their
    coach from 1931-53, but he also lost six title games. He coached them nearly
    three times longer than Parcells or Coughlin.

Here’s some things to consider in the Parcells vs. Coughlin discussion:

- They each won the Super Bowl in their fourth and eighth seasons with the
    Giants. Parcells left after his eighth year. Coughlin, who will soon sign a
    multi-year extension, has time to add to his legacy.

- Parcells had to be stopped from talking to Atlanta after his first Super
    Bowl and quit after his second. Once he was hired as Giants coach in 2004,
    Coughlin has never wanted to leave.

- Parcells’ Super Bowl championships teams were better during the regular
    season. His 1986 team was 14-2 and in 1990 they were 13-3. Coughlin's Super Bowl
    teams were 10-6 in 2007 and last season became the first 9-7 team to win the
    Super Bowl. Parcells beat Hall of Famers John Elway and Jim Kelly in the Super
    Bowl. Coughlin has twice defeated Tom Brady, a future Hall of Famer.

- Coughlin, who was hired by Parcells in 1988 and worked for him for three
    seasons, has won his two titles with less talent. Parcells had two Hall of Fame
    players: Lawrence Taylor, the best defensive player in NFL history, and Harry
    Carson, one of the top middle linebackers in history. Parcells also had Carl
    Banks, better than any linebacker on Coughlin’s teams. Phil Simms would have
    made the Hall of Fame if he hadn’t gotten hurt in 1990 and finished off the
    Super Bowl season. Coughlin has two potential Hall of Famers: Eli Manning and
    Michael Strahan, who is eligible for the first time after this season and will
    be competing with Parcells for one of the five spots. He also has had elite
    defensive players with Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora and Jason Pierre-Paul. Hakeem
    Nicks and Victor Cruz are better than any receivers Parcells had on his Super
    Bowl teams.

- Parcells had the benefit of having Bill Belichick to run his defense.
    Belichick will make the Hall of Fame for getting the Patriots to five Super
    Bowls. Future head coaches Coughlin, Romeo Crennel, Al Groh and Charlie Weis
    were also on Parcells’ staff. Coughlin’s staff has been solid — Kevin Gilbride
    has done an excellent job with Manning for eight years and former defensive
    coordinator Steve Spagnuolo had as a good a year in 2007 as Belichick ever had
    as a Giants assistant. Spags went on to coach the Rams.

- Including playoff games, Parcells was 85-52-1 with the Giants; Coughlin is
    82-57.

It’s a tribute to Coughlin’s resiliency we can even put him anywhere near the
    same level as Parcells. There has been no in-between with Coughlin’s teams:
    They’ve either won the Super Bowl or been huge disappointments. He was nearly
    fired after the 2006 season and was given just a one-year extension after he
    basically had to re-interview for his job. He lightened up his approach with the
    players, they finally had his back, and then beat the undefeated Patriots in the
    Super Bowl, perhaps the second greatest Super Bowl upset in history following
    the Jets over the Colts in Super Bowl III.

Full disclosure: I thought the Giants should fire Coughlin after the ’06
    season. He had lost the locker room, which is hard to overcome. And when the
    Giants lost three straight last season to drop to 6-5 after a 6-2 start, I wrote
    that if Coughlin didn’t make the playoffs, which would have continued a trend of
    second-half collapses, I thought it was time for him to go. The Giants lost
    another game, then won three of their last four, including the sweep of the
    Cowboys, and went on another Super Bowl run.

Parcells, too, was almost fired by the Giants. After he was 3-12-1 in his
    first season, GM George Young flirted with the idea of hiring University of
    Miami coach Howard Schnellenberger — they had worked together with the Colts.
    Parcells lost both his parents that season and Young was not sure if the job was
    too big for him.

Parcells walked away after winning his second Super Bowl. Coughlin is
    sticking around to go for his third. If he gets it, he will be the greatest
    coach in Giants history.

