+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

POST DRAFT WINNERS/LOSERS: NY GIANTS

POST DRAFT WINNERS/LOSERS: NY GIANTS

"NEW YORK GIANTS

Fans of the other NFC East teams were once again subjected to watching the
    Giants celebrate a Super Bowl victory. Why do the Giants win? The New York
    Giants know how to draft. Jerry Reese is a man with a plan. Take for instance
    the decision to part ways with Brandon Jacobs and the selection of David Wilson.
    Out goes a high-priced headache and in comes a young rusher who, if all pans
    out as planned, will replace Ahmad Bradshaw and his troublesome feet in the
    not-to-distant future.

NY Giants2012 Draft
    Selections:

RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
    1 32 David Wilson RB Virginia Tech
    2 63 Rueben Randle WR LSU
    3 94 Jayron Hosley CB Virginia Tech
    4 127 Adrien Robinson TE Cincinnati
    4 131 Brandon Mosley T Auburn
    6 201 Matt McCants T Alabama-Birmingham
    7 239 Markus Kuhn DT North Carolina State

The selection of Reuben Randle looked like a luxury until Hakeem Nicks
    suffered a broken foot soon after the draft, now it looksrather genius. The
    Giants know how to work the draft. How many games, if any, Nicks will miss is
    yet to be known, but he’s unlikely to be up to full speed for the start of the
    season and Randle may see a lot of the field early on.

Adrien Robinson could be a steal where the G-Men snagged him at 127 overall.
    He was under utilized in the Cincinnati Bearcat’soffense but he has the
    athleticism, size (6’4?, 264 lbs.), and speed to perhaps capitalize on
    circumstances that place him on a championship team that has a TE opening due to
    injuries. Keep your eye on the TE competition and how the Giants look to be
    using the rookie in camp. You can see our predraft take on the status of the NY Giants TE
    situation
    in this article.

The Giants also invested two picks in offensive lineman that are
    developmental prospects that shouldn’t see a lot of playing time as rookies.

Here is how we see theNY Giants2012 Depth
    Chart entering training camp.

POS 1 2 3
    QB Eli Manning David Carr
    RB Ahmad Bradshaw David Wilson (R) D.J. Ware
    WR1 Hakeem Nicks Rueben Randle (R) Ramses Barden
    WR2 Victor Cruz Domenik Hixon Jerrel Jernigan
    TE Martellus Bennett Travis Beckum (INJ) Christian Hopkins

WINNERS: David
    Wilson
    (ADP 99 overall/ RB40)

Wilson walks into a very good situation. He has to prove he can understand
    the blocking schemes well enough not to get Eli Manning killed, but he works hard and we think he will get there
    quickly. This year he will get 115-150 touches even if Ahmad Bradshaw stays
    relatively healthy (a big if with two cranky feet).David Wilson could be the
    Giants feature back as early as next year. He packs a lot of punch into a squat
    frame (5’09, 206 lbs.) and he has the ability to break big runs.Wilson landed
    in a good spot where he can play early on and develop without the immediate
    pressure to be the offensive focal point. Read More on David Wilson in our Fantasy Relevant Rookie
    Article

LOSERS: JerrellJernigan&
    Backup RBs

The next reception for the second year player out of Troy State will be his
    first as a pro. Jerniganattracted attention as a fantasy football sleeper
    heading into last season and GiantsGM Jerry Reese has spoken highly of him as a
    guy he believes can win a role in the slot. Jerniganis 5’9', 185 lbs, however,
    and now he has to compete with Reuben Randle at 6’3?, 210 lbs for playing time –
    notgood news for the pint-sized 2nd year WR.

Okay, “Backup RBs” is a bit of a cop-out. We’re just not
    sure how it will shake out but we think there were some long faces among the
    group (Andre Brown, Da’RelScott, and D.J. Ware) when the Giants spent a first
    round pick on another running back. Of this group, Ware is the only one with
    NFL stats and they are less than impressive with just 81 carries for 324 yards,
    and 1 TD in three seasons. One of these backs probably will not be a Giant when
    the season begins and our gut feeling is that Da’Rel Scott will be
    elsewhere.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: POST DRAFT WINNERS/LOSERS: NY GIANTS

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]POST DRAFT WINNERS/LOSERS: NY GIANTS

"NEW YORK GIANTS

Fans of the other NFC East teams were once again subjected to watching the Giants celebrate a Super Bowl victory. Why do the Giants win? The New York Giants know how to draft. Jerry Reese is a man with a plan. Take for instance the decision to part ways with Brandon Jacobs and the selection of David Wilson. Out goes a high-priced headache and in comes a young rusher who, if all pans out as planned, will replace Ahmad Bradshaw and his troublesome feet in the not-to-distant future.

NY Giants2012 Draft Selections:

The selection of Reuben Randle looked like a luxury until Hakeem Nicks suffered a broken foot soon after the draft, now it looksrather genius. The Giants know how to work the draft. How many games, if any, Nicks will miss is yet to be known, but he’s unlikely to be up to full speed for the start of the season and Randle may see a lot of the field early on.

