+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

WITH THE DEPARTURE OF MARIO MANNINGHAM, WR RAMSES BARDEN READY TO "BE THE MAN" THIS SEASON FOR THE GIANTS

WITH THE DEPARTURE OF MARIO MANNINGHAM, WR RAMSES BARDEN READY TO "BE THE MAN" THIS SEASON FOR THE GIANTS

"
    He doesn’t talk of improving his hands, or honing his ability to separate
    from defenders. He doesn’t discuss getting stronger, or mention getting
    faster.

No, ask Ramses Barden what
    his goal is this season, and the Giants receiver delivers a simple answer: “I’m
    here to be the man.”

“Plain and simple,” he adds. “There’s no explanation
    needed.”

It’s a goal that the Giants would love to see Barden achieve.
    The team had high aspirations when Barden was drafted in the third round in
    2009, but so far the king-sized wideout has only disappointed, with just 15
    career catches.

Yet when training camp opens in Albany next month, Barden
    will have perhaps his best and maybe his last chance to turn around his stalled
    career. Mario Manningham’s decision to sign with the 49ers has left the Giants
    searching for a new No. 3 receiver.

The 6-6 Barden will battle veteran
    Domenik Hixon, second-year man Jerrel Jernigan and hyped second-round pick
    Rueben Randle for the role behind Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks. It will be a
    lengthy audition, too, especially if Nicks, as expected, rests his broken foot
    for most of training camp.

Barden is the long shot in this competition,
    so much so that he wasn’t even mentioned by Kevin Gilbride when
    the offensive coordinator was asked to assess the receiver landscape after last
    week’s three-day minicamp. Gilbride said Jernigan showed “flashes,” Randle
    displayed “down-the-field speed,” and even said undrafted free agent Brandon
    Collins looked “really, really impressive.”

What did Gilbride say about
    Barden? Not a word. And Barden was hardly surprised. He’s perhaps the most
    unique wideout on the roster, with otherworldly size (6-6, 244) and solid
    athleticism, and he routinely d***les in practice, but he has struggled to
    deliver in game situations.

His performance in the Giants’ Christmas Eve
    win over the Jets was emblematic of that. With the Giants pinned on their own
    1-yard line in the third quarter, Eli Manning twice looked to the big wideout
    who so often posts up cornerbacks in practice. But Barden couldn’t make a
    critical catch; it was Victor Cruz who saved the team with a 99-yard third down
    catch-and-run.

“I practice well,” Barden says. “The next step for me is
    to carry that over with confidence to the game. Everybody knows what I can do.
    It’s (about) being able to do that in September.”

Barden hopes that the
    first injury-free offseason of his career will help prepare him to do that.
    While he says that “there’s nothing like game reps,” he does believe that he
    will be more comfortable in Gilbride’s offense after participating in all the
    Giants’ Organized Team Activities and making several impressive catches in
    minicamp.

And as soon as minicamp wrapped up, he headed to California to
    do more training, working out with teammate Keith Rivers and a handful of other
    pros. “It’s great to have a completely healthy offseason to build on,” Barden
    says. “It’s great to have a brand new opportunity, a clean slate, essentially,
    to make my mark.”

It will be a heated “competition,” Barden admits. But a
    more grizzled Barden will be ready.

“I’m not going to walk around looking
    over my shoulder,” he says. “It’s fun, and I can’t wait to see how this season
    unfolds.”

Here's a closer look at the training camp
    contenders for WR:

BARDEN, 4th year, 6-6, 226
    pounds

SKINNY: Had a "good camp," according to
    Eli Manning, but there's still work to do, says WR coach Kevin Gilbride Jr.: "He
    still has areas that he needs to improve on such as creating separation from
    defenders and things like that. He's working hard at
    that."

BRANDON COLLINS, rookie, 5-11, 176
    pounds

SKINNY: Signed out of rookie minicamp
    and continued to emerge in last week's veteran minicamp. Says offensive
    coordinator Kevin Gilbride: "Good speed, great quickness, but also picking up
    the offense pretty quick."

DOMENIK HIXON, seventh year, 6-2, 197
    pounds

SKINNY: Receiving corps' elder statesman
    hasn't been tentative after tearing ACL for second straight year last season,
    but possesses little upside. "Very very steady, very consistent," says coach Tom
    Coughlin. "He is a tough guy. And, again, he is a great
    example."

JERRELL JERNIGAN, second year, 5-8, 189
    pounds

SKINNY: Seemed comfortable in veteran
    minicamp after struggling last season. "You see flashes with Jerrel Jernigan,"
    says Gilbride. "That guy, he can help us."

RUEBEN RANDLE, rookie,
    6-2, 210 pounds

SKINNY: Second-round pick was
    billed as NFL-ready coming out of LSU, but Gilbride cautions he's still figuring
    out pro game: "There is so much thinking going on. You can see it slows him
    down."

JULIAN TALLEY, rookie, 6-1, 192
    pounds

SKINNY: Undrafted free agent was held
    back because he missed some practice, and Gilbride says he will "reserve
    judgment." But can you really rule out a quick WR from Victor Cruz's alma mater
    UMass?"

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Port St. Lucie, FL (originally from Avenel, NJ)

Re: WITH THE DEPARTURE OF MARIO MANNINGHAM, WR RAMSES BARDEN READY TO "BE THE MAN" THIS SEASON FOR THE GIANTS

Gotta like his attitude, but time will tell. It's hard to imagine the Giants getting Randle in the second round and not giving him every opportunity to be "the man", as Barden hasn't proven anything thus far.

Re: WITH THE DEPARTURE OF MARIO MANNINGHAM, WR RAMSES BARDEN READY TO "BE THE MAN" THIS SEASON FOR THE GIANTS

Barden wants to be the man (good attitude by the way) but IMO he won't be

Barden has been given many chances to make a career, and has failed to convert. Time for new blood. I prefer unproven over disproven...

Fantasy headline quotes:
    -Insanity, with "Eye of the Tiger" playing in the background, accumulated the highest point total this week and beat Hakeem Nicks 137.95 - 100.75, overcoming an 18.22-point spread.
    -Legend of Seawright Throat-Punches Mediocrity.
    -20-page Eli Argument Knocks Out Insanity, Delivers an Early-Season Message

This could be his best (and last) shot at a meaningful spot in the rotation.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I thought we had a WR named DePalma too. What happened to this guy? Did I miss something?
    Do not feed the trolls.

I thought we had a WR named DePalma too. What happened to this guy? Did I miss something?
    Do not feed the trolls.

[quote user="Mercury"]I thought we had a WR named DePalma too. What happened to this guy? Did I miss something?
    [/quote]

He's still here

LOL..

Barden is working on getting separation in his 4thr year.

Its like a QB working on hitting the broad side of a barn in his 4th year.

FREE RAMSES!
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Good attitude to have, b ut it's put up or shut up time for Barden. He's on the bubble so he has to have a really good camp and season.