+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Lucky for the time

We are quite lucky that Eli Manning and NY Giants took the time off the clock that they did on the last scoring drive of SuperBowl XLVI.

If Tom Brady and NE Patriots had another 30-40 seconds it is highly likely that they would have scored a TD. Heck, we should be happy the Hail Mary did not make it. I fit did I am sure it would have been forever remembered as a Hail Myra.

There was a reason why there was consideration on not scoring the TD and letting clock run out to attempt field goal. Our defense is not to be trusted to hold onto the lead even with under a minute left and the oppossing offense buried at their 12. We are lucky that Eli Manning was able to take time off the clock.

Re: Lucky for the time

[quote user="buffyblue"]We are quite lucky that Eli Manning and NY Giants took the time off the clock that they did on the last scoring drive of SuperBowl XLVI. If Tom Brady and NE Patriots had another 30-40 seconds it is highly likely that they would have scored a TD. Heck, we should be happy the Hail Mary did not make it. I fit did I am sure it would have been forever remembered as a Hail Myra. There was a reason why there was consideration on not scoring the TD and letting clock run out to attempt field goal. Our defense is not to be trusted to hold onto the lead even with under a minute left and the oppossing offense buried at their 12. We are lucky that Eli Manning was able to take time off the clock.[/quote]

Stop denegrating my team. If you hate the Giants so much why do you root for them?

Get well soon 80.

We are lucky to be Giants fans, my brother is a diehard raiders fan thats takes a lot to stick with a team like that.
    The Gigalo with the most below

Banned

[quote user="buffyblue"]
    Our defense is not to be trusted to hold onto the lead even with under a minute left and the oppossing offense buried at their 12. We are lucky that Eli Manning was able to take time off the clock.[/quote]

Boy it sure is a good thing they proved you wrong but shutting down the Pats for only 14 points in the SB huh? Pats had 59 minutes to crush our "distrusted" defense...so i guess now it should be Brady that shouldnt be trusted to win the big games anymore. 0-2 in in his last 2 SBs when HE had the ball last.

If I didnt know any better...id might have to start considering him a choker.

[quote user="buffyblue"]We are quite lucky that Eli Manning and NY Giants took the time off the clock that they did on the last scoring drive of SuperBowl XLVI.

If Tom Brady and NE Patriots had another 30-40 seconds it is highly likely that they would have scored a TD. Heck, we should be happy the Hail Mary did not make it. I fit did I am sure it would have been forever remembered as a Hail Myra.

There was a reason why there was consideration on not scoring the TD and letting clock run out to attempt field goal. Our defense is not to be trusted to hold onto the lead even with under a minute left and the oppossing offense buried at their 12. We are lucky that Eli Manning was able to take time off the clock.[/quote]

The last 4 minutes or so of that game is a fascinating study in clock management. Some people have made the arguement that Belichick should have let just let the Giants score once they got the ball into the 35 yard line. So that they would have more time to work with. You could tell Belichick was wrestling with that idea.

[quote user="thomsoad"][quote user="buffyblue"]
    Our defense is not to be trusted to hold onto the lead even with under a minute left and the oppossing offense buried at their 12. We are lucky that Eli Manning was able to take time off the clock.[/quote]

Boy it sure is a good thing they proved you wrong but shutting down the Pats for only 14 points in the SB huh? Pats had 59 minutes to crush our "distrusted" defense...so i guess now it should be Brady that shouldnt be trusted to win the big games anymore. 0-2 in in his last 2 SBs when HE had the ball last.

If I didnt know any better...id might have to start considering him a choker.[/quote]

Actually Tom Brady almost pulled it out. The guy is anything but a choker.

I put this post up in response to just so many folks that harp and harp that it is the defense and “Eli got lucky and defense won SuperBowl XLII” and all the other naysayers that just refuse to really look at the facts. Yes our defense did step up at the end of the year, throughout the playoffs and SuperBowl XLVI. However, it was Eli Manning that carried this team through the tough times. It was Eli Manning that held it together this past season throughout all the defensive collapses and defensive quitting. It was Eli Manning that was the main reason we won SuperBowl XLVI.

