+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WHY..... do players continue to "burn bridges" after they depart?

Amani Toomer is one of my all time favorite Giants and I won't think any less of him for saying Romo is a better QB than Eli but you have got to be ****ing kidding me... if he ACTUALLY does believe that he's just as ignorant as most other analysts who praise the Cowboys and spit on the Giants.

Didn't Strahan say that when he first broke into broadcasting,
    Exit 172 : 3:44 pm
    he felt like he almost had to be anti-Giants to prove he wasn't going to be a Giants homer on the air?

Maybe Toomer is going through this phase as well?

Either that, or he's just trying to stir the pot, which is how many sports analyst choose to distinguish themselves these days.

I just can't imagine Toomer actually believes that.

There's no point in even saying that, stick to your damn guns and roots. Saying something just to appease people is selling out.

Just a moronic statement to make and it seems like all our former players make these remarks.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

I'm ALL IN are you?

"Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

Re: WHY..... do players continue to "burn bridges" after they depart?

[quote user="NYG4lifeNYK"]Amani Toomer is one of my all time favorite Giants and I won't think any less of him for saying Romo is a better QB than Eli but you have got to be ****ing kidding me... if he ACTUALLY does believe that he's just as ignorant as most other analysts who praise the Cowboys and spit on the Giants.

Didn't Strahan say that when he first broke into broadcasting,
    Exit 172 : 3:44 pm
    he felt like he almost had to be anti-Giants to prove he wasn't going to be a Giants homer on the air?

Maybe Toomer is going through this phase as well?

Either that, or he's just trying to stir the pot, which is how many sports analyst choose to distinguish themselves these days.

I just can't imagine Toomer actually believes that.

There's no point in even saying that, stick to your damn guns and roots. Saying something just to appease people is selling out.

Just a moronic statement to make and it seems like all our former players make these remarks.
    [/quote]

I get the feeling that these ex football players in the media say things like this just to show their new bosses that they will say the controversial thing even if its against their old teammates..

All-Pro

Eli isnt even a top 100 player in the NFL, and the Giants will finish last in the NFC East.

Amani is one of my all time favorite Giants, but WTF is he going around town putting his foot in his mouth. Why should people care if they're labeled a 'homer', he SHOULD be a damned homer, he played his whole career as a Giant and was loved and respected by the fans and owners. For him to come out and say this and that just to avoid the 'homer' label is selling out and I really dont like it
    Round1: AA-Ron Donald, DT, Pitt
    Round2: Kareem Martin, UNC, DE
    Round3: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    Round4: Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
    Round5: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
    Round5: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers

[quote user="Kase-1"]Amani is one of my all time favorite Giants, but WTF is he going around town putting his foot in his mouth. Why should people care if they're labeled a 'homer', he SHOULD be a damned homer, he played his whole career as a Giant and was loved and respected by the fans and owners. For him to come out and say this and that just to avoid the 'homer' label is selling out and I really dont like it
    [/quote]

+1

However he can branch out of the "Giant bias" other ways... he can say other things that don't necessarily ring true with how he feels.

I hope this is the last time Amani sells out... it's a sad thing to see a man like this become just another talking head []

Strahan is really the only Giant that remains true to us... and Howard Cross.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

I'm ALL IN are you?

Veteran

do you hate him for saying that? its honestly is apart of his job as an analyst to say that. whether he means it or is being controversial hes still a giants legend
    RD1. DT Aaron Donald PITT / ARD1. CB Justin Gilbert OKST
    RD2. TