+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Jake Ballard was a lot better than his stats show

Time and time again Ballard made huge catches that weren't the very best thrown balls. It seemed he was always showing up in the clutch. When it came to blocking he had that down pat as well. I'm not mad at Jerry, it was a mistake. I understand what he was trying to do. However, it ended up biting us in the ***. Ballard was a great player last season and it's going to suck seeing him play else where.

Re: Jake Ballard was a lot better than his stats show

600 yards..

so what are you saying.. his talent is equivalent to that of a 1000 yard receiving TE?

Ballard was a solid player but no dynamic receiving threat by any means. I think his microfracture + acl surgery is an overlooked factor here. In the fall of 2013, when he'll actually play, I don't think he's going to play at a very high level during this time

Eli seemed to target him quite a bit in the redzone, so there must've been a significant level of trust there.
    Ballard could easily have wound up with more touchdowns. He was stopped an inch short on multiple occasions.

Didnt run very well, not very explosive. Average blocker.

Had good hands, did a nice job finding holes in zone defenses.

Not sure how much better he could actually get. Physically there is very little he could have improved.

[quote user="Neverend"]600 yards..

so what are you saying.. his talent is equivalent to that of a 1000 yard receiving TE?

Ballard was a solid player but no dynamic receiving threat by any means. I think his microfracture + acl surgery is an overlooked factor here. In the fall of 2013, when he'll actually play, I don't think he's going to play at a very high level during this time[/quote]

600 yards for his first season actually playing is pretty good. He made a ton of big catches down the field. I don't think he is a Jimmy Graham or a Gronkowski but still a very solid TE.

Fact is that in Gilbrides System the TE only gets so many chances and Ballard made the best, for him to get 600 yds. in that offense is a miracle itself.
    Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

All-Pro

I don't wan it to sound like I don't appreciate every thing he did while he was here, but he is not the athlete KP is and it took about 2 full seasons for KP to get back to form. Ballard was a slow TE. If he loses a step he will be extremely slow.

[quote user="Neverend"]600 yards..

Ballard was a solid player but no dynamic receiving threat by any means. I think his microfracture + acl surgery is an overlooked factor here. In the fall of 2013, when he'll actually play, I don't think he's going to play at a very high level during this time[/quote]
    Talent and production are not the same thing.

[quote user="Joe Morrison"]Fact is that in Gilbrides System the TE only gets so many chances and Ballard made the best, for him to get 600 yds. in that offense is a miracle itself.[/quote]

Absolutely correct. TEs are linemen first, pass catchers a distant second
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

[quote user="slipknottin"]Didnt run very well, not very explosive. Average blocker.

Had good hands, did a nice job finding holes in zone defenses.

Not sure how much better he could actually get. Physically there is very little he could have improved.[/quote]

Ok lets now you say he couldnt improve. People say all the time that Witten couldnt run and wasnt explosive too. Ballard was able to get open and thats all that matters......instead you want to drool over workout warriors like the rookie we drafted or a Bennett who has a nice physique. I want football players...not bodybuilders and track stars. Ballard made PLAYS....just like Blackburn made plays....you win championships with guys like that. Finding holes in the zone and being on the same page as your QB is more important than guys like Beckum who is suppose to be athletic but can't get open or catch when he does.