For so long so many NY Giants fans have been putting Eli Manning down and it is just so annoying. The guy has led this team and done right by us since he has taken over. We can’t even give him props on the board without a bunch of clowns jumping in to put him down or try to belittle his accomplishments. Enough is enough.

The facts are that in SuperBowl XLVI our defense was about to revert to earlier season form and Eli Manning took the game back from Tom Brady, ate up clock time and took us down for two consecutive scoring drives. Give the man his due.

I am not going to compare them as QBs but folks like to put down Jeff Hostettler too. Why? I have no idea. The guy was a backup that came in and did his job an led us to victory in SuperBowl XXV. I love Phil Simms and folks here just seem to remember him in this brilliant light that he did no wrong. Much has been stated about Jeremy Shokey sitting in aluxury box during SuperBowl XLII when he was injured and couldn’t play. Folks were mad at that. I had no issue with it. However those same folks that put down Shokey have no qualms with Phil Simms for leaving during halftime of SuperBowl XXV. I have alwasy found that weird.

I am going off on tnagents here but I guess the point I am making is that folks seem to remember things with rose colored glasses and just love to put down Eli Manning on these boards and start getting all hot and bothered when you don’t agree with them on something or you call it like it is in regard to the defense. Sure NY Giants came together as a team and you need to be a team to win the SuperBowl.However, this was neither defensive domination nor was it a defensive statement that won SuperBowl XLVI. Eli Manning led this team to vicrory in SuperBowl XLVI and he knew to eat up as much clock as possible because this defense is not good to stop Tom Brady and NE Patriots on a late scoring drive with a decent amount of time left. Heck, NE England Patriots were buried on their own 12 yard line and they got got some yards and then almost came down with the Hail Mary.

Eli Manning has been roasted on these boards for long enough. He is not the best QB in NFL but damn he is the best one in the history of NY Giants and he is the main reason we won SuperBowl XLVI. Eli Manning is the one irreplaceable player on our team. It is about time the man got his due.
    What he did this season was he carried NY Giants on his back. Plain and simple.

[quote user="Cool Papa B."][quote user="buffyblue"]We are quite lucky that Eli Manning and NY Giants took the time off the clock that they did on the last scoring drive of SuperBowl XLVI.

There was a reason why there was consideration on not scoring the TD and letting clock run out to attempt field goal. Our defense is not to be trusted to hold onto the lead even with under a minute left and the oppossing offense buried at their 12. We are lucky that Eli Manning was able to take time off the clock.[/quote]

The last 4 minutes or so of that game is a fascinating study in clock management. Some people have made the arguement that Belichick should have let just let the Giants score once they got the ball into the 35 yard line. So that they would have more time to work with. You could tell Belichick was wrestling with that idea.[/quote]

My brother said almost the same thing. As soon as we were in safe lawrence Tynes field goal range he turned to me and said, “Mikey, I bet Coach Bellichek is thinking about letting us just score right now so Tom Brady has plenty of time with the ball.”

Yeah. I was glad that Tom Brady didn’t get the ball back with more time than he did.

