+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Giant defense overrated? Ranks below average over last decade

The incentive to come back and play with passion following a long and successful season is always a challenge.

For the Giant defense, which had some horrendous games last year and ended up 27th in yards allowed in the 2011 regular season, there's much to be accomplished. As a matter of fact, looking at the last decade, the vaunted defense of the past hasn't been seen much in recent years.

Here's the stats over the last ten regular seasons:

Year......Yards Allowed..............Rank..........Points PG.......Rank
    2011..............376.4....................27th... ...........25.0..............25th
    2010..............310.8......................7th.. ............21.7..............17th
    2009..............324.9....................13th... ...........26.7..............30th
    2008..............292.0......................5th.. ............18.4................5th
    2007..............305.0......................7th.. ............21.9..............17th
    2006..............342.4....................25th... ...........22.6..............24th
    2005..............327.5....................24th... ...........19.6..............14th
    2004..............324.2....................13th... ...........21.7..............17th
    2003..............332.5....................22nd... ..........24.2..............29th
    2002..............309.3......................9th.. ............17.4...............3rd

Avg placement..........................16.2........... ........................18.1

And if you average the ranking in yards allowed over the last decade, in terms of average placement vs. other teams, the Giants ranked 16.2, just slightly below 16th place, which would be the middle of the pack. In terms of points per game, they rank even worse at 18.1st place.

Very mediocre. And the question is: Why should this year be any better, especially coming off a horrid 2011 season? Sad to put it this way, can the team rise to 16th place?

Re: Giant defense overrated? Ranks below average over last decade

If they are healthier than last year, they will rank higher.

It probably won't be...but they have had some horrific coaches within than span....Johnny Lynn, Tim Lewis and Bill Sheridan. Throughout the playoffs you saw what kind of defenese they can be...but they just don't do it on a consistent basis. I'll give last year a pass due to all the injuries...I'm curious to see how they do this year. They really have a ton of talent.

Well, we can at least say we have the most SB wins since 2007.

All-Pro

[quote user="gmen0820"]Well, we can at least say we have the most SB wins since 2007.[/quote]

8-1 in the playoffs, most of any team since 2007...

[quote user="hadenough"]It probably won't be...but they have had some horrific coaches within than span....Johnny Lynn, Tim Lewis and Bill Sheridan.* Throughout the playoffs you saw what kind of defenese they can be...but they just don't do it on a consistent basis.* I'll give last year a pass due to all the injuries...I'm curious to see how they do this year.* They really have a ton of talent.[/quote]

Perfectly said. Injuries devastated us last year and outside of Spags our DCs were awful.

BLOOOOOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Veteran

[quote user="GreenZone"]The incentive to come back and play with passion following a long and successful season is always a challenge.

For the Giant defense, which had some horrendous games last year and ended up 27th in yards allowed in the 2011 regular season, there's much to be accomplished. As a matter of fact, looking at the last decade, the vaunted defense of the past hasn't been seen much in recent years.

Here's the stats over the last ten regular seasons:

Year......Yards Allowed..............Rank..........Points PG.......Rank
    2011..............376.4....................27th... ...........25.0..............25th
    2010..............310.8......................7th.. ............21.7..............17th
    2009..............324.9....................13th... ...........26.7..............30th
    2008..............292.0......................5th.. ............18.4................5th
    2007..............305.0......................7th.. ............21.9..............17th
    2006..............342.4....................25th... ...........22.6..............24th
    2005..............327.5....................24th... ...........19.6..............14th
    2004..............324.2....................13th... ...........21.7..............17th
    2003..............332.5....................22nd... ..........24.2..............29th
    2002..............309.3......................9th.. ............17.4...............3rd

Avg placement..........................16.2........... ........................18.1

And if you average the ranking in yards allowed over the last decade, in terms of average placement vs. other teams, the Giants ranked 16.2, just slightly below 16th place, which would be the middle of the pack. In terms of points per game, they rank even worse at 18.1st place.

Very mediocre. And the question is: Why should this year be any better, especially coming off a horrid 2011 season? Sad to put it this way, can the team rise to 16th place?

[/quote]

If they are ranked below average, then how can they be overrated?

All-Pro

it's good info .. thanks for putting it together

some bad years in there ... thanks a lot Bill Sheridan !!!

i guess for me it's about our ability to get to the QB when we are healthy and clicking, since that is really the only consistent way to defend the pass in today's NFL

the thing with Defensive stats is... take a team like KC or Miami... they've been offensively challenged for awhile and haven't scored many points ... i bet they both look pretty solid statistically on D, but a big part of that is that their opponents have not had to really open things up to beat them

you have to look at PPG, since it's arguably most important, however, there is some correlation between how many points you score and how many you give up .. if you are scoring on avg. in the high 20s, then even with a good D you will still give up in the low 20s on average as teams try to make comebacks on you

i put little to no weight on yards per game ... it can be very misleading

finally, sacks and takeaways are hugely important ... they are drive ending / game changing plays ... i know we will rank highly in sacks and im hoping we rank highly in takeaways ... i will evaluate our D on Ws vs. Ls, sacks and takeways ... most of all ... with PPG, i will look at it relative to PPG we score

Veteran

Those are two of the worst categories to rank a defense by. Advanced metric stats are generally superior.

PPG is the best ranking imo. And yes we have been mediocre in terms of this. Who is surprised by this? Poor DCs, injuries, lack of depth at certain positions(safety in 2009) and generally just underperforming. They turned it on in the two playoff runs and we allowed a ridiculously low number of points. In our two playoff runs we allowed 119 points an average of 14.9 points a game and this all while playing the 2007 Patriots and 2011 Packers two top 5 offenses of all time. On offense we scored 185 points for an average of 23.1 points per game. Hopefully the team avoids injuries, poor coaching (I think Fewell has understood how to make the defense work) and lack of heart and performs the entire year at the level we know it is capable of performing at.