+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Derrick Ward calls it quits

Maybe a comeback with the GMen may be in the cards later this year?

Article on NFL.com

Re: Derrick Ward calls it quits

[quote user="GreenZone"]Maybe a comeback with the GMen may be in the cards later this year?

Article on NFL.com
    [/quote]

That could be a possiblility, if Ware doesn't step up and Bradshaw is made to carry too much it's proven he will break down.

Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

[quote user="Joe Morrison"]

[quote user="GreenZone"]Maybe a comeback with the GMen may be in the cards later this year?

Article on NFL.com
    [/quote]

That could be a possiblility, if Ware doesn't step up and Bradshaw is made to carry too much it's proven he will break down.

[/quote]
    And Wilson?

I can't see him coming back. Once you leave the Giants, you tend to stay gone.

[quote user="Flip Empty"][quote user="Joe Morrison"]

Article on NFL.com
    [/quote]

[/quote] And Wilson? I can't see him coming back. Once you leave the Giants, you tend to stay gone.[/quote]

Probably not a reality but I think the GMEN really rolled the dice on Ware and the new guys, but then again we said the same about our recieving core last year.

Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

Veteran

He got his big pay day and hasn't done squat since

[quote user="jints10"]He got his big pay day and hasn't done squat since[/quote]\

Same can be said for a whole lot of guys that left the GMEN. Says something for the way they are coached here. Lots of success with NY which leads them to beleive that they are something special only to find out when they get their PAYDAYS it was the Giants System all alongthat was making them Shine

Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

The real question:

First ballot hall of famer? I think he makes it in the second try.

[quote user="miked1958"]

[quote user="jints10"]He got his big pay day and hasn't done squat since[/quote]\

Same can be said for a whole lot of guys that left the GMEN. Says something for the way they are coached here. Lots of success with NY which leads them to beleive that they are something special only to find out when they get their PAYDAYS it was the Giants System all alongthat was making them Shine

[/quote]

He left the Giants at 28 years old. That's about when running backs drop substantially in production. Remember Shaun Alexander? One year NFL MVP, the next he is out of the NFL. Running backs don't usually last long. Guys like Tiki Barber and Emmit Smith come by once a decade.
    Larry Johnson had 1800 yards 2 years in a row. The next year, he had 500 and was never the same and out of the NFL. Running backs break down fast and don't last long. I think Ward's decline is more of a case of wear and tear on the body as opposed to the Giants system being infinitely better. Not many running backs can maintain 4 years of 1,000+ yards.

I think the year that he had his 1000 yards rushing was more of a fluke year than anything. When he had that year(2008) we had Steve, Plax and Amani as our receivers. Steve and Amani didn't break 600 yards and we know what happened to Plax that year.

Brandon Jacobs and Ward were our two backs with Bradshaw getting time, albeit very little. We relied more on our running game than any other aspect.

After Ward's payday in Tampa his best rushing season was 409 yards. 2010 he had 315 and 2011 he had 154.

I don't think he was too old, I just think he overachieved one year behind a really good line and a back that softened up defenses...the Brandon Jacobs of old.

Ward was good behind a good O'line, given the state of our O line (not that it's bad a work in progress) I don't think Ward would fair well. I think we have what we need. Best of Luck Derrick!