THE REVIS MARKET

The Jets could be heading for another Summer of Revis. If the Jets indicated
    to Darelle Revis when he signed his four-year $46 million deal to end his
    summer-long holdout one week before the season opener in 2010, that the deal was
    two-year band-aid and they would negotiate again in 2012 — that’s what Revis
    believes — then they need to pay him. He has lived up to his end by being best
    defensive player in the league. They pushed $32.5 million in the first two years
    of his contract and he is making below market $13.5 million over the next two
    years. Regardless of any promises, Revis is going to have a hard time gaining
    public support if he holds out again. He’s not concerned about any backlash
    because it got pretty bad two years ago. “I don’t know if you looked at my
    Twitter,” he said. “I was getting death threats and everything. I’m getting
    stuff now on Twitter.” As part of the contract, if he holds out, the Jets can
    extend the deal three years at modest numbers. If Revis plays out the contract,
    the Jets can’t franchise him in 2014. That means they would have to renegotiate
    next year because there is no way they will let him become an unrestricted free
    agent after the 2013 season. The gamble of waiting for Revis, of course, is the
    fear of injury. But he is fearless when it comes to challenging the Jets. “I’m a
    corporation, too,” he told me the other day. . . . The Giants are a classy
    organization that takes care of its players. That’s why their hard line stance
    on Osi Umenyiora was so puzzling until they finally nearly doubled his money
    from $3.975 million to $7.5 million in 2012, the final year of his contract. He
    has been a great player and a key to two Super Bowl championships, he has never
    been an off-the-field headache, he plays hard and the extension he signed late
    in the 2005 season, his third year in the league, had become completely
    outdated. The three-man rotation of Tuck, Pierre-Paul and Umenyiora is not only
    the strength of the team, it’s the best in the league. . . . Yahoo reported that
    the Saints kept a ledger of weekly earnings for players in their bounty program
    and one of them was for $1,000 for a “cart-off” in a 2009 game against the
    Giants. There was no mention of the Giants player or the injury.

CAN T.O. BE HAPPY?

Terrell Owens just got fired by the Allen Wranglers of the Indoor Football
    League because they said he failed to fulfill his contract by missing a charity
    event at a children’s hospital. T.O. was a great player who messed up good
    things with the 49ers, Eagles and Cowboys and then became irrelevant with the
    Bills and Bengals. Randy Moss is getting another chance with the 49ers — ironic
    since that’s where Owens began his career — but when no NFL scouts showed up for
    Owens’ workout last October, it was a pretty good indication his NFL career is
    over. His career numbers may be good enough for the Hall of Fame, but if Owens
    would have ever let himself be happy, he could have done so much more. Jerry
    Jones liked Owens so much that he overruled Parcells when he signed him in 2006,
    but Owens made himself miserable in 2008 because he thought Tony Romo was
    throwing the ball to Jason Witten too much. Jones cut him after the
    season."

##

OSI UMENYIORA AND GIANTS AGREE TO A RESTRUCTURED CONTRACT; UNHAPPY DEFENSIVE END HAD ONE YEAR LEFT ON DEAL

"Osi
    Umenyiora
    will play for the Giants this year.

After that, who
    knows?

The defensive end, who just parted ways with longtime agent Tony
    Agnone
    , reached an agreement Friday on a restructured contract, one that
    will still leave him a free agent at the end of the 2012 season, according to
    NFL sources.

Due to make $3.975 million in the last year of a $41 million
    extension he signed in 2007, Umenyiora will have his salary bumped to $7.5
    million, according to sources. The new deal, terms of which were not disclosed
    by the Giants, likely includes a voidable 2013 season for salary cap
    purposes.

Umenyiora, 30, has skipped all the Super Bowl champs’ voluntary
    workouts this spring but will be on the field with the team Monday, when he will
    sign the deal.

“I’m just happy, I’m happy all that’s over with,”
    Umenyiora said in a release issued by the team. “It’s time to get back to work.
    It was definitely frustrating (not being on the field), but hearing some of the
    things they said, whether it was Kiwi (Mathias Kiwanuka) or (Justin) Tuck or JPP
    (Jason Pierre-Paul) or Antrel (Rolle) . . . hearing the way they supported me,
    it made me want to come back even more and be around them. Those guys really
    stepped up for me. I really appreciate it and I’m happy to be here with
    them.”

“I appreciate Osi’s patience and effort through this process,”
    said general manager Jerry Reese, who had worked out a new deal with Kiwanuka
    earlier this spring. “We talked it out, and it makes sense for everybody
    involved. We are very pleased, excited and looking forward to seeing No. 72 on
    the field.”

The timing, so soon after the Agnone firing, is interesting,
    to say the least. According to one NFL source, the Giants came to Umenyiora and
    said a deal could be made if he ditched Agnone, who has had some bad blood with
    Reese. Prior offers included an incentive-based raise. Umenyiora wanted a
    guaranteed raise, and he got it.

