Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OSI UMENYIORA'S REWORKED CONTRACT WITH GIANTS: THE REAL NUMBERS

OSI UMENYIORA'S REWORKED CONTRACT WITH GIANTS: THE REAL NUMBERS

"Before I get into this, I want to correct one thing about the value of Osi
    Umenyiora's new deal
    as I had reported it.

I had previously mentioned the Giants
    had offered Umenyiora $7 million to $7.5 million over one year, per someone
    familiar with previous talks. I've since learned that's incorrect and that I
    misunderstood.

What that person was trying to tell me was that, one, the total I just
    mentioned was over two years (the second year being easily voidable) and, two,
    perhaps the Giants would give Umenyiora a bump to make this thing happen. In
    other words, the person was suggesting the offer could have been increased from
    the one-year proposal that was previously $6.5 million.

That's a long way of explaining my previous estimate was incorrect. I'm
    rereading the texts and seeing where the miscommunication occurred. Sorry about
    that, folks.

Anyway, the point of this entry is to let you know I finally have the real
    numbers on Umenyiora's new deal, which ESPN's Andrew Brandt reported on Monday
    was worth $6.5 million. The "base" numbers I have add up to $6 million. Take a
    look:

Signing bonus: $2 million
    Base salary: $2.5 million
    Reporting
    bonus: $250,000
    Roster bonus: $750,000 ($46,875 per game on the 46-man active
    list) Roster bonus: $500,000 ($31,250 per game on the 53-man roster)

Base salary: $1 million
    Note: This is a voidable year. What makes
    it void was not included in the breakdown I received, but trust me when I say
    it'll void extremely easily. Umenyiora won't be playing under this deal next
    year.

Now, as I mentioned, Brandt had this deal at $6.5 million. He didn't provide
    a breakdown of how he got to that number, so I can't tell you how he got there.
    I do know, as I've previously reported, the Giants were offering a sack bonus if
    Umenyiora reached 10 sacks. Perhaps that's where the extra $500,000 lies.

In any event, this is all finally behind us. All of us."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: OSI UMENYIORA'S REWORKED CONTRACT WITH GIANTS: THE REAL NUMBERS

IF and I mean IF we were to franchise tag him next year......what would be the salary for that?

[quote user="GGTM_1977"]IF and I mean IF we were to franchise tag him next year......what would be the salary for that?[/quote]

It would be the average of the top five defensive ends in the NFL. But I don't see that happening unless something happens to Tuck or JPP in the mean time. It isn't all about Osi, as there are other players who have to be considered for new contracts
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Thanks RF for clearing up the numbers.

[quote user="nygsb42champs"]Thanks RF for clearing up the numbers.[/quote]

That sure was confusing. But Osi seems happy now so we should be able to expect a grand showing frorm him this season.

# 80

All-Pro

In any event, this is all finally behind us. All of us."

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="GGTM_1977"]IF and I mean IF we were to franchise tag him next year......what would be the salary for that?[/quote]

It would be the average of the top five defensive ends in the NFL. But I don't see that happening unless something happens to Tuck or JPP in the mean time. It isn't all about Osi, as there are other players who have to be considered for new contracts
    [/quote]

Franchise tag for DE's this year was $10.6M.

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="GGTM_1977"]IF and I mean IF we were to franchise tag him next year......what would be the salary for that?[/quote]

It would be the average of the top five defensive ends in the NFL.* But I don't see that happening unless something happens to Tuck or JPP in the mean time.* It isn't all about Osi, as there are other players who have to be considered for new contracts
    [/quote]

Franchise tag for DE's this year was $10.6M.

[/quote]

Thanks, was wondering what it was this year. Franchise tag doesn't seem logical; however, keeping him on the roster may, in fact, be affordable.

The interesting part of this deal is it actually has about the same cap hit as his old deal.

6-7 mil over two years. is roughly 3.5 mil a year cap hit.

Because the second year will be voided, the rest of that 3 mil cap hit will hit at the end of this season.

So before that final cap check from the league is due, the giants will have to find a way to purge another ~3 mil in cap.

I'm glad all of this has been worked out and Osi can focus on winning another Super Bowl. but does anyone else think they overpaid for Osi a little bit?