+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jerry Reese Squeezen Up Those Lemons

The man just turns Lemons into Lemonade. When we lost out on getting Vonta Leach . He finds an undrafted Fullback who hits like a truck, leaps over defenders for 1st downs. And who can think of a cooler name for a fullback than Hynosoris. All our TEs go down in camp, yet some little unknown named Bear Pascoe picked up the slack. Think of all the coin Jerry saved with those 2 positions alone.

Re: Jerry Reese Squeezen Up Those Lemons

[quote user="BlueBlitzer"]The man just turns Lemons into Lemonade. When we lost out on getting Vonta Leach . He finds an undrafted Fullback who hits like a truck, leaps over defenders for 1st downs. And who can think of a cooler name for a fullback than Hynosoris. All our TEs go down in camp, yet some little unknown named Bear Pascoe picked up the slack. Think of all the coin Jerry saved with those 2 positions alone.[/quote]agreed. not to mention not panicking and forcing draft picks for lb help, when he just converted kiwi to a lb.
    Clock makes a fool of history...

You're right... but, JR is wise... he looks for solid players to fill in the gaps... they don't have to be name stars to catch his eye.
    For example, there are hundreds of TE's in any college class... guys that are solid FB players... they're just not 6'6", 260, and fast. The book on someone like Bear is... solid blocker, not a lot of speed but has good hands and doesn't fumble.
    Well, that's all JR is looking for. He doesn't need the next Mark Bavaro, or Tony Gonzales... just someone reliable who isn't going to mess up and miss a block or drop one of the 2 passes Eli might throw his way.

[quote user="zimonami"]You're right... but, JR is wise... he looks for solid players to fill in the gaps... they don't have to be name stars to catch his eye.
    For example, there are hundreds of TE's in any college class... guys that are solid FB players... they're just not 6'6", 260, and fast. The book on someone like Bear is... solid blocker, not a lot of speed but has good hands and doesn't fumble.
    Well, that's all JR is looking for. He doesn't need the next Mark Bavaro, or Tony Gonzales... just someone reliable who isn't going to mess up and miss a block or drop one of the 2 passes Eli might throw his way.[/quote]

You're 100% on the money re Reese's overall approach.

HOWEVER, if I'm honest with myself, I wouldn't say no to a Mark Bavaro 2.0......

No offense every one. But this approach spelled out just seems like common sense.

"Get guys that don't fumble..."

Him, like any GM, look for coachable guys that study the fundamentals of football.

[quote user="gmen46"][quote user="zimonami"]You're right... but, JR is wise... he looks for solid players to fill in the gaps... they don't have to be name stars to catch his eye.
    Well, that's all JR is looking for. He doesn't need the next Mark Bavaro, or Tony Gonzales... just someone reliable who isn't going to mess up and miss a block or drop one of the 2 passes Eli might throw his way.[/quote]

HOWEVER, if I'm honest with myself, I wouldn't say no to a Mark Bavaro 2.0......[/quote]
    Another Bavaro would be a dream. It's been too long.
    I'd also appreciate a really stud LB. Doesn't have to be an LT... but a Carson, Banks, Pepper, or Armstead would be nice... and, is overdue.

I love Jerry Reese but let's remember that he offered Albert Haynesworth 80mil. Thank you Danny Snyder! He's gotten some luck along the way. I'd say it's a toss-up beween him and Ozzie Newsome for best exec.

[quote user="FloydEddings2"]I love Jerry Reese but let's remember that he offered Albert Haynesworth 80mil. Thank you Danny Snyder! He's gotten some luck along the way. I'd say it's a toss-up beween him and Ozzie Newsome for best exec.[/quote]

He might have. For all we know, that might have been the least amount offered him by any team in the league. We also don't know if that was a 6 year, 80 Million, 50 Million guaranteed contract, or 6 year, 80 Million, 11 Million guaranteed, with an option after the third year. Making it, technically, three years, eleven million dollars.

Look at the contract Gronkowski signed yesterday. 6 years, 52 million. In reality, 16.5 is guaranteed money, and he can be cut after the third year without any cap penalty.

All-Pro

[quote user="zimonami"][quote user="gmen46"][quote user="zimonami"]You're right... but, JR is wise... he looks for solid players to fill in the gaps... they don't have to be name stars to catch his eye.

HOWEVER, if I'm honest with myself, I wouldn't say no to a Mark Bavaro 2.0......[/quote]
    Another Bavaro would be a dream. It's been too long.
    I'd also appreciate a really stud LB. Doesn't have to be an LT... but a Carson, Banks, Pepper, or Armstead would be nice... and, is overdue.[/quote]Yes but Reese has equaled what George Young did with all those guys you mentioned without actually having an LT, Banks, Carson, Jessie or bavaro to work with
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

I think "lemons" is misleading. JR simply has an eye for finding diamonds in the rough.

But let's spread the wealth to the coaches that coach them up as well.

And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, **** waffles.......G Carlin