Adrien Robinson could be a steal where the G-Men snagged him at 127 overall. He was under utilized in the Cincinnati Bearcat’soffense but he has the athleticism, size (6’4?, 264 lbs.), and speed to perhaps capitalize on circumstances that place him on a championship team that has a TE opening due to injuries. Keep your eye on the TE competition and how the Giants look to be using the rookie in camp. You can see our predraft take on the status of the NY Giants TE situationin this article.

The Giants also invested two picks in offensive lineman that are developmental prospects that shouldn’t see a lot of playing time as rookies.

Here is how we see theNY Giants2012 Depth Chart entering training camp.

POS 1 2 3

WINNERS: David Wilson(ADP 99 overall/ RB40)

Wilson walks into a very good situation. He has to prove he can understand the blocking schemes well enough not to get Eli Manning killed, but he works hard and we think he will get there quickly. This year he will get 115-150 touches even if Ahmad Bradshaw stays relatively healthy (a big if with two cranky feet).David Wilson could be the Giants feature back as early as next year. He packs a lot of punch into a squat frame (5’09, 206 lbs.) and he has the ability to break big runs.Wilson landed in a good spot where he can play early on and develop without the immediate pressure to be the offensive focal point. Read More on David Wilson in our Fantasy Relevant Rookie Article.

LOSERS: JerrellJernigan& Backup RBs

The next reception for the second year player out of Troy State will be his first as a pro. Jerniganattracted attention as a fantasy football sleeper heading into last season and GiantsGM Jerry Reese has spoken highly of him as a guy he believes can win a role in the slot. Jerniganis 5’9', 185 lbs, however, and now he has to compete with Reuben Randle at 6’3?, 210 lbs for playing time – notgood news for the pint-sized 2nd year WR.

Okay, “Backup RBs” is a bit of a cop-out. We’re just not sure how it will shake out but we think there were some long faces among the group (Andre Brown, Da’RelScott, and D.J. Ware) when the Giants spent a first round pick on another running back. Of this group, Ware is the only one with NFL stats and they are less than impressive with just 81 carries for 324 yards, and 1 TD in three seasons. One of these backs probably will not be a Giant when the season begins and our gut feeling is that Da’Rel Scott will be elsewhere.

[/quote]

I'd agree with your positive assessment of our draft pix of both randle and robinson: good value for where they were picked. Randle strikes me a bit as a Toomer like WR. Boy, if he will turn out even close to AT's production. Robinson is kind of a wild card but showed promise of being a much more talented TE than showing in a run type O at Cincy.

Than we get to the discussion regarding our LATE round pix. Why do we always want more value from a sixth rounder than is possible. GRRRHHHHHHHHHH!!! If one of the T's draft shows up big we should be okay but if not than we wind up in the same spot as last year: a line who had issues blocking for our RB's. I would have preferred a 3rd round T pick however thats why I'm not a GM. I just see the lack of O line punch dangering not only our 1st round pix productionbut our teams run ability for the season, again!!! I think that whoever wins the backup lotto @ RB will be okay for us. I don't worry about them, I'm concerned about our line.Look at our roster, we have a **** load of CB's; would it have hurt to take a T in the 3rd?

Overall, I see a great year for the Champs! Isee our LB corps really putting punch to the D which wasn't there before: w/ the rivers pick up, the rest of the grown up LB's will spell: Wicked!!!Go Giants!!!

All-Pro

I continue to be baffled by us taking undersized WRs. We dont use them right, ever. And they never pan out with us. Eli likes the big tall physical WRs.

[quote user="TuckYou"]I continue to be baffled by us taking undersized WRs. We dont use them right, ever. And they never pan out with us. Eli likes the big tall physical WRs.[/quote]

We draft them for the slot, where smaller quick guys excel. We just happened to luckout with Cruz, who has the tools to be a slot guy but also has some additional size and can play the outside. I'm sure Reese picked up JJ in case Cruz didn't pan out, which was a good move for insurance.

[quote user="bearbryant"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]POST DRAFT WINNERS/LOSERS:* NY GIANTS

"NEW YORK GIANTS

Fans of the other NFC East teams were once again subjected to watching the Giants celebrate a Super Bowl victory. *Why do the Giants win? * The New York Giants know how to draft. *Jerry Reese is a man with a plan. *Take for instance the decision to part ways with Brandon Jacobs and the selection of David Wilson. *Out goes a high-priced headache and in comes a young rusher who, if all pans out as planned, will replace Ahmad Bradshaw and his troublesome feet in the not-to-distant future.

NY Giants*2012 Draft Selections:

The selection of Reuben Randle looked like a luxury until Hakeem Nicks suffered a broken foot soon after the draft, now it looks*rather genius. *The Giants know how to work the draft.* How many games, if any, Nicks will miss is yet to be known, but he’s unlikely to be up to full speed for the start of the season and Randle may see a lot of the field early on.