“This gives me peace of mind,
    definitely,” said Umenyiora, who had been unhappy with negotiations since last
    year’s lockout. “We just resolved a situation. It really was affecting me in a
    bad way. Because I didn’t like all the negativity that was surrounding the whole
    situation. I couldn’t stand it, because if you know me, you know I’m not that
    type of person. I’m just happy all that is over with and I’ll be there. I’ll
    play out this contract, I’ll play this year and I’ll play my heart
    out.

“I’ll be there,” he said with regards to Monday’s workout. “I can’t
    wait. I’m all in. Like Antrel says, I’m all in.”

Umenyiora had long felt
    like the odd man out as other defensive teammates received better deals, but his
    only other option this year was to sit out, something he seemed reluctantly
    willing to do. He might still reunite with Agnone once his free-agent status
    arrives.

At least for one season, the deal is a win-win situation for
    both sides. Umenyiora doubles his salary for the coming season and should be
    extremely motivated for his next big contract when he becomes a restricted free
    agent, while the Giants will have the two-time Pro Bowler in camp from the
    start.

WIN FOR BROWN
    Tailback Andre Brown, who was
    set to start 2012 with a four-game suspension, won his appeal against the NFL
    after failing a test for performance-enhancing drugs and had the ban lifted by
    the league."

OSI UMENYIORA, GIANTS AGREE ON RESTRUCTURED CONTRACT

"Maybe agents are over-rated.

A day after Osi Umenyiora parted
    ways with long time representative Tony Agnone, the defensive end agreed to a
    restructured contract, ending speculation that he could have played his last
    game as a Giant.

"I'm just happy, I'm happy all that's over with,"
    Umenyiora said in a release sent out by the team. "It's time to get back to
    work. It was definitely frustrating (not being on the field this spring), but
    hearing some of the things they said, whether it was Kiwi or (Justin) Tuck or
    JPP (Jason Pierre-Paul) or Antrel (Rolle) – hearing the way they supported me,
    it made me want to come back even more and be around them. Those guys really
    stepped up for me. I really appreciate it and I'm happy to be here with
    them."

"I appreciate Osi's patience and effort through this process,"
    said GM Jerry Reese, who had worked out a new deal with Mathias Kiwanuka earlier
    this spring. "We talked it out, and it makes sense for everybody involved. We
    are very pleased, excited and looking forward to seeing number 72 on the field
    at Monday's OTA."

Umenyiora has not participated in the team's drills
    with his status uncertain. Terms of the contract, which has been discussed since
    last year's lockout, were not disclosed but Umenyiora was clearly relieved to
    remain a Giant.

"This gives me peace of mind, definitely," Umenyiora
    said. "We just resolved a situation. It really was affecting me in a bad way.
    Because I didn't like all the negativity that was surrounding the whole
    situation. I couldn't stand it, because if you know me, you know I'm not that
    type of person. I'm just happy all that is over with and I'll be there. I'll
    play out this contract, I'll play this year and I'll play my heart
    out.

"I'll be there," he said with regards to Monday's LOTA. "I can't
    wait. I'm all in. Like Antrel says, I'm all in."

Umenyiora has long been
    unhappy with the six-year, $41 million extension he signed in 2007 as other
    defensive teammates were rewarded with better deals. He had one year left, due
    $3.975 million this season, and his only other option at this point was to sit
    out."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giant

NY POST

OSI EARNS RAISE FROM GIANTS

"What Osi Umenyiora, his teammates, coaching staff and front office all wanted
    to see happen finally became a reality yesterday, when the formerly disgruntled
    defensive end agreed to a restructured contract that will keep him in Giants
    blue in 2012.

A source said no years were added to the contract and Umenyiora still will be
    a free agent after the season. But with the new contract, Umenyiora will make
    around $7 million, a significant raise over the scheduled $4.7 million.

to get back to work. It was definitely frustrating [not being on the field this
    spring], but hearing some of the things they said — whether it was Kiwi [Mathias
    Kiwanuka] or [Justin)] Tuck or JPP [Jason Pierre-Paul] or Antrel [Rolle] —
    hearing the way they supported me, it made me want to come back even more and be
    around them.

“Those guys really stepped up for me. I really appreciate it, and I’m happy
    to be here with them.”

Umenyiora and the Giants have been at odds seemingly since the moment he
    agreed to a seven-year, $41 million deal after the 2005 season. He tried to
    force a trade last summer and again this offseason while staying away from all
    team activities.

The news comes shortly after Umenyiora parted ways with longtime agent Tony
    Agnone, who told The Post earlier yesterday he was “stepping aside so the Giants
    can do the right thing and take care of [Umenyiora].”

That move sparked this new deal, one Umenyiora negotiated himself.

“I appreciate Osi’s patience and effort through this process,” general
    manager Jerry Reese said. “We talked it out, and it makes sense for everybody
    involved. We are very pleased, excited and looking forward to seeing No. 72 on
    the field at Monday’s OTA.”

A key component to the Giants winning their second Super Bowl in the past
    five seasons, Umenyiora, 30, received unanimous support from his teammates. In
    the past weeks, notables such as Tuck, Kiwanuka, Pierre-Paul and Rolle were
    adamant Umenyiora was stuck in a bad contract and deserved more money.

“This gives me peace of mind, definitely,” Umenyiora said. “We just resolved
    a situation. It really was affecting me in a bad way because I didn’t like all
    because if you know me, you know I’m not that type of person. I’m just happy all
    that is over with, and I’ll be there. I’ll play out this contract. I’ll play
    this year and I’ll play my heart out.”

Umenyiora battled knee and ankle injuries last season that limited him to
    nine regular-season games. He was dropped to a backup role after Pierre-Paul
    dominated in his absence.

But after returning from a high-ankle sprain in the season-ending,
    division-clinching win over the Cowboys, Umenyiora was a postseason force during
    the Giants’ Super Bowl run with 3 1/2 sacks in the four games. Overall,
    Umenyiora had 12 1/2 sacks in 13 games last season.

This is a win-win for the player and team. The Giants keep a feared pass
    rusher in their defensive-end rotation, and Umenyiora gets more money and a
    chance to play for a new contract in 2013 with the Giants or another team.
    Umenyiora, a second-round selection out of Troy State in 2003, has played all
    eight seasons of his career with the Giants.

Umenyiora said he was in top condition, according to the Giants, and will be
    at OTAs on Monday.

“I’ll be there,” he said. “I can’t wait. I’m all in. Like Antrel says, I’m
    all in.”

* Giants running back Andre Brown had his four-game suspension lifted
    yesterday.

Brown had been banned four games in May after he reportedly tested positive
    for Adderall, which he takes to treat attention deficit hyperactivity
    disorder.

“Suspension lifted !!!!!!!! Thank God,” Brown posted on his Twitter
    account."

GIANTS' OSI UMENYIORA FIRES AGENT, COULD REPRESENT HIMSELF

"Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora confirmed to The Post that he has fired
    agent Tony Agnone.

Umenyiora has been unhappy with his contract in recent seasons and held out
    last year, and has not showed up at OTAs thus far.

"It means nothing as far as a new deal but we both decided that a new
    approach might be necessary at this time," Umenyiora wrote in an email to The
    Post.

Last year, the Giants gave Agnone permission to seek a trade, but could not
    find any takers with the high asking price of a first-round round pick. The
    Giants have offered the disgruntled lineman an extension, but Umenyiora said it
    is only worth half of what the team guaranteed Mathias Kiwanuka ($10.95 million
    over three years) in an extension agreed to this offseason.

Umenyiora could take over any future negotiations himself.

"I have no plans on hiring a new agent at this time," he said.

Agnone has been Umenyiora’s agent since the 2007 offseason, a few months
    after Umenyiora signed a six-year extension.

"I'm stepping aside so the Giants can do the right thing and take care of
    him," Agnone said in an email."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/giants

THE BERGEN RECORD

GIANTS, OSI UMENYIORA AGREE TO RESTRUCTURED CONTRACT

"The Giants were not forced to satisfy Osi Umenyiora’s demands for a more
    lucrative contract. In the reality of the NFL, there was nothing he could do
    about it.

Umenyiora essentially was backed into a corner, well aware a season-long
    holdout in the final year of his existing contract would accomplish very little
    in his quest for a new deal.

That did not stop the Giants from showing some love to one of their most
    productive players, however; in turn, the decision ended nearly two years of
    discontent and disagreement between Umenyiora and the front office.

With general manager Jerry Reese agreeing to restructure Umenyiora’s contract
    Friday, what the Giants essentially have for this season is a competitive
    game-changer motivated to earn an even bigger contract on the open market in

The team did not disclose the terms of the new deal, but it is believed the
    Giants doubled Umenyiora’s existing contract, which now will pay him about $7.5
    million in 2012 before he becomes an unrestricted free agent following the
    season.