[quote user="buffyblue"][quote user="thomsoad"][quote user="buffyblue"] Our defense is not to be trusted to hold onto the lead even with under a minute left and the oppossing offense buried at their 12. We are lucky that Eli Manning was able to take time off the clock.[/quote] Boy it sure is a good thing they proved you wrong but shutting down the Pats for only 14 points in the SB huh? Pats had 59 minutes to crush our "distrusted" defense...so i guess now it should be Brady that shouldnt be trusted to win the big games anymore. 0-2 in in his last 2 SBs when HE had the ball last. If I didnt know any better...id might have to start considering him a choker.[/quote] Actually Tom Brady almost pulled it out. The guy is anything but a choker. I put this post up in response to just so many folks that harp and harp that it is the defense and “Eli got lucky and defense won SuperBowl XLII” and all the other naysayers that just refuse to really look at the facts. Yes our defense did step up at the end of the year, throughout the playoffs and SuperBowl XLVI. However, it was Eli Manning that carried this team through the tough times. It was Eli Manning that held it together this past season throughout all the defensive collapses and defensive quitting. It was Eli Manning that was the main reason we won SuperBowl XLVI. For so long so many NY Giants fans have been putting Eli Manning down and it is just so annoying. The guy has led this team and done right by us since he has taken over. We can’t even give him props on the board without a bunch of clowns jumping in to put him down or try to belittle his accomplishments. Enough is enough. The facts are that in SuperBowl XLVI our defense was about to revert to earlier season form and Eli Manning took the game back from Tom Brady, ate up clock time and took us down for two consecutive scoring drives. Give the man his due. I am not going to compare them as QBs but folks like to put down Jeff Hostettler too. Why? I have no idea. The guy was a backup that came in and did his job an led us to victory in SuperBowl XXV. I love Phil Simms and folks here just seem to remember him in this brilliant light that he did no wrong. Much has been stated about Jeremy Shokey sitting in aluxury box during SuperBowl XLVI when he was injured and couldn’t play. Folks were mad at that. I had no issue with it. However those same folks that put down Shokey have no qualms with Phil Simms for leaving during halftime of SuperBowl XXV. I have alwasy found that weird. I am going off on tnagents here but I guess the point I am making is that folks seem to remember things with rose colored glasses and just love to put down Eli Manning on these boards and start getting all hot and bothered when you don’t agree with them on something or you call it like it is in regard to the defense. Sure NY Giants came together as a team and you need to be a team to win the SuperBowl.However, this was neither defensive domination nor was it a defensive statement that won SuperBowl XLVI. Eli Manning led this team to vicrory in SuperBowl XLVI and he knew to eat up as much clock as possible because this defense is not good to stop Tom Brady and NE Patriots on a late scoring drive with a decent amount of time left. Heck, NE England Patriots were buried on their own 12 yard line and they got got some yards and then almost came down with the Hail Mary. Eli Manning has been roasted on these boards for long enough. He is not the best QB in NFL but damn he is the best one in the history of NY Giants and he is the main reason we won SuperBowl XLVI. Eli Manning is the one irreplaceable player on our team. It is about time the man got his due. What he did this season was he carried NY Giants on his back. Plain and simple.[/quote]

Eli gets his due just fine. You are just obsessed with this whole argument. He did not "carry this team on his back". Thats the genesis of this argument. You have been fighting a losing battle since.

The Giants are a team. The Giants team came together (offense, defense, and ST's) week 16 and went on an historic tear. 6 wins in a row. In the playoffs we beat teams with a combined record of 51-13. The defense shut out the Falcons, held the Packers to 6 points (refs gave them the other 14) and held both the Niners and Pats to 17 points each.

No one player is responsible for that. As I said, you denegrate every other player on our team, our coaching staff and FO when you claim otherwise.

Get well soon 80.

[quote user="thomsoad"][quote user="buffyblue"]

If I didnt know any better...id might have to start considering him a choker.[/quote]

Wes Welker helped our defense out quite a bit when he dropped the pass that would have more or less sealed the win.

Our defense was in a lot of trouble in that game. Sure they made some nice stops but they were back on their heels. the blown coverage on Wes Welker was telling of how confused they were at that point.

I also love it how whenever someone doesn’t agree with a score that it is the referress fault the defense gave up the score.

blah......blah.....blah.....blah........

Without Eli Manning as QB, NY Giants don’t even sniff the playoffs. It is obvious that he can get the job done with a very good defense like he did in 2007 and a very flawed defense like he did in 2011. He is just aware enough to know how to adjust his game for either one.