+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How will our defense stand up this year? How can an offense attack it?

It is no secret that with have one of the best defensive lines in football and one further, the best line-up of defensive ends, especially if we include Kiwi as a DE....
    ...Several teams are likely scheming right now as how they will beat it. The previous season with Perry Fewell as DC, we have seen blown coverages and soft play from the secondary, as well as DE's dropping back into coverage while we rushed three linemen at the QB...without question a recipe for disaster and it was a proven failure. This placed us squarely at the bottom of the barrel in the defensive rankings. Doing this again will make scheming very simple for OC's in the 2012 season.
    So lets say, Fewell learned something last season which helped bring this team around to its superbowl form. How will teams attack it? A healthy Tuck, a healthy and happy Osi and a tireless and dominant JPP and proven pass-rusher Kiwanuka, we seem locked and loaded at DE. the DT's also look to be ready to step it up a notch as well. With a pass-rush monster shaping up like we have, you would think opposing OC's would be panic-stricken and they should be...however, there is alway an offense to keep a defense in line as much as there is always a defense to keep the offense in line.

...The toughest would be a west coast style of offense. Drew Brees shreaded our defense last season with it. Granted Fewell was be a fool with his defensive scheme and playing guy outside of their talent areas. I still contend, however, that the west coast offense is good medicine to ward off a topflight pass-rush. If we were to rush four, with an occassional blitz AND play tight man coverage, there will be few teams talented enough to keep our defense in check.

....I wasn't crazy about having three safetys in the secondary as opposed to thee LB's but it makes perfect sense IF you are sending four at the QB and playing tight on coverage. Pressure on the line and speed in the secondary should mean little time for the plays to progress/develope.

...the west coast dink and dunk plays with proper utilization of the RB could be the only scheme to hurt us, but it would need to operate like a well-oiled machine.

...Our offense should improve a bit this season and by the way it ran last season, we can shoot it out with the best offenses out there but the key for us to stop them will lie directly at Fewell's feet. Don't over-think your opponent. A fast and furious, relentless approach can make this team not just a threat but disgustingly dominant.

I am sure I am over-simplifying it a little but really, it isn't complex in essance.

Thoughts?

Re: How will our defense stand up this year? How can an offense attack it?

We definately have the talent to be great. Im still a little confused about Fewells game against the Colts in 2010

Giants should play hard and do a lot of good things with the talent they have. I feel as time pass with Fewell, the defense may get better. I've seen some things he did that Sheridan did when he was with the Giants dropping D-linemen sometimes and Fox did the same thing I think when he was the Giants D coordinator.

Screens are a great way to slow down our quick DEs. QBs should use the hard count to draw them off sides. RBs throwing chip blocks and then catching the pass can be effective at times. (The best use of RBs against us, IMO) Short drops with quick throws can sometimes be effective against us. Sometimes we have trouble with the scrambling QBs. And of course, try to take advantage of personnel mismatches when possible. We are not that strong vs. a 4WR set, particularly when the opposing team has a good set of WR, and a good pass catching RB.

Most importantly, recognize that the Giants are SB champs, and your team must bring your best game to beat 'em. Play hard all 4 quarters.

the "realist" is a lazy piece of crap that works on his tan while sipping a margarita,
    the pessimist changes the sails while complaining about the lazy piece of crap,
    and the optimist changes the sails while hoping the lazy piece of crap will start to do his share of the work.

[quote user="embeshAtYa"]We definately have the talent to be great. Im still a little confused about Fewells game against the Colts in 2010[/quote]

On paper I actually thought Fewells game plan was excellent. Colts running attack stunk so keep our best DE's on the field and neutralize Colts passing attack Problem was the Colts rushing attack while not good...was better then us only running 4 DL. Combine that with our Offenses continuous 3 and outs. The game was already out of hand at 24-3 by time we brought back the LBs.

It didnt work...but i personally liked the idea. Its not like we wulda stopped Peyton if we ran a 4-3.

BLOOOOOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Until i see it the weakness of this team is the LB's. Short quick throws will neutralize our pass rush and feed underneath our secondary. TE's will be a huge problem for this team

I personally believe that this is what Bellicheck sees in regards to the offense of the future.

BLOOOOOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="thomsoad"]Until i see it the weakness of this team is the LB's. Short quick throws will neutralize our pass rush and feed underneath our secondary. TE's will be a huge problem for this team

I personally believe that this is what Bellicheck sees in regards to the offense of the future.[/quote]

I have to disagree with this. The Giants cover the TE better than most teams. We have some fast LBers in Boley and Williams, who can cover. And by playing in our 3 safety formation much of the time, (which we will continue to do) we again cover the TE better than most other teams.
    the "realist" is a lazy piece of crap that works on his tan while sipping a margarita,
    the pessimist changes the sails while complaining about the lazy piece of crap,
    and the optimist changes the sails while hoping the lazy piece of crap will start to do his share of the work.

Isn't Rivers to be added as a fast LB ?

[quote user="Mercury"][quote user="thomsoad"]Until i see it the weakness of this team is the LB's. Short quick throws will neutralize our pass rush and feed underneath our secondary. TE's will be a huge problem for this team

I personally believe that this is what Bellicheck sees in regards to the offense of the future.[/quote]

I have to disagree with this.* The Giants cover the TE better than most teams.* We have some fast LBers in Boley and Williams, who can cover.* And by playing in our 3 safety formation much of the time, (which we will continue to do) we again cover the TE better than most other teams.
    [/quote]

I would be more then happy to debate this. Our LB's last year were below average (I like Chase but in coverage?) and the idea that a 6'0 220lb CB is going to be successful all game long against a 6'5 280lb ATHLETIC TE just isnt very realistic.

Think Saints. They have the personel and offensive philosophy to decimate us. And they have done it quite well.

BLOOOOOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="mainegiantsfan"]Isn't Rivers to be added as a fast LB ?[/quote]

Yes...but he is thus far unproven. Which is why i added the caveat of "until I see it".

BLOOOOOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!