+ Reply to Thread

GIANTS' SUMMER QUESTIONNAIRE: COACH TOM COUGHLIN

GIANTS' SUMMER QUESTIONNAIRE: COACH TOM COUGHLIN

"We've entered the only five- to six-week period of the year when all is
    pretty much quiet on the NFL front. That means this page isn't nearly as active
    as usual, especially since we're catching our breath for the first time just
    like the players and coaches.

But a few years ago, we came up with a way to keep the blog active and
    keep the conversation going for you folks as well. The solution was the Giants
    summer questionnaire
    , which we're reviving this year after skipping in 2011
    because of the lockout.

Over the next month-plus, stay with us for short Q&As with players
    from all ranks of the depth chart, from Eli Manning down to those merely hoping
    to grab that 53rd roster spot or perhaps a job on the practice squad.

But before we get to the players, we begin with the Grand Poobah, coach
    Tom Coughlin, who vows he'll finally relax a little bit over the coming weeks
    but will be as eager to return this year as always. In other words, continue to
    save your retirement questions:

Given the way youíre wired, can you allow yourself to relax at all
    during this quiet period after going full bore the rest of the
    year?

Yeah, I mean, I can. Iím looking forward to some down time. We have a family
    vacation coming up. Iím looking forward to that, to spending some time with my
    family, my loved ones. Itís been, youíd have to admit, from mid-February on,
    kind of busy. So Iím looking forward to that.

Do you ever think, ĎBoy, that was nice to relax like that. I wish it
    could be like that all the time?' Or are you still always eager to get back to
    work?

(Laughs) I might for a couple of weeks. And then, I start wondering. ... Itís
    funny because I tell this story. This is when the kids were real young. Iíd be
    around in the summer and they would know itís time to start camp and theyíd all
    be lined up like, ĎGee, itís too bad youíve got to go, Dad. Hereís your hat. Can
    you get to camp so we can get back to having fun?í

Last time you won a Super Bowl, there was no Ďhangoverí and you
    opened the following season playing very well. What did you take from that to
    implement this time around as well?

Well, itís the same kind of thing we talked to the players about. We had
    listened to that complacency stuff all winter. I thought we applied ourselves
    very well to coming back to camp and getting focused again, and we started out
    very well. Iím hoping we can do the same thing. We really havenít focused in on
    any of that kind of stuff this year because I donít think this team is like
    that. But the idea would be we have started strong a lot of years (and) we have
    a little bump in the road along the way. But certainly we would like to start
    strong, stay strong and eliminate that part of it."

ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

Re: GIANTS' SUMMER QUESTIONNAIRE: COACH TOM COUGHLIN

thanks RF!

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]GIANTS' SUMMER QUESTIONNAIRE:* COACH TOM COUGHLIN

"We've entered the only five- to six-week period of the year when all is
    pretty much quiet on the NFL front. That means this page isn't nearly as active
    as usual, especially since we're catching our breath for the first time just
    like the players and coaches.

But a few years ago, we came up with a way to keep the blog active and
    keep the conversation going for you folks as well. The solution was the Giants
    summer questionnaire
    , which we're reviving this year after skipping in 2011
    because of the lockout.

Over the next month-plus, stay with us for short Q&As with players
    from all ranks of the depth chart, from Eli Manning down to those merely hoping
    to grab that 53rd roster spot or perhaps a job on the practice squad.

But before we get to the players, we begin with the Grand Poobah, coach
    Tom Coughlin, who vows he'll finally relax a little bit over the coming weeks
    but will be as eager to return this year as always. In other words, continue to
    save your retirement questions:

Given the way youíre wired, can you allow yourself to relax at all
    during this quiet period after going full bore the rest of the
    year?

Yeah, I mean, I can. Iím looking forward to some down time. We have a family
    vacation coming up. Iím looking forward to that, to spending some time with my
    family, my loved ones. Itís been, youíd have to admit, from mid-February on,
    kind of busy. So Iím looking forward to that.

Do you ever think, ĎBoy, that was nice to relax like that. I wish it
    could be like that all the time?' Or are you still always eager to get back to
    work?

(Laughs) I might for a couple of weeks. And then, I start wondering. ... Itís
    funny because I tell this story. This is when the kids were real young. Iíd be
    around in the summer and they would know itís time to start camp and theyíd all
    be lined up like, ĎGee, itís too bad youíve got to go, Dad. Hereís your hat. Can
    you get to camp so we can get back to having fun?í

Last time you won a Super Bowl, there was no Ďhangoverí and you
    opened the following season playing very well. What did you take from that to
    implement this time around as well?

Well, itís the same kind of thing we talked to the players about. We had
    listened to that complacency stuff all winter. I thought we applied ourselves
    very well to coming back to camp and getting focused again, and we started out
    very well. Iím hoping we can do the same thing. We really havenít focused in on
    any of that kind of stuff this year because I donít think this team is like
    that. But the idea would be we have started strong a lot of years (and) we have
    a little bump in the road along the way. But certainly we would like to start
    strong, stay strong and eliminate that part of it."

[/quote]I hope so to.,tired of seeing those 7-1 and 6-2 first half of season and then the total collapse in the latter part of schedule. This year we will be doing good to start out at 6-2 considering we don't have a gimme first 8 games like in other seasons to get fat off of
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

We have 4 division games which are always tough (two vs Dallas, Philly & Skins) we need to come out of that 3-1 if we want to compete for the East. We also have revenge minded SF with MM and BJ. Tampa and Carolina and browns should all be wins but u never know. Cam and Freeman could go off on us

4-New York Giants!!!!!

Again though the tougher part of the schedule is as always the back half, with games against the Steelers, Ravens, Packers, Saints, Eagles, Falcons.... No gimmes there at all. Could all be losses very easy. Then we also have another game with RG3 and the Skins as well as a date with the up and coming Bengals

4-New York Giants!!!!!

[quote user="miked1958"]Again though the tougher part of the schedule is as always the back half, with games against the Steelers, Ravens, Packers, Saints, Eagles, Falcons.... No gimmes there at all. Could all be losses very easy. Then we also have another game with RG3 and the Skins as well as a date with the up and coming Bengals[/quote]
    Well then, we will be "battle-tested" prior to the playoffs. ...and loaded for bear.