JOHN MARA REMINISCES ABOUT PICKING ELI OVER BEN

JOHN MARA REMINISCES ABOUT PICKING ELI OVER BEN

"John Mara remembers the Giants organization being torn on who
    to take days before the 2004 NFL Draft.

Eli Manning
    or Ben Roethlisberger?

We all know what has happened
    since. But it is always fun to look back and Mara fondly reminisced about
    trading for Manning on WFAN radio on Tuesday.

"We went right to the last
    day or two before the draft trying to decide between Eli and Ben Roethlisberger,
    who obviously has been a great NFL quarterback as well," Mara said. "They both
    have been brilliant. Really, the decision came down to one guy played in the
    SEC, the best conference in the country, and the other guy played at Miami of
    Ohio against obviously lesser competition."

"Also, [Manning] was on a
    team at Ole Miss that didn't have a tremendous amount of talent and he kind of
    carried that team on his shoulder," Mara added. "We felt he was the better pick
    for us, but obviously either way they both ended up being great players."

Mara also recounted how his father, Wellington Mara,
    wasn't keen on paying such a high price to get Manning, who was taken first
    overall by the Chargers. Wellington Mara had a soft spot for Kerry
    Collins
    but the Giants ended up trading Philip Rivers
    (taken fourth overall), their 2004 third-round pick and 2005 first and
    fifth-round picks.

"It was not an easy decision," Mara said. "It was one
    that even my father was against initially because he had such a strong feeling
    for Kerry Collins, who had played so well for us and kind of resurrected his
    career. I just felt like and Ernie Accorsi felt strongly also
    that this guy had a rare talent and was worth taking a chance on."

Mara
    admits he had some doubts early on when Manning struggled.

"I will tell
    you there were times where I had some doubts," the Giants president and CEO
    said. "I can remember so vividly the first minicamp practice that Eli was here
    for. He just had a terrible day throwing the ball in a windy practice field out
    here. It was going all over the place and he was surrounded by media and
    cameras."

"I remember thinking to myself, I hope it gets better than
    this," Mara added. "Because we just gave up half the franchise to get this guy
    and he is throwing the ball all over the place."

Mara chuckled as he
    recounted that. It's fun for the Giants to look back on everything seeing how it
    all turned out.

"It really wasn’t until the second half of the '04
    season when he got into the games [and] he really struggled at first," Mara
    said. "And then we had that final game of the '04 season when we beat Dallas at
    home and he takes us down the field at the end of the game to win and that just
    sort of kicked off his career for us."

"He certainly has had some ups
    and downs since then," Mara added. "But I will take my chances with the ball in
    his hand at the end the game every day."
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: JOHN MARA REMINISCES ABOUT PICKING ELI OVER BEN

Has it ever been reported how the Giants came to pick Rivers? Were trade talks ongoing with the Chargers and the Chargers said that they preferred Rivers over Ben?

Just don't remember how that aspect played out . . . . .

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

Has it ever been reported how the Giants came to pick Rivers? Were trade talks ongoing with the Chargers and the Chargers said that they preferred Rivers over Ben?

[/quote]

As I remember we didn't have any talks beforehand. We picked Rivers because we knew that SD loved him. We picked him just to use to get Eli.

"Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

[quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

[/quote]

As I remember we didn't have any talks beforehand. We picked Rivers because we knew that SD loved him. We picked him just to use to get Eli.

[/quote]

That's the thing that's always seemed fishy . . . . if we had no talks with SD, how did we know that SD loved Rivers?

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"][quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's the thing that's always seemed fishy . . . . if we had no talks with SD, how did we know that SD loved Rivers?

[/quote]

I guess a lot of these GM's know who others like. I also suppose they would have been happy with Rivers as well. He did win a lot of big games in college. (and turned out to be a great pro).

Those three guys represented a great QB first round. Best since the famous 83 draft.

[quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"][quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

Has it ever been reported how the Giants came to pick Rivers?* Were trade talks ongoing with the Chargers and the Chargers said that they preferred Rivers over Ben?

[/quote]

As I remember we didn't have any talks beforehand.* We picked Rivers because we knew that SD loved him.* We picked him just to use to get Eli.

[/quote]

That's the thing that's always seemed fishy . . . . if we had no talks with SD, how did we know that SD loved Rivers?*

[/quote]

I guess a lot of these GM's know who others like.* I also suppose they would have been happy with Rivers as well.* He did win a lot of big games in college.* (and turned out to be a great pro).*

Those three guys represented a great QB first round.* Best since the famous 83 draft.

[/quote]
    I was always under the impression that the trade was done before the pic and the chargers told us to draft Rivers over Ben
    That's who they wanted

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"][quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

Has it ever been reported how the Giants came to pick Rivers?* Were trade talks ongoing with the Chargers and the Chargers said that they preferred Rivers over Ben?

[/quote]

As I remember we didn't have any talks beforehand.* We picked Rivers because we knew that SD loved him.* We picked him just to use to get Eli.

[/quote]

That's the thing that's always seemed fishy . . . . if we had no talks with SD, how did we know that SD loved Rivers?*

[/quote]

SD knew that Eli wasn't going to play for them & Rivers was the runner up selection. Better to have 2nds than nothing I guess.

Starter

So glad we got Eli. While he and Ben have both had great (possibly Hall of Fame) careers on the field, Eli is the better person by far, and will be a good ambassador for the team.

[quote user="jakegibbs"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"][quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] SD knew that Eli wasn't going to play for them & Rivers was the runner up selection. Better to have 2nds than nothing I guess.[/quote]

They wanted Rivers over Eli. They drafted Eli because they knew we wanted him and would probably give up the store for him. Which we did. Plus there was some egos at work. Eli wasn't going to tell them not to draft him.

A lot of factors at play there. In the end, everyone got what they wanted.

I wasn't aware John was a hater.

http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a quarter turn.