+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

20/70/10 Philosophy

See below... interesting read. I think the Giants operate by a similar model. We must because our strong front office leads to an influx of great players. In the case of (middle 70) guys like Manningham/Boss/Jacobs, we know we can't sign them all. So my question is... who is your "Top 20" of the Giants... the irreplaceable ones It should be about 11 on a 53-man roster.

In no particular order for me:

Eli Manning
    Hakeem Nicks
    Victor Cruz
    JPP
    Tuck
    Snee
    Webster
    Weatherford (if you disagree just look at how they treated him this off season
    Terrell Thomas OR Prince (TBD this year)
    Michael Boley
    Osi

Naturally it's impossible to keep all top 20 always, but the philosophy does help put things into perspective when it comes to prioritizing.

Here is the excerpt:

Smith said he's studied NFL history at length, and he's studied business models of different business leaders. One that he's adopted is former GE boss Jack Welch's 20-70-10 philosophy: the top 20 percent of your employees are standouts and must be nurtured. The majority, the 70 percent, are the working class -- needed but still able to move if the right situation arises. The lowest 10 percent have to be churned and replaced, because a company always is looking for ways to get better by importing new blood. "If you have a 53-man roster, maybe you've got 10 or 11 core players,'' Smith said, "and then 25 to 30 roles players, and then you're always looking to churn the bottom of the roster.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1wrf4lwUw

Re: 20/70/10 Philosophy

The thing that has to be considered is this list needs to be reevaluated every season.

For instance, Snee may be a "core" player for the next couple years, but at some point he starts to break down and becomes not only not a core player, perhaps not even a role player.

100% true. Something fans struggle with when it comes to contracts.

Should have figured you'd be the one to respond, this post actually includes thought about the team rather than freaking about power rankings, draft grades, or the number of players in the top 100 poll.

Agreed
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

I was going to say, even with how the Giants treated him this off-season, I wasn't too sure about Weatherford. However, the more I think about it, I think you are right, sir! He would not be easy to replace.
    Do not feed the trolls.

I know this sounds crazy and I am sure I a forgetting someone but Weatherford might be the Giants best free agent signing ever.

The Middle guys the Giants try to keep but only if its on their terms. They almost give take it or leave it offers. When u start over extending yourself to keep the middle guys thats when the overall quality of the roster goes down the drain

[quote user="nygsb42champs"]I know this sounds crazy and I am sure I a forgetting someone but Weatherford might be the Giants best free agent signing ever.[/quote]

you could say that. I mean, he touches the ball 8 times a game, but they've been A outcomes every time. I can't remember a bad punt or hold from him, ever. and he showed his worth in the field position battles in the NFCCG and SB.

hard to say if he's the greatest FA of all time though, the Giants have had a a lot of good and cost effective ones recently. Kawika Mitchell, AP, Sam Madison, Mike Barrow, Kerry Collins, Rich Seubert and Matt Bryant if you count undrafted FAs, Fred Robbins, Plaxico Burress, Jim Finn, Omar Stoutmire, Derrick Ward, Mike Cloud, Kurt Warner, Jeff Feagles, Kareem Mckenzie, Shaun O'Hara,

actually, thinking back, the only busts I can think of have been Kenny Holmes, Dorsey Levens, Brian Mitchell, Bob Whitfield the lunatic, and thats about it. the organization rarely throws money at castoffs from another team.

Eli
    JPP
    Nicks
    Tuck
    Cruz
    Weatherford
    C-Web
    TT (baring injury)
    Kiwi
    Osi

Chase Blackburn - he just keeps coming back ahaha jk

Veteran

[quote user="NYG 5"][quote user="nygsb42champs"]I know this sounds crazy and I am sure I a forgetting someone but Weatherford might be the Giants best free agent signing ever.[/quote]

you could say that. I mean, he touches the ball 8 times a game, but they've been A outcomes every time. I can't remember a bad punt or hold from him, ever. and he showed his worth in the field position battles in the NFCCG and SB.

hard to say if he's the greatest FA of all time though, the Giants have had a a lot of good and cost effective ones recently. Kawika Mitchell, AP, Sam Madison, Mike Barrow, Kerry Collins, Rich Seubert and Matt Bryant if you count undrafted FAs, Fred Robbins, Plaxico Burress, Jim Finn, Omar Stoutmire, Derrick Ward, Mike Cloud, Kurt Warner, Jeff Feagles, Kareem Mckenzie, Shaun O'Hara,

actually, thinking back, the only busts I can think of have been Kenny Holmes, Dorsey Levens, Brian Mitchell, Bob Whitfield the lunatic, and thats about it. the organization rarely throws money at castoffs from another team.

[/quote]

Excellent memory.