+ Reply to Thread

Remember when.....

There was a time when reporters reported, gave their opinions, and players just played ball. Get what I am saying here?

Everytime I turn on the TV or internet sports pages, I find players trying to confront reporters. Since when did athletes become so sensitive?

Most recently, Ryan Clark went on TV and was noticably pissed that a TV personality had negative things to say about him. Give me a break! Get over it!

Well, that concludes my weekly rant. Hope ya'll enjoyed

Re: Remember when.....

[quote user="GiantSinceBirth78"]There was a time when reporters reported, gave their opinions, and players just played ball. Get what I am saying here? Everytime I turn on the TV or internet sports pages, I find players trying to confront reporters. Since when did athletes become so sensitive? Most recently, Ryan Clark went on TV and was noticably pissed that a TV personality had negative things to say about him. Give me a break! Get over it! Well, that concludes my weekly rant. Hope ya'll enjoyed [/quote]I've got no argument with your point that players should justplay and ignore the reportersbut, remember when reporters actually had brains and opinions that were worth listening to?
    No one remembers who came in second.

You have a valid point. back then there were only a few media outlets with valid reporters. Now we have 100's of reporters that just give there biased opinion rather than thought out analysis.

Remember when reporters "reported" unbiased facts, rather than opinions? Journalism is long dead, the tabloids have won. Thank your fellow Americans, this is what they want apparently.

[quote user="GiantSinceBirth78"]You have a valid point. back then there were only a few media outlets with valid reporters. Now we have 100's of reporters that just give there biased opinion rather than thought out analysis.[/quote]Biased opinions would actually be a step up lol. What we get ismostly factless, mindless stream of consciousness intended to get a rise out of the listener/reader without regard for much else.
    No one remembers who came in second.

[quote user="jomo"][quote user="GiantSinceBirth78"]You have a valid point. back then there were only a few media outlets with valid reporters. Now we have 100's of reporters that just give there biased opinion rather than thought out analysis.[/quote]Biased opinions would actually be a step up lol. What we get is*mostly factless, mindless stream of consciousness intended to get a rise out of the listener/reader without regard for much else.[/quote]
    Let's add... without respect.
    reporters delved into player's personal lives... their family, their partying habits, where they shopped, who they dated, and whether or not they kicked their dog.
    In return the players reacted without respect for the reporters. You can't blame them.
    Outside of being a total jerk or acting icriminal, I just want to judge my players by their play... how welll they play and how good a team member they are. If I find out that they're an altar boy... well, OK. But, I don't care. One of the reasons I don't care is because I know the Giant brass, top to bottom, tries hard to get men with decent character. When they take a shot with someone like Christian Peter they do their homework and they sign him with the intention of providing the best guidance and counselling that they can. We'll never return to the 'good old days', and that's too bad. So, I am just more careful about who I'll listen to, or who I'll read. If I know they're often full of BS and looking to fry someone's rep, I just don't bother with them. Just tell me who played well and what the game was all about.