Adrien Robinson could be a steal where the G-Men snagged him at 127 overall. *He was under utilized in the Cincinnati Bearcat’s*offense but he has the athleticism, size (6’4?, 264 lbs.), and speed to perhaps capitalize on circumstances that place him on a championship team that has a TE opening due to injuries. *Keep your eye on the TE competition and how the Giants look to be using the rookie in camp. You can see our predraft take on the status of the NY Giants TE situation*in this article.

The Giants also invested two picks in offensive lineman that are developmental prospects that shouldn’t see a lot of playing time as rookies.

Here is how we see the*NY Giants*2012 Depth Chart entering training camp.

POS 1 2 3

WINNERS: David Wilson*(ADP 99 overall/ RB40)

Wilson walks into a very good situation. *He has to prove he can understand the blocking schemes well enough not to get Eli Manning killed, but he works hard and we think he will get there quickly. *This year he will get 115-150 touches even if Ahmad Bradshaw stays relatively healthy (a big if with two cranky feet).**David Wilson could be the Giants feature back as early as next year. *He packs a lot of punch into a squat frame (5’09, 206 lbs.) and he has the ability to break big runs.**Wilson landed in a good spot where he can play early on and develop without the immediate pressure to be the offensive focal point. Read More on David Wilson in our Fantasy Relevant Rookie Article.

LOSERS: Jerrell*Jernigan*& Backup RBs

The next reception for the second year player out of Troy State will be his first as a pro. *Jernigan*attracted attention as a fantasy football sleeper heading into last season and Giants*GM Jerry Reese has spoken highly of him as a guy he believes can win a role in the slot. *Jernigan*is 5’9', 185 lbs, however, and now he has to compete with Reuben Randle at 6’3?, 210 lbs for playing time – not*good news for the pint-sized 2nd year WR.

Okay, “Backup RBs” is a bit of a cop-out. *We’re just not sure how it will shake out but we think there were some long faces among the group (Andre Brown, Da’Rel*Scott, and D.J. Ware) when the Giants spent a first round pick on another running back. * Of this group, Ware is the only one with NFL stats and they are less than impressive with just 81 carries for 324 yards, and 1 TD in three seasons. *One of these backs probably will not be a Giant when the season begins and our gut feeling is that Da’Rel Scott will be elsewhere.

[/quote]*

I'd agree with your positive assessment of our draft pix of both randle and robinson: good value for where they were picked. Randle strikes me a bit as a Toomer like WR. Boy, if he will turn out even close to AT's production. Robinson is kind of a wild card but showed promise of being a much more talented TE than showing in a run type O at Cincy.

Than we get to the discussion regarding our LATE round pix. Why do we always want more value from a sixth rounder than is possible. GRRRHHHHHHHHHH!!! If one of the T's draft shows up big we should be okay but if not than we wind up in the same spot as last year: a line who had issues blocking for our RB's. I would have preferred a 3rd round T pick however thats why I'm not a GM. I just see the lack of O line punch dangering not only our 1st round pix production*but our teams run ability for the season, again!!! I think that whoever wins the backup lotto @ RB will be okay for us. I don't worry about them, I'm concerned about our line.*Look at our roster, we have a **** load of CB's; would it have hurt to take a T in the 3rd?

Overall, I see a great year for the Champs! I*see our LB corps really putting punch to the D which wasn't there before: w/ the rivers pick up, the rest of the grown up LB's will spell:* Wicked!!!*Go Giants!!!

[/quote]

I totally agree with the linemen drafting comment. We always go late round for a linemen. Now we need immediate help and don't have time to wait for a project pick because we have a team that can win now.

In the tough times we find out who we are...that's why I know VC will be back better than ever in 2015. #80 NYG4life!

Backup RBs like Brown and Ware are losers.

I still think Scott has a shot

[quote user="MikeIsaGiant"]Backup RBs like Brown and Ware are losers.

I still think Scott has a shot[/quote]

Why are they losers?

[quote user="Mod_C"][quote user="MikeIsaGiant"]Backup RBs like Brown and Ware are losers.

Why are they losers?
    [/quote]

I guess I meant "losers" as in not making the team. One might, but I honestly believe it;ll be

1) AB 2) Wilson 3) Scott or one of DJ Ware and Brown.

One of them would get cut IMO

If the rumors of Brown packing on muscle are true, and it doesnt' compromise his joints, he could be a poor man's brandon jacobs. So I think he has a chance to make the team just so we're not on 3 shifty/speedy RB's. Ware I believe is the odd man out, unless Scott, Wilson, and Brown all suck at QB protection...

[quote user="MikeIsaGiant"][quote user="Mod_C"][quote user="MikeIsaGiant"]Backup RBs like Brown and Ware are losers.

Why are they losers?
    [/quote]

I guess I meant "losers" as in not making the team. One might, but I honestly believe it;ll be

1) AB 2) Wilson 3) Scott or one of DJ Ware and Brown.

One of them would get cut IMO[/quote]

Given the talent involved, we should be fairly comfortable with whoever makes the final 53.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80