+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CAN JASON PIERRE-PAUL BREAK THE SINGLE SEASON SACK RECORD?

I didn't see this the day posted so if it's old news, my apologies:

CAN JASON PIERRE-PAUL BREAK THE SINGLE SEASON SACK RECORD?

"Jason Pierre-Paul of the New York
    Giants
    is a physical freak. Heís 6í5Ē and 278 pounds. He ran a 4.71
    40-yd dash in the combine. In his second year in the league, at 22 years of age,
    had 16.5 sacks and was third in the team in tackles. The game that displayed how
    talented he may become was the game against the Dallas Cowboys in Dallas this
    past season. He had eight tackles, two sacks, a forced fumble and blocked what
    wouldíve been the game tying field goal to win the game.
    Could he possibly be the guy who breaks Michael StrahanĎs single season sack record?

Jared Allen of the Minnesota Vikings said today that he thinks he can get
    25 sacks in one season. Allen set a career high with 22 last year and fell just
    short of the record, so why not him? What about JPP though? Because of the depth
    along the Giant defensive line, you canít just key on JPP, because otherwise
    Osi Umenyiora or Justin Tuck will put your quarterback flat on his back.
    JPP is so young and hasnít even tapped into his full potential as to what he can
    do yet. 16.5 sacks is a lot, especially for someone in their second year in the
    league who hasnít really played a lot of football in
    his life. No itís not Allenís fault that the Vikings line isnít as good as the
    Giants. Can you imagine if he had someone like JPP or Tuck lining up on the
    opposite side of him?

Iím sure Jason Pierre-Paul would take
    about 10-15 more super bowl rings
    over the sack record. As the 2007 Giants said, it donít mean a thing if you
    ainít got that ring. But breaking records are always fun to talk about. With all
    due respect to Jared Allen, Iíll take my chances with Pierre-Paul breaking
    Strahanís record. It may not be this year, but at some point Pierre-Paul will
    come very close and may even do it."

ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

Re: CAN JASON PIERRE-PAUL BREAK THE SINGLE SEASON SACK RECORD?

I'm very happy with his all-around game as it is. Certainly he is very capable of breaking all the sack records, and rather he does or not means nothing to me. I see him as a "team first" guy, which could affect his sack totals signigicantly.

Yea, that's the biggest thing stopping JPP from setting the sack record: his teammates. The other pass rushers on the team can also get to the QB too.

With the advent of the passing attack in the NFL where more of the offensive playcalling is shifting toward pass plays, Strahan's sack record is bound to fall. It's just a matter of time.

Also, sacking mobile QBs Vick and RG3 is going to be tough when the defense will be geared to contain them from breaking out positive rushing yards. Allen gets to feast on Stafford and Cutler twice a season for crying out loud.

Don't think he'll break the record, but he will have his good amount.

I'm a Giants fan and really like what JPP brought last year, but he could have just as easily reached his full potential. It just cracks me up that we and others expect for him to keep getting better and that may not be the case at all. I would be totally happy with the same production as last year AND NO INJURY.

I'd rather him break Strahan's team sack records, or Bruce Smith's for that matter. That means plenty of great seasons instead of one monumental one.

[quote user="bLuereverie"]I'd rather him break Strahan's team sack records, or Bruce Smith's for that matter. That means plenty of great seasons instead of one monumental one.[/quote]

With a playe like JPP, you can have both.

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]Yea, that's the biggest thing stopping JPP from setting the sack record: his teammates. The other pass rushers on the team can also get to the QB too.

With the advent of the passing attack in the NFL where more of the offensive playcalling is shifting toward pass plays, Strahan's sack record is bound to fall. It's just a matter of time.

Also, sacking mobile QBs Vick and RG3 is going to be tough when the defense will be geared to contain them from breaking out positive rushing yards. Allen gets to feast on Stafford and Cutler twice a season for crying out loud.[/quote]

Actually, the scrambling, mobile, "running QBs" tend to be sacked more, not less. Probably because this type of QB has the tendency to "extend the play" (ie, something Ben is constantly praised for), and the longer a particular pass play takes to occur, the more likely the QB can be sacked.

Roethlisburger and Romo--not considered as "running" QBs necessarily, like Vick--are especially known for extending plays by very effectively scrambling (being "mobile") around in the backfield. They, on a regular basis, get sacked more than others.

Just this past season, for example, the top 12 most sacked QBs included several of your "mobile" QBs---Roethlisburger, Rodgers, Romo, Newton, Tebow.

Vick's remains a unique style at his position--still, even with Cam in the league--but the Giants have demonstrated in most games vs him (Atlanta and Philly, both) that the key to stopping him relies more on hitting him, knocking him down, even making him cry, more than actual sacks.

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"][quote user="bLuereverie"]I'd rather him break Strahan's team sack records, or Bruce Smith's for that matter. That means plenty of great seasons instead of one monumental one.[/quote]

With a playe like JPP, you can have both.[/quote]

true

All-Pro

This is another reason I'm shocked teams were not interested in Osi. Line him on the other side of Allen and they both dominate.