SI: REACHING PLAYOFFS WILL BE "TALL TALK" FOR NY GIANTS

SI: REACHING PLAYOFFS WILL BE "TALL TALK" FOR NY GIANTS

"Sports Illustrated has been doing team-by-team offseason breakdowns, and
    today our friends at SI got around to the defending Super Bowl champion New
    York Giants
    . SI concludes that anyone expecting back-to-back Super Bowl
    titles will be "sorely disappointed."

This does mean the writer, Chris
    Burke, does not think the Giants will be a good team. It's also not a shot at
    the defending champs, just a realistic assessment of the schedule and how
    difficult it is to win back-to-back titles. Here is part of Burke's summary:

"Last year's team got hot at the perfect time, with a six-game win streak
    allowing them to end the year with a title. It will be difficult to repeat, even
    as NFC East champs. Anyone expecting the Giants to cruise to another division
    crown will be sorely disappointed, as just qualifying for the playoffs will be a
    tall task."

I know some of you will take issue with this, or will feel like Burke is
    slighting the Giants. Not me. The Giants will be good. The schedule, though, is
    brutal and every team in the NFC East is better than it was a season ago.
    Repeats are rare in sports nowadays, anyway.

Like last season I would think we will witness another year during which the
    Giants come to the last couple of weeks with a chance. And, if they make it to
    the playoffs they will be a tough out. Pretty hard to be too disappointed by
    that."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: SI: REACHING PLAYOFFS WILL BE "TALL TALK" FOR NY GIANTS

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]SI:* REACHING PLAYOFFS WILL BE "TALL TALK" FOR NY GIANTS

"Sports Illustrated has been doing team-by-team offseason breakdowns, and
    today our friends at SI got around to the defending Super Bowl champion New
    York Giants
    . SI concludes that anyone expecting back-to-back Super Bowl
    titles will be "sorely disappointed."

This does mean the writer, Chris
    Burke, does not think the Giants will be a good team. It's also not a shot at
    the defending champs, just a realistic assessment of the schedule and how
    difficult it is to win back-to-back titles. Here is part of Burke's summary:

"Last year's team got hot at the perfect time, with a six-game win streak
    allowing them to end the year with a title. It will be difficult to repeat, even
    as NFC East champs. Anyone expecting the Giants to cruise to another division
    crown will be sorely disappointed, as just qualifying for the playoffs will be a
    tall task."

I know some of you will take issue with this, or will feel like Burke is
    slighting the Giants. Not me. The Giants will be good. The schedule, though, is
    brutal and every team in the NFC East is better than it was a season ago.
    Repeats are rare in sports nowadays, anyway.

Like last season I would think we will witness another year during which the
    Giants come to the last couple of weeks with a chance. And, if they make it to
    the playoffs they will be a tough out. Pretty hard to be too disappointed by
    that."

[/quote]

I'm not handing us anything. The Eagles and Cowboys are good teams. As for the Redskins, they beat us twice last year and only got better.

You can never assume anything in the NFL but we also improved last season and still have that nucleus.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

There is a difference between back to back titles and not even picking us to make the playoffs. I won't make any predictions about the superbowl or even the playoffs but I do think we go at least 10-6 and get a WC. I don't think that is a stretch considering our 9-7 regular season record, seeing how the team played down the stretch, and the injuries we faced last year.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]You can never assume anything in the NFL but we also improved last season and still have that nucleus.
    [/quote]

what makes us different than other teams is pretty much we have **** figured out, we have our core figured out.

The draft just improved us 20 fold.

The only concern right now I have is the running game, but who knows? We can easily prove that this team has what it takes to run the clock.

I remember a season not too long ago when we came out like gangbusters after a championship the previous year. Luckily this time we wont have a shooting to derail us. 13-3 regular season. Anything can happen in the playoffs andI feel secure with Eli at the helm.

The NFC is going to be loaded this year, and the NFCE will be a very tough division as well.

On paper, all the strong teams got better except for the Saints.

Not too mention, the schedules for the NFCE teams are brutal.

I don't think anyone should take this article as disrespect-- making the playoffs will be a rough journey this year.

The sports writers never give the Giants a chance. I'm proud thatGiants believe differently and do not sit in a corner with a blindfold on. They go out and attempt to prove wrong the antagonists.

Why does everyone worry so much about what the writers think? They're not profits, they can't see into the future. Did anyone one of them predict we'd win the superbowl? Did any of them predict we'd win the superbowl when we made the playoffs?

It's luck of the draw, some team could come out of nowhere and just run the board, no one knows. I'd love to see the Giants repeat, but I'm not banking on it either. Who know's if we'll get decimated by injuries. Maybe Eli gets hurt for the first time and then we're really up the creek.

Instead of listening to the writers, I'm going to ignore them all and watch and see how the season turns out. Personally, I like our chances but that's just my opinion, and the writer's have theirs. There's no difference between the two.

ya know what i cant understand? of any team in the NFL imho, the NYG are the best at handling adversity. This team can weather any storm. Like Andy Dufrane, they can climb through a mile long septic pipe and come out clean the other side.

So we have a tough schedule. so things may get tough for a stretch, its like that every year. only thing is, we've brought home 2 lombardis the last 4 years...to bet against this team bc things "are going to be tough" is a joke in my eyes....

but its ok. the team will make another run, and then people will still bet against us all the way, then the next season, it will be "dont expect the playoffs" all over again
    "The OL is good enough for most of Eli's supposed peers..."