+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GIANTS' KEVIN GILBRIDE SAYS DAVID WILSON IS UNLIKE ANY PLAYER HE'S COACHED WITH THE TEAM

GIANTS' KEVIN GILBRIDE SAYS DAVID WILSON IS UNLIKE ANY PLAYER HE'S COACHED WITH THE TEAM

"Kevin Gilbride has coached his fair share of dynamic weapons in his five
    seasons leading the Giants offense. He's had Tiki Barber, Ahmad Bradshaw and
    Brandon Jacobs at running back; and Plaxico Burress, Hakeem Nicks and Victor
    Cruz at wide receiver to name a few.

The list is long and accomplished, but Gilbride doesn't believe he's ever had
    a piece to utilize quite like rookie running back David Wilson.

"I don't know if we've had a guy as explosive, regardless of the position,
    here," said Gilbride of the Giants' first-round pick. "Tiki was a tremendous
    all-around back, Brandon would give you something, Ahmad gives you toughness,
    but this guy's got the explosion I'm not sure how many guys in the league have."

Gilbride, entering his sixth season as Giants offensive coordinator, added
    that it's early and Wilson has plenty of learning to do before he can transfer
    his skill set to when it matters most, but during the team's three-day minicamp
    this week Wilson provided a dose of his potential by consistently darting to the
    outside and turning the corner out of the backfield.

"There are guys in this league who have physical credentials and you say,
    'Oh, why can't he play?' Because he can't learn." Gilbride said. "I don't think
    David's that case. I think he's going to learn, but right now he's very
    definitely in step one."

Gilbride contrasted Wilson to second-year running back Da'Rel Scott, whose
    straightaway speed is perhaps tops on the team and is different than the
    shiftiness Wilson brings.

"A waterbug kind of a guy, that's what he looks like to me," Gilbride said of
    Wilson.

With or without Jake Ballard officially on the roster, Gilbride knew he
    wasn't going to get on the field in 2012 and he'd need to find another starting
    tight end for the second straight season.

With the timetable for Travis Beckum's return still in question, his top
    options presently are Bear Pascoe and Martellus Bennett, but with Bennett
    nursing a minor hamstring injury, the starting spot belongs to Pascoe.

It's very similar to the position Gilbride found himself in last year.

"Right now we got a long way to go with that," Gilbride said. "In fairness
    when we lost Kevin Boss [last year], I kind of was thinking, 'Woah, where are we
    going to go.'

"You're hoping Martellus, that's why he was brought here. You're hoping
    Adrien Robinson down the road will be the guy, if not Bear's going to be the
    guy. Somebody's got to do it."

Ballard's inability to play in 2012 didn't make his loss to the Patriots
    easier for Gilbride.

"He'll be sorely missed," Gilbride said. "We knew we weren't going to have
    him this year, but he was a guy that could've been a starter for a long time so
    now somebody else has got to step up."

Over his first three seasons in the NFL, Hakeem Nicks has recorded statistics
    that compare to the league's best to begin a career, becoming Eli Manning's
    go-to target in the process. But even with his early success, Gilbride said the
    foot injury that has Nicks out for about 12 weeks came at an inopportune time
    during his career.

"The thing that's a tragedy here is that there were so many things that we
    were looking forward to really developing with him and really taking advantage
    of this time to really focus on developing his entire skill set.

"This was going to be a great chance for him to really, really – us to go
    another step ahead for him. But there's nothing you can do, you can't do it.
    He's hurt and he's not there."

Gilbride said he hopes Nicks will be ready for the season opener, if not
    training camp.

"I'm hoping. I got my legs crossed, my knees are hurting from praying," he
    said.

With Nicks out, Gilbride said he's been impressed with Rueben Randle's speed
    and threw a name out there that most don't recognize: Brandon Collins.

Collins, a rookie out of out Southeastern Louisiana, made a few catches in
    traffic during Tuesday's practice and Gilbride admitted he didn’t know much
    about him going in.

"I've seen more quickness than anything," Gilbride said. "Good speed, great
    quickness, but also picking up the offense pretty quickly."

The similarities between Victor Cruz and Julian Talley are almost too easy.
    Both are wide receivers out of UMass, both are from New Jersey and both signed
    with the Giants as undrafted free agents.

The two are even close friends, but Gilbride put the brakes on assuming the
    two are the same on the field.

"Victor is just a thicker, more muscular, type of guy," Gildbride said.
    "Victor's run-after-the-catch right from the first year kind of stood out. We
    haven't had a chance to assess that [with Talley]. I'll get a better – I think –
    feel for him maybe two or three weeks into training camp. Right now it's hard
    for me to make a good judgment on him."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: GIANTS' KEVIN GILBRIDE SAYS DAVID WILSON IS UNLIKE ANY PLAYER HE'S COACHED WITH THE TEAM

holy....

Starter

Re: GIANTS' KEVIN GILBRIDE SAYS DAVID WILSON IS UNLIKE ANY PLAYER HE'S COACHED WITH THE TEAM

it's so cool that our first 2 picks are guys we're gonna get to see play quite a bit, especially wilson. i'm really excited to see what they can do.

If we have a better than average running game this season, watch out
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

If wilson can be that Meggett type player with better speed and power I will be thrilled. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

High praise indeed from Kevin Gilbride. Makes me more optimistic that he'll do well. I am still apprehensive about the running game due to the porous offensive line play last year. With drunken David Diel at LT and "get pushed around Baas" at center, and no RT that we know of yet, it's not making me very confident.

Having said all that, I know nothing about football because each year I think they are going to fail, they wind up doing well and when I think they will win the SB they don't make the playoffs.

Scoops

It seems as though Wilson/Scott is the future Bradshaw/Jacobs...

And on top of that, I think Wilson will see some time as a KR or PR... that kind of shiftiness is good in the return game as well as the ground attack.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckKnoxx View Post
    Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]If we have a better than average running game this season, watch out
    [/quote]We'll need improvement from the OL for that to happen but everything I have seen in the tape of this guy tells me he can be very dangerous and very special for us. Go Blue!!
    No one remembers who came in second.

I smell more screens. Gilbride has been around for a good minute, he will run the offense according to his personnel. As explosive as they are saying this kid is. . . .I believe he will come up with creative ways to get him the ball with space. Tiki was good with the screens and I think this kid have more tools than what Tiki had.

[quote user="Toadofsteel"]It seems as though Wilson/Scott is the future Bradshaw/Jacobs...

And on top of that, I think Wilson will see some time as a KR or PR... that kind of shiftiness is good in the return game as well as the ground attack.[/quote]

I duno about him being a return man too. He might, and he certainly has the skillset. But, the Giants, under TC, have a history of not allowing Rbs who are in the rotation also return kicks. Back in 2007 when Ab was a rookie he returned kicks for us until he was promoted into the rotation later in the season, he was immediately removed from return duty.

I think Hosely will get a crack at it before Wilson, especially as a punt returner.