+ Reply to Thread

MARTELLUS BENNETT: ELI MANNING "AN UNSELFISH" QB

MARTELLUS BENNETT: ELI MANNING "AN UNSELFISH" QB

"The debate over whether or not Eli Manning is an elite
    quarterback began last summer when he said that he would consider himself in the
    same class as his brother, Peyton
    Manning
    , and Tom Brady. Manning backed up
    those comments by passing for nearly 5,000 yards while leading the New York Giants to their second
    Lombardi Trophy with him under center.

"To quote one of our captains, you can't spell elite without Eli," Giants defensive end Justin Tuck said of his
    quarterback after a regular season win over the New England Patriots.

Another word you can't spell without E-L-I is "unselfish," which is the word
    newly signed Giants tight end Martellus Bennett used
    to describe Manning.

"Oh man, I don't think there's a better quarterback than him in the NFL right
    now," Bennett told Mike Garafolo of The Star-Ledger during minicamp.
    "Watching his approach to the game and the way he coaches everybody up and gets
    everybody involved, I think he's an unselfish quarterback, which is what you
    want. He throws a very catchable ball, which is always awesome. He's a great
    guy, a great quarterback."

Bennett spent the first four seasons of his career as the No. 2 tight end for
    the Dallas Cowboys behind Jason Witten, who averaged
    122.5 targets per season over that span. Bennett, a former second-round pick,
    was targeted 130 times total with the Cowboys, including a career-low 26 times
    in 2011.

"I mean, he's just looking for the open guy," Bennett said. "It doesn't
    matter who it is or what number you are. If you're open, he's going to hit you.
    You have to be ready. That's what makes it so fun playing in this offense
    because anytime you beat your guy, you know you could get the ball."

Bennett recently bulked up to 291 pounds; it will be hard for Manning to miss
    him this season."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Starter

Re: MARTELLUS BENNETT: ELI MANNING "AN UNSELFISH" QB

he's sort of implying romo played favorites with his targets to certain guys such as witten. after seeing romo stare down dez in week 1 against the jets and throw it right to him despite being covered over the top by a safety and revis underneath, i'd say romo does tend to do that at times.

[quote user="EliTE"]he's sort of implying romo played favorites with his targets to certain guys such as witten. after seeing romo stare down dez in week 1 against the jets and throw it right to him despite being covered over the top by a safety and revis underneath, i'd say romo does tend to do that at times.[/quote]

I'd throw to Witten as much as I could too. Eli has learned how to find the open receiver whether it's Nicks or Hynoski.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

TO used to ***** about Romo playing favorite.....but then again he cried for him too

I don't think that's really a knack on Romo being "selfish" as much as he is "not a good QB" (or at least not a great one). Romo staring down a target in double coverage is most likely due to the fact that he can't do good audibles to save his life. Eli may very well have the best football intelligence of any QB in the NFL today. He can read a defense like the back of his hand, and exploit it.

Post 4/20 mock draft:
    Round 1: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama
    Round 2: ASJ, TE, Washington
    Round 3: Marcus Martin, C, USC
    Round 4: Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford
    Round 5: Khairi Fortt, OLB, California
    Round 6: Ethan Westbrooks, DE, West Texas A&M
    Round 6 comp: Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State

He's an unselfish QB?? I think he means "Equal Opportunity" QB. What would a selfish QB do, run with the ball?

I don't think he was knocking Romo either. I just really think he sees a great chance to make hay with this team and this QB.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Bennett can step up and get the starting TE job.
    There's no such word as "Imgrate".

[quote user="RagTime Blue"]He's an unselfish QB?? I think he means "Equal Opportunity" QB. What would a selfish QB do, run with the ball?

I don't think he was knocking Romo either. I just really think he sees a great chance to make hay with this team and this QB.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Bennett can step up and get the starting TE job.
    [/quote]

Pretty much every QB does this. Theres been times Eli has tried to force it to a WR instead of passing to a wide open Beckum. The only QB who doesn't do this is probably Brees.

[quote user="EliTE"]he's sort of implying romo played favorites with his targets to certain guys such as witten. after seeing romo stare down dez in week 1 against the jets and throw it right to him despite being covered over the top by a safety and revis underneath, i'd say romo does tend to do that at times.[/quote]If I had to choose between Whittin and Bennett I wouldn't choose Bennett. The kind words toward Eli are nice but let's seeMB do something with all those God given gifts.
    No one remembers who came in second.