+ Reply to Thread

MEMORY OF BOSTON COLLEGE'S JAY MCGILLIS LIVES ON IN THE HEARTS OF NY GIANTS' COACH TOM COUGHLNI AND OTHER LOVED ONES

MEMORY OF BOSTON COLLEGE'S JAY MCGILLIS LIVES ON IN THE HEARTS OF NY GIANTS' COACH TOM COUGHLNI AND OTHER LOVED ONES

Excerpt: "Twenty years after
    Boston College safety Jay McGillis died of leukemia, his memory remains
    intertwined in countless lives, most notably Tom Coughlin's. In his name,
    Coughlin established The Jay Fund. It has allotted $3.5 million in grants to
    families suffering through cancer's financial costs."

"The sun shone brightly on the morning of July 7, 1992, as mourners emerged
    from cars outside Our Lady of Lourdes Church, a red brick, one-story building
    with a pitched roof 20 miles south of Boston. It was a Tuesday following a
    tortuous holiday weekend. Family and friends, dressed in dark suits and black
    dresses, negotiated their way into narrow wooden pews. They genuflected and
    folded hands in prayer as Boston College safety Jay McGillis’ funeral mass
    commenced.

McGillis, diagnosed with leukemia that November, died four days earlier. In
    seven months, he had lost 75 pounds, his red hair and, finally, his life.
    Resigned to death after his body rejected a bone marrow transplant from his
    oldest brother Michael, McGillis returned home for his final 48 hours, lying in
    bed, not speaking or communicating. Kathy, his oldest sister, sat to the left of
    his bed on the second floor of the family’s two-story house, holding his hand as
    he inhaled, then let out his last breath. Fireworks went off outside. She ran
    down the hall, opened her calendar book and penned an entry:

“I will never let him leave my heart. Please stay with me forever Jay — I
    need you.”

Supporters, including his coach, Tom Coughlin, then 45 and fresh off his
    first season at BC, a 4-7 campaign, had offered around-the-clock support. Now
    more than 3,000 gathered to remember the 21-year-old McGillis. From the 15th
    row, to the right of the altar, Fran Foley, BC’s director of operations, looked
    at Coughlin, a rigid, red-faced disciplinarian whose staff referred to him as
    “The Iron General.” When the mahogany casket was rolled down the center aisle,
    Foley’s eyes met Coughlin’s.

“It was the first time I realized Tom was human,” Foley says.

Twenty years on, McGillis’ memory remains intertwined in countless lives,
    most notably Tom Coughlin’s. Kathy keeps the worn, sweat-stained baseball hat
    her brother donned during chemotherapy, replete with the red hair he lost to the
    treatment. The No. 31 he wore at BC is quietly retired, worn only on senior day,
    and his wooden stall is still preserved in the locker room. In his name,
    Coughlin established The Jay Fund. It has allotted $3.5 million in grants to
    families suffering through cancer’s financial costs.

“I pray to Saint Jay because I believe he’s a saint,” Coughlin
    says.

Coughlin has witnessed what he calls “Jay Miracles,” watching a boy with a
    brain tumor write poetry for him and a young lady live through cancer that
    spread to her spine only to survive and earn a scholarship. Around his neck,
    beneath his buttoned shirt, Coughlin wears a worn medal given to him by
    McGillis’ mother, Pat. St. Michael the Archangel marks one side, a Guardian
    Angel covers the other. Only the chain has been replaced over the
    years." Read more...

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: MEMORY OF BOSTON COLLEGE'S JAY MCGILLIS LIVES ON IN THE HEARTS OF NY GIANTS' COACH TOM COUGHLNI AND OTHER LOVED ONES

A little insight into who Tom Coughlin, the person, is.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: MEMORY OF BOSTON COLLEGE'S JAY MCGILLIS LIVES ON IN THE HEARTS OF NY GIANTS' COACH TOM COUGHLNI AND OTHER LOVED ONES

Seriously. if I ever get down on The General again.....somebody just shoot me in the face.

That long line of volunteers starts here.......

If you can get through this entire article emotionless, call 911.

# 80

excellent article, If you have a few minutes everyone on this board should read this.

talks about life, sports, and Tom Coughlin's bond with Jay

gives some insight as to who Tom Coughlin is as a person, not just the head coach of the Giants.

GET WELL SOON

[quote user="DownWitJPP"]excellent article, If you have a few minutes everyone on this board should read this.

talks about life, sports, and Tom Coughlin's bond with Jay

gives some insight as to who Tom Coughlin is as a person, not just the head coach of the Giants.[/quote]

+1

# 80