+ Reply to Thread

Mega lawsuit vs. NFL by ex-players claims league hid brain injury links

First of all, I want to say that this is of huge importance, particularly going forward towards making the game as safe as possible for the players.

Also, it's important for helping fund the past player problems directly resulting from football related serious injuries.

See story:
    http://dailycaller.com/2012/06/07/me...-injury-links/

Having said that, there is an unseemly side to this, that is, no matter what the arguments may be, there is no way to keep a player entirely safe from many of these major life threatening problems that result from playing a violent game.

And while a past player in deep agony may say he would not play if he had it to do all over again, in most cases, that same player would have said he didn't care what the risks are when he was playing! You could ask any player playing today that same question.

Knowing that when you play any sport, there is an inherent risk of serious or even life threatening injury is a given is not something that any league should have to bother to stipulate in order to avoid courtroom pain.

Maybe in this litigious happy society, a ruling by a court will end up requiring a warning sign to be placed on the stadium jumbotron before each kickoff saying:

"Warning players: This game may be hazardous to your health. Proceed at your own risk or leave the field immediately."

Re: Mega lawsuit vs. NFL by ex-players claims league hid brain injury links

[quote user="GreenZone"]First of all, I want to say that this is of huge importance, particularly going forward towards making the game as safe as possible for the players.

Also, it's important for helping fund the past player problems directly resulting from football related serious injuries.

See story:
    http://dailycaller.com/2012/06/07/me...-injury-links/

Having said that, there is an unseemly side to this, that is, no matter what the arguments may be, there is no way to keep a player entirely safe from many of these major life threatening problems that result from playing a violent game.

And while a past player in deep agony may say he would not play if he had it to do all over again, in most cases, that same player would have said he didn't care what the risks are when he was playing! You could ask any player playing today that same question.

Knowing that when you play any sport, there is an inherent risk of serious or even life threatening injury is part of that is not something that any league should have to stipulate. Maybe in this litigious happy society, a ruling will end up requiring a warning sign to be placed on the stadium jumbotron before each kickoff saying:

"Warning players: This game may be hazardous to your health. Proceed at your own risk or leave the field immediately."

[/quote]
    From what I understand, there are 1500 plaintiffs. If the suit gets them $1 billion, they will each get $600k.

Yeah, who would have guessed getting drilled in the head for a living may cause a brain injury...

Something that will not work in favor of the plaintiffs was the very vocal reaction from current players about efforts to make the game safer.