+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big Blue Wrecking Crew Could Be # 1

The Giants seem to be solid everywhere on Defense. With a " Ball Hawking " secondary, a Suffocating Defensive Line, and a veteran LBing Corp, that can get the job done.

All-Pro

Re: Big Blue Wrecking Crew Could Be # 1

IF they stay healthy they can be very good. IF the injured players come back and play well they can be very good.

The secondary should be good, but I'm worried about TT. Until I see him play on that knee I have my doubts. If he is able to play and play well and Rolle can move back to play his Safety position they could be very good. I really like what I saw from Prince in a limited role last year.

The LB's are underrated. I was not confident in them last year but hey turned out to be pretty good.

The DL is the DL. If they stay healthy they will be fine. I'm pulling for Austin. I think if he can shake off the rust we will be in for a pleasant surprise. A DT that can stop the run anD rush the passer along wit the DE's pouring it on all game.

I don't think the LBers are underated at all. Boley has arrived, Kiwi also. Chase played solid ball. He may not be the answer at MLB, but you have to give the man His due. Of course the DL is our Strength. But the secondary has been flooded with quality players, that all bring something to the table.

Here was the rankings last year

29th in pass defense 255 yards a game
    19th in rush defense 121 yards a game
    27th in Yards allowed
    25th in scoring defense 25 ppg

Giants have plenty of talent I just dont think they will ever play consistent enough to be ranked that high even if healthy. I could see Top 10.

On a side note the Giants defense was decimated by injuries last year. according to Football Outsiders Injury Metric the Giants had the 3rd most injuries of any defense in the last decade. 1 of the teams worse were the 0-16 Lions cant remember the other team but they went 6-10

All-Pro

One guy I really think will open eyes this season in the secondary is Justin Tryon. I really like what I saw from him last year. He progressed very quickly in Fewells system after we picked him up. And then right when he was starting to feel comfortable, he snapped his forarm in half (and still made a hell of a tackle on STs that saved a TD). He is a very tough minded DB who can play. Cant wait to see what he does with the experience from last year and a training camp under his belt. I could see him fighting to play the inside CB spot with TT. Cweb and Prince (another CB who will greatly benefit from an offseason schedule)on the outsides.

Hosely is sounding like a a very aggresive player as well. He has been mentioned several times already with jumping routes. Just needs to catch the ball.

DL we all have a pretty solid idea on where we are here. Bernard and Rodgers fight for a roster spot, or both make it if Austin flops, which I doubt. Joseph and Canty are the starters.

LB with another year together should be solid. We still dont have the STUD LB but we didnt need one last year. Boley is an above average LB, Kiwi is becoming a very solid LB, especially at digging out the run, and Williams or Herz or who ever will now finially get the off season they need to boost their confidence.

Im a little worried at safety though. Phillips and Rolle are a great tandum, but is Sash our #3? Is he going to be ready? One injury here, and we could see it hurt us big time.

As last years statistics show we have a LONG way to go. Lets wait until they play a few games and we see where they are.

All-Pro

When looking at those ranking you have to remember the injuries. As you said, they where decimated wit injuries. With a healthy Tuck and Osi putting pressure on the QB and a healthy TT back there defending they are probably a lot better.

The defense that finished last year with a healthier secondary and DL should be much better and that is a good thing.

All-Pro

Also, while being decimated by injuries they had to play the top 4 offenses in the league and the #4 rated offense twice.

A healthy Osi and Justin Tuck are scary enough for most Offenses. But if JPP Brings His entire game to potential. He's gonna be like Frankenstein on Steroids.

[quote user="BlueBlitzer"]A healthy Osi and Justin Tuck are scary enough for most Offenses. But if JPP Brings His entire game to potential. He's gonna be like Frankenstein on Steroids.[/quote]

Still have not gotten LT - Harry Carson - Carl Banks, that is what made the Big Blue Wrecking Crew, need to get some solid LB's before they are the BBWC!

Forget the Past, Live for the Future!