+ Reply to Thread

NEW YORK GIANTS' BREAKOUT CANDIDATE: DOMENIK HIXON

NEW YORK GIANTS' BREAKOUT CANDIDATE: DOMENIK HIXON

"Is it hard to quantify a 27 year old as a
    possible breakout candidate? Maybe. In the case of Domenik Hixon though, its not so far-fetched. Hixon has
    only played in two games the past two seasons due to torn ACLís and will be 28
    years old this season. He has been prominently used as a kick returner since the
    New York Giants
    claimed him on waivers back in 2007, however this season may be the
    time to prove himself as a receiving option.

We all know that the Giants are looking
    for more options behind the big two at wide receiver. Hixon actually started
    seven games back in 2008 catching 43 balls for 596 yards and a couple of
    touchdowns. Out of all the other options, Eli Manning
    probably has the best rapport with Hixon, mainly because heís been there the
    longest. In a lot of ways, that really does count for something. Hixon isnít
    going to make a pro bowl as a receiver, but heís a good depth player.

If heís gonna make a pro bowl anywhere, it
    may be as a returner. In 2009, he had over 1200 yards on kick returns. The
    Giants are looking for a returner, especially on punts where it seems like itís
    been a revolving door of people for the past few years. Aaron Ross had been the guy on punt returns, but he
    signed with the Jacksonville
    Jaguars

Hixon should be a guy on every Giants
    fanís radar. He may be a pivotal cog in the 2012 team, doing a lot of different
    things."

ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

Re: NEW YORK GIANTS' BREAKOUT CANDIDATE: DOMENIK HIXON

I actually think people might be expecting too much from Hixon. I always thought he was way better than people on this board gave him credit for. But, I also have seen 1st hand how hard it is for a person to recover from 2 ACL tears in a short period of time to the same leg.

I feel the same way about T2. Both are class acts and also aparently lockeroom favorites. I root for them and I hope they return to full speed. But, I think it is unlikely they do it this year.

This is as much a mental recovery as it is a physical. It is very very hard to trust your legs the way you used to after a tear, let alone 2. I give T2 a slight edge because he has at least fully recoevered from this tear 1 time before reinjurying it. I do not think you can say the same for Hixon.

I also think it more likely we do not put hixon in a return spot for the short term.

Veteran

it's so hard to trust someone coming out of two ACLs.. like BlueSanta said its more of a mental thing than a physical thing.. you can train all you want but in the small details you might do something, something small, different than you normally do, and that can be the difference between a difference maker and a bust wr.. im not saying it's impossible but i find it highly unlikely that hixon will ever play again at a very high level, let alone be a breakout player.. (hope im wrong though)

im a firefighter and during an incident last year i completely tore my acl and my mcl, plus shattered my meniscus.. surgery to reconstruct both ligaments, 2 metallic pins and a wire, 5 long months of rehab later, and to this day i'm "recovered" but believe you me.. whenever i jump or do something strong i always make sure i land on the 'good knee' first even though the other knee is more than fine.. it's a mental handicap that i haven't been able to surpass..

can't even begin to think how i would approach things after TWO major knee surgeries..

One positive is that the injuries occurred early in each season, giving Hixon some extra time to recover, when compared to late season injuries like Beckum's and Ballard's.
    Do not feed the trolls.

I expect, but don't think we'll get much. I loved Hixon and hope he makes a good breakout, but not sure if I see it happening

All-Pro

The past couple of years I got excited about Hixon's potential to contribute.... No more. If he stays healthy, its a bonus. I like Hixon a lot too.

It would be a great story . . . . the guy's had a rough few years . . . . .