+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GIANTS' CHASE BLACKBURN ON DAVID WILSON: "HE REMINDS ME OF LADAINIAN TOMLINSON"

GIANTS' CHASE BLACKBURN ON DAVID WILSON: "HE REMINDS ME OF LADAINIAN TOMLINSON"

"Since being drafted in the first-round of the 2012 NFL Draft by the
    New York
    Giants
    , rookie running back David
    Wilson
    has received nothing but tremendous praise by scouts, pundits,
    coaches and teammates. A week ago, offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said he
    may be the most explosive player he's ever
    coached
    . Over the weekend, that sort of next level esteem continued to be
    heaped upon the rookie as linebacker Chase
    Blackburn
    said Wilson reminded him a lot of future NFL Hall of Famer LaDainian
    Tomlinson

“He reminds me of [Tomlinson] when I first came into the league a little bit,
    just the speed and like the vision and stuff,” Blackburn said.

The significance of that compliment wasn't lost on Wilson, who doesn't seem
    to mind the pressure that's being put on him.

“Hope I have the same career — or better,” Wilson said. "I’m competitive, so
    I’m gonna get after it. You always gotta try to be the best, that’s how I figure
    it.”

Considering Wilson hasn't taken so much as a single training camp snap,
    expectations should probably be tempered. After all, everyone remembers the last
    time the Giants drafted a running back in the first round who had similarly high
    expectations. To say that didn't work out would be a bit of an
    understatement.

Still, Wilson has all the tools, athletic ability and instincts to be a
    tremendous football
    player in the NFL. If he can
    stay healthy, familiarize himself with the system and not float away as a result
    of all of these comparisons and compliments, he stands a good chance of making
    an immediate impact … which is something he fully expects of himself.

“I’m going in expecting to make an immediate impact,” Wilson
    says.

If nothing else, this sure gives fans something to look forward to come
    training camp."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All-Pro

Re: GIANTS' CHASE BLACKBURN ON DAVID WILSON: "HE REMINDS ME OF LADAINIAN TOMLINSON"

I liked the pick by Reese, and its nice to keep reading all these great things about him but I don wan to get to excited. It's only mini camp and there have been many who have not turned out. Not saying he won't, just don't want to get caught up in all the hype. Honestly though, I think I am buying it. I can't wait for pre season to start.

Re: GIANTS' CHASE BLACKBURN ON DAVID WILSON: "HE REMINDS ME OF LADAINIAN TOMLINSON"

[quote user="buddy33"]I liked the pick by Reese, and its nice to keep reading all these great things about him but I don wan to get to excited. It's only mini camp and there have been many who have not turned out. Not saying he won't, just don't want to get caught up in all the hype. Honestly though, I think I am buying it. I can't wait for pre season to start.[/quote]

I can tell you that in Hookie Land (Virginia Tech) this guy has saint status. I already have a friend asking me to get her a GIANTS Wilson jersey. He has quite a following here.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All-Pro

Just hope he OL is better so all the RB's can be better this year.

[quote user="buddy33"]Just hope he OL is better so all the RB's can be better this year.[/quote]

I think the key this year may well be Hynoski who has a pretty good rookie year behind him. The OLine, if they can stay healthy, should be a better unit at the start of the season and get better as they play as a unit. When you play as poorly as the OLine did last year, it "almost" has to get better.

I think the real question for Wilson, as it is for all rookies, is how quickly the get through the college to NFL learning curve.

Sounds like if he can learn the offense his skills set alone will be be enough

That would be nice. Kid looks promising so far according to teammates

All-Pro

I dont think there is any question the kid can run the ball and is explosive. The question remains if he can learn to pick up blitzes and is physical enough to stop a Demarcus Ware or Brian Orakpo from hitting Eli,and learn to hold on to the rock.

All-Pro

All I want is a back that can pick up 1 or 2 yards when we need it. Eli and company will take care of the rest.

That was exactly who I said he reminded me of after we drafted him. I thought I would get blasted for such a bold claim. Glad Chase agrees.