+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eli's Super Bowl Winning Drives...

Where does Eli's Super Bowl winning drives rank? Both in the pre and post Super Bowl era. ANd what was the great SB/NFL championship winning drive of all time?

Super Bowl 46 he got the ball back on his 12 yard line with 3:46 left needing a field goal to take the lead. He went 5-for-6 including one of the best passes/catches in SB history. They score a TD.

How would that rank with Montana's Super Bowl 23 winning drive. They were down by 3 with the ball on the 8 yard line with 3:10 to go. He goes 8 for 9 and throws the winning TD to Taylor.

What about Brady in Super Bowl 46. Though there was less pressure there. The game was tied and they didn't need to score then. But he did get the ball on the 17 yard line with just 1:21 left and NO timeouts. Got his team in field goal range for Vineteri.

Or what about Unitas in the 58' championship game. Or Eli again in Super Bowl 42?

Re: Eli's Super Bowl Winning Drives...

The XLII drive was the most important and the best executed in giants history. BJ converted a crucial 4th-and-1. The phenominal pass to Tyree that is pretty much immortalized in SB history. Eli showed there the stuff that elite QB's are made of. Although I still believe the defense had a lot more to do with that victory with their putting Brady under siege for the whole game and 5 sacks, Eli was no slouch by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

[quote user="Toadofsteel"]The XLII drive was the most important and the best executed in giants history. BJ converted a crucial 4th-and-1. The phenominal pass to Tyree that is pretty much immortalized in SB history. Eli showed there the stuff that elite QB's are made of. Although I still believe the defense had a lot more to do with that victory with their putting Brady under siege for the whole game and 5 sacks, Eli was no slouch by any means.[/quote]

SB 42 probably was the toughest and most pressure packed because of the amount of time left and the fact that they needed a TD to win. You can make the arguement that in the SB 42 game winning drive there was some luck also. Eli threw 2 passes that could have been interecepted.

But in the SB 46 drive the dude was surgical. He made it look easy and he made the Patriot defense-a defense who kept him out of the end zone in the 2nd half-look like a joke. That first pass to Manningham was a like him saying "I got this!"

They both have to be up there. Other candidates? Montana's drive against the Bengals, Big Ben's game winner after the Cardinals had taken the lead... But it's definitely elite company, and Eli may have been the only one to do it twice on that list.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="Toadofsteel"]The XLII drive was the most important and the best executed in giants history. BJ converted a crucial 4th-and-1. The phenominal pass to Tyree that is pretty much immortalized in SB history. Eli showed there the stuff that elite QB's are made of. Although I still believe the defense had a lot more to do with that victory with their putting Brady under siege for the whole game and 5 sacks, Eli was no slouch by any means.[/quote]Yeah the defense played a real big part but Eli's performance didn't help put the defense on the field more than they want to or real bad things could happen.

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]They both have to be up there.* Other candidates?* Montana's drive against the Bengals, Big Ben's game winner after the Cardinals had taken the lead...* But it's definitely elite company, and Eli may have been the only one to do it twice on that list.
    [/quote]

That's true. I forgot about Big Ben in SB 43. Maybe because I was cheering for Kurt Warner. Down by 3 he got the ball back on the 22 yard line with 2:30 left. He ends up going 5 for 7 throwing the winning TD to Holmes with an amazing catch. All against a very tough Cardinals D.

Banned

42 was by far the more excruciating to watch. One 4th down. Numerous 3rd downs (not 3rd & shorts either). I believe there was a 3rd & 10, 3rd & 5 (Tyree play), and 3rd & 11 (Smith catch to set up GW play).

46 was actually easy to watch, and provided little drama because it was so easy for us.

46 was more impressive, but 42 was downright incredible as a Giants fan.

[quote user="Manning"]42 was by far the more excruciating to watch. One 4th down. Numerous 3rd downs (not 3rd & shorts either). I believe there was a 3rd & 10, 3rd & 5 (Tyree play), and 3rd & 11 (Smith catch to set up GW play).

46 was actually easy to watch, and provided little drama because it was so easy for us.

46 was more impressive, but 42 was downright incredible as a Giants fan.[/quote]

I counted 2 3rd down conversions- the David Tyree catch on 3rd & 5, and the Steve Smith catch on 3rd & 10. And 1 4th &short conversion by Jacobs that had me sweating like crazy.

I think Toomer had a 3rd down catch, which set up the BJ 4th and short.

The Giants Superbowl XLII drive in my opinion, is the greatest drive in NFL history. Everything about that drive says legendary. It really should just go into the halls of football lore and simply be known as "The Drive".