“This gives me peace of mind, definitely,” Umenyiora said in a team release.
    “We just resolved a situation. It really was affecting me in a bad way. Because
    I didn’t like all the negativity that was surrounding the whole situation. I
    couldn’t stand it, because if you know me, you know I’m not that type of person.
    I’m just happy all that is over with and I’ll be there. I’ll play out this
    contract, I’ll play this year and I’ll play my heart out.”

Umenyiora’s chances at being paid among the league’s top defensive ends are
    dependent on that. The Giants are counting on his performance to once again be
    at that level.

Less than 24 hours after news broke that Umenyiora had parted ways with agent
    Tony Agnone, the reworked deal that brings the two-time Pro Bowler back into the
    fold was announced.

Even with Umenyiora opting not to participate in the voluntary off-season
    training program, staying away from team events such as the Super Bowl ring
    ceremony last month, Giants’ players have continued to voice support for their
    teammate.

From Jason Pierre-Paul and Justin Tuck to Mathias Kiwanuka and Antrel Rolle,
    some of the highest-profile members of the reigning Super Bowl champions backed
    his quest.

They didn’t necessarily take sides against the Giants, but certainly made it
    known they believed he deserved better than what he was being paid under his
    previous contract.

Umenyiora told The Record in an email Wednesday night that kind of support
    from his teammates “makes things that much harder for me. Because those are the
    people I need to be around.”

He reiterated that sentiment Friday, promising to be back on the field for
    Monday’s organized team activity session, which will be open to the media.

“I’m just happy, I’m happy all that’s over with,” said Umenyiora, 30. “It’s
    time to get back to work. It was definitely frustrating [not being on the field
    this spring], but hearing some of the things they said, whether it was Kiwi or
    Tuck or JPP or Antrel — hearing the way they supported me, it made me want to
    come back even more and be around them. Those guys really stepped up for me. I
    really appreciate it and I’m happy to be here with them.”

Umenyiora collected 12.5 sacks in 13 games last season, including 3.5 in the
    playoffs.

“I appreciate Osi’s patience and effort through this process,” Reese said.
    “We talked it out, and it makes sense for everybody involved. We are very
    pleased, excited and looking forward to seeing No. 72 on the field at Monday’s
    OTA.”

Added Umenyiora: “I’ll be there. I can’t wait. I’m all in. Like Antrel says,
    I’m all in.”

BROWN WINS APPEAL: Running back Andre Brown had his four-game suspension for
    violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing drugs overturned on
    appeal by the NFL."

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pro_sports/football/

WALL STREET JOURNAL

ZILCH

http://online.wsj.com/public/page/news-sports-nfl.html

THE NEW YORK TIMES

GIANTS' UMENYIORA AGREES TO DEAL

"Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora avoided a second straight off-season of
    contract controversy by agreeing to a restructured deal Friday, the team
    announced.

Umenyiora, whose 69 career regular-season sacks places him fourth on the
    Giants’ all-time list, was unhappy with his contract last off-season and did not
    report to training camp on time. He had skipped all previous team workouts this
    off-season as he sought a new deal again, and Umenyiora said in the team’s
    release that he was excited to put the negotiations behind him and will be
    present for Monday’s training session.

a situation. It really was affecting me in a bad way. Because I didn’t like all
    that is over with and I’ll be there. I’ll play out this contract, I’ll play this

Umenyiora joins Mathias Kiwanuka as prominent defensive players to sign new
    contracts with the Giants this off-season. Terms of Umenyiora’s agreement were
    not disclosed."

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/sports/football/index.html

GIANTS 101

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS EARNED REWARDS FOR INJURING GIANTS' PLAYERS IN 2009

"In the last 24 hours, it's been revealed that the New Orleans Saints not only
    placed bounties on opposing players, but actually kept a ledger detailing the players
    they injured and the payouts that were made as a result. It's the latest in a
    long line of revelations as it relates to BountyGate.

"The players clearly knew what was going each week with the payments," a
    source told Yahoo! Sports.

The ledger carefully detailed all payouts, "cart-offs", "whacks" and
    deductions for "mental errors." Included in said ledger was a $1,000 payout for
    a "cart-off" on October 18th, 2009 in a game against the New York
    Giants

Although the injured players name was not immediately made available, a live
    blog of the game, courtesy of the New York Times, revealed that offensive
    lineman Kareem
    McKenzie
    had been carted off after sustaining a groin injury. This occurred
    during a pile up for a loose ball, and coincides with many reports of dirty
    tactics courtesy of the Saints during fights for fumbles.

Another interesting note in the NYT live blog was the hit that led to the
    fumble:

"On his next play, Manning was sacked hard by Roman Harper and fumbled.
    Manning’s head snapped back when he was hit from behind."

The hit on Manning was deemed legal and Harper was not fined, but it's
    already been made public that Gregg
    Williams
    and the New Orleans Saints frequently targeted quarterbacks. In
    hindsight, it makes you question every play and whether or not the intention was
    there to injury Manning.

Meanwhile, McKenzie would go on to miss the following game against the
    Arizona Cardinals as a result of the groin injury sustained at the hands of the
    Saints."

##

GIANTS VS. NFC EAST: AN EARLY LOOK

"For Big Blue, six games out of every 16-game schedule are against their NFC
    East Division Rivals: Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles and Washington
    Redskins. The 2011 New York Football Giants swept Dallas,
    split with Philadelphia and went winless against Washington. How will this
    slightly changed 2012 Giants team fair against each?

Head Coach Tom Coughlin will undoubtedly preach his “one game at a time”
    mantra, but it’s not breaking news to know that the team that wins the division
    is most definitely in the playoffs. These games are also the ones that almost
    always come down to the last few minutes and can go either way – meaning
    win-loss records going in mean absolutely nil. Division opponents know each
    other the best and can find that one area of weakness and exploit it as long as
    possible during a 60-minute gridiron battle.

Since the upcoming season is to be opened at home against the Dallas Cowboys,
    they will be perused first. Most Giants fans will be quick on the draw to place
    all of their woes on QB Tony Romo. While he isn’t Eli Manning, it’s unfair to
    put the team on his back. He can’t handle that. They have offensive line issues
    as well as defensive line issues. They’re trying to repair the secondary, but if
    no one can get to the gunslinger (besides Demarcus Ware), how does that help
    their defensive backfield? The Giants clearly had offensive line concerns last
    year during their first meeting and yet Manning got his job done as did the blue
    receivers. Jason Garrett is under massive amounts of “Jerry pressure”. Jones has
    already passed comment about Romo and seemingly has had to defend his own
    decisions annually. Until the Cowboys become a team with a clear-cut leader, the
    G-men can still pull together to hand them continued heartache.

Ask a Washington Redskin fan about the New York
    Giants
    and they’ll recall the two “W” over them last year as if they won the
    big game in February. Some fans do have a distorted view of their team, but… The
    2011 Redskins had a defense that helped them enough into possible opportunities
    for the offense to take control; that never happened. Turnovers happened. For a
    team that used to capitalize on a positive turnover ratio, last year they
    couldn’t hold onto the rock and they couldn’t overcome that. Place a brand new
    quarterback under center and one wonders if he (along with a questionable Mike
    Shanahan) can make the changes necessary – especially in the NFC East where the
    defenses are all about getting the ball back into the offense’s possession. You
    need an offense that’s complete, however. No game in the division is a given,
    remember? Yeah, so does Coughlin.

Now for the Philadelphia Eagles, the shortest trip to the worst division
    rival atmosphere – for fans as well as the New York
    Giants
    . A hostile environment isn’t the problem in Philly. Some place blame
    on head coach Andy Reid. Others place it on offensive line coach-turned
    defensive coordinator Juan Castillo and his “Wide 9” scheme. The jokesters out
    there are still faulting former-Eagle Vince Young’s “Dream Team” statement. Each
    one can actually be part of the collective cause.

Andy Reid definitely has a different coaching technique than Coughlin (who
    got his team to become All In and Finish), so there’s a bit of a discipline
    question still open. The players got ahead of themselves with the dream team
    talk and instead of bonding and forming a team; they remained ego-driven parts.
    While the Eagles defense can still create turnovers, the issue was more at the
    point of attack – tackling and assignments. Hey, the Giants had the same type of
    problems early on too, but remained on track and overcame the youth,
    inexperience and those injuries too. Schemes obviously can be part of the
    problem, but not entirely. On the other side of the ball, Michael Vick and his
    offensive line aren’t feared as they were in early 2010 (wonder who drew-up the
    blueprint on how to attack him). LeSean McCoy is “the guy” now.

Each NFC “Beast” team has their offseason points to address. One is just
    addressing them as experienced World Champions.

GIANTS' 2012 SEASON: MOST LIKELY OSI UMENYIORA'S FAREWELL TOUR

"Many New York
    Giants fans expressed jubilation yesterday when word came out that defensive end
    Osi Umenyiora had signed a new
    restructured contract with the team
    . However, the details of the contract
    only confirmed what many fans have long suspected: that this will be Osi's final
    season with Big Blue.

Instead of extending Umenyiora's deal, General Manager Jerry
    Reese
    merely gave the star defensive end a considerable amount of "hush
    money" to entice him to play out the final year of his current contract without
    causing any more controversy. Although many fans would love to see
    their beloved Umenyiorafinish his career with the New York
    Giants , this season may very well be a farewell tour for the 10-year veteran.
    Below, we will look at why the New York Giants will most likely cut ties with Osi after
    this season.

Age and Injury Concerns
    OsiUmenyiora will turn 31 this season, and with his previous injury
    history, it seems likely that we will see a drop in his production in the near
    future. Osi missed the entire 2008 season with a torn meniscus in his knee, and
    he missed seven games last year with knee and ankle injuries. It would not be
    prudent to give significant money to a player that is not only entering the
    latter stages of his career, but also has a considerable history of serious
    injury. Although Osi Umenyiora is still capable of being a good player in the NFL, it is safe
    to say that his best days are behind him. Giving a raise to a player who will
    only produce less as the contract goes on does not make any sense from the
    Giants' standpoint.

New York
    Giants Depth at Defensive Line
    Even if the New York
    Giants could overlook Osi Umenyiora's age and injury concerns, the incredible
    depth of the defensive line is another reason to let the star defensive end walk
    at the end of the season. With Justin
    Tuck
    , Jason Pierre-Paul, Chris Canty, Linval
    Joseph
    , and Marvin
    Austin
    , the Giants would still have considerable depth at defensive line
    even without Osi on the roster. Yesterday when addressing OsiUmenyiora's
    contract situation, New York Giants safety Antrel
    Rolle
    stated:

"We have a very, very good defensive line without Osi, without a doubt. But
    with Osi in that lineup we have an outstanding defensive line."

While Rollecertainly was not trying to imply that Umenyiora is expendable,
    he acknowledged that the Giants still have an extremely talented defensive line
    without him. Osi Umenyiorais the third defensive end on the depth chart and is
    mainly used as a pass rushing specialist. He does not play every down and has
    never been considered a run stopper. It would be uncharacteristic of General
    Manger Jerry
    Reese
    to give a significant contract to a non-starter and a player who is
    more of a luxury than a necessity.

Justin
    Tuck
    and Jason Pierre-Paul Will Soon Need New Contracts

Both Justin
    Tuck
    and Jason Pierre-Paul have outplayed their current contracts and will
    be hitting the free agent market in two and three years respectively. However,
    Jerry
    Reese
    may be inclined to lock up his dynamic defensive end duo before they
    ever get to free agency. That being said, it is going to take a considerable
    amount of money to make that happen.

It would not be a stretch of the imagination for the Giants to have close to
    $20-$25 million per year locked up in their two star pass rushers in the
    foreseeablefuture. Although OsiUmenyiora is reported to be seeking top-5
    defensive end money, his market value can better be measured by the contract
    that Robert Mathis of the Indianapolis Colts signed this offseason at 4 years/ $36
    million. Both Umenyiora and Mathis have been in the league the same amount of
    time, both have had the same amount of sacks over the past two seasons, and
    neither have ever been the premier pass rusher on their respective teams.
    Granted, Mathis had five more games to reach the same number of sacks as
    Umenyiora. However, the Colts often played from behind last year, causing
    opposing teams to pass less, and therefore giving Mathis less opportunities to
    rush the passer. Furthermore, Mathis is much better against the run and is
    considered to be more of an every down defensive end than Umenyiora. He has a
    cleaner bill of health than does Osi; so Osi will most likely take a little less
    than the $36 million Mathis got.

If the Giants want to keep both Tuck and Pierre-Paul for the foreseeable
    future, signing Osi Umenyiora to a long term contract anywhere near what Robert
    Mathis received would seriously jeopardize those efforts. The Giants can only
    have so much money tied up at one position, no matter how important it is,
    before it is time to seek younger and cheaper alternatives to fill the depth
    chart. Also, Hakeem Nicks and Victor
    Cruz
    will surely both want number one receiver money in the near future, so
    paying your third best defensive end any serious amount of money is not an
    option if Jerry
    Reese
    wants to keep the team's young core intact.

Osi Umenyiorahas been an outstanding player for the New York
    Giants ever since he came into the league in 2003. Since that time, he has won
    two Super Bowl's, made two Pro Bowls, and has garnered the respect and
    admiration of every New York Giants' fan who has had the privilege to watch
    him play. Unfortunately, the NFL is a business, and as AntrelRolle eloquently pointed
    out yesterday "business is business and sometimes business can get a little
    sticky." The Giants are coming to an eventual crossroads, where they are going
    to have to pay their core of young players. As much as all parties involved
    would love for Osi Umenyiorato finish his career with Big Blue, the business
    side of the NFL will most
    likely preclude that from happening.

At some point while watching Osi Umenyiora play this year, take a second to
    think about all he has meant to the entire New York Giants organization. He has been part of the
    core of Big Blue through several ups and downs, and no matter what he has always
    left his heart out on the field attempting to bring home a victory for the New York
    Giants. However, understand that this is likely that last harrah for number 72
    in a New York
    Giants uniform."

GIANTS, UMENYIORA AGREE ON RESTRUCTURED CONTRACT

"The wait and standoff is now over. The New York
    Giants
    and two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Osi
    Umenyiora
    have agreed on a restructured contract that
    will keep the Chief in blue for at least one more season.

“I appreciate Osi’s patience and effort through this process,” general
    manager Jerry Reese said. “We talked it out, and it makes sense for everybody
    involved. We are very pleased, excited and looking forward to seeing number 72
    on the field at Monday’s OTA.”

Umenyiora is expected to return to the team on Monday for voluntary Organized
    Team Activities (OTAs), and says he is "All In."

a situation. It really was affecting me in a bad way. Because I didn’t like all

Financial details of this new contract have not yet been revealed, but
    whatever the agreement is, it seems to have pleased Umenyiora. In all
    likelihood, the team simply added more guaranteed money to Osi's final year
    without any sort of extension. It will be enough to get him on the field this
    season, but may still be his final year with New York.

to get back to work. It was definitely frustrating [not being on the field this
    spring], but hearing some of the things they said, whether it was Kiwi or Tuck
    or JPP or Antrel – hearing the way they supported me, it made me want to come
    back even more and be around them. Those guys really stepped up for me. I really
    appreciate it and I’m happy to be here with them.”

Umenyiora fired his agent, Tony Agnone, on Thursday, saying he had come
    to the conclusion that he didn't believe Agnone could help him with the current
    situation. Apparently he was correct, as the two sides came to a new agreement
    in less than 24 hours after the agent was terminated.

Giants 101 will update the situation with contract details as they become
    available.

UPDATE: Albert Breer of NFL Network reports the restructured deal is worth between $7 – $7.5
    million and contains a voidable year to soften the cap hit. However, various New York beat writers are reporting no additional
    years have been added to the deal.

http://www.giants101.com/

BIG BLUE VIEW

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: NEWS, NOTES, RUMORS, AND GOSSIP: SATURDAY, JUNE 2, 2012 - 12:22 P.M.

It's Official Osi staying home day !!!!!!! Thanks RF !
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

[quote user="G-Men Surg."]It's Official Osi staying home day !!!!!!! Thanks RF ![/quote]

[Y]
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

thanks Roanoke! [B]

im stoked about the Osi deal. now everyone can get on the same page!

Go Giants!

[quote user="BigBlue1971"]

thanks Roanoke! [B]

im stoked about the Osi deal. now everyone can get on the same page!

Go Giants!

[/quote]

R E P E A T!

out of curiosity did any of u play in the golf outing with the Giants. My dad told me today he played with Markus Kuhn. Said Reese was in the 4some ahead of him

Not me

the more I read of Greg Williams and those bounties it makes me feel like I would love to take him out behind a building somewhere and whip his *** for pulling this kind of garbage in the league we love so much.....

[quote user="JesseJames"]the more I read of Greg Williams and those bounties it makes me feel like I would love to take him out behind a building somewhere and whip his *** for pulling this kind of garbage in the league we love so much.....[/quote]

I wonder if they are going to let him back into the League?

Finally, the Osi saga is over...Ok, whose's next.

Thanks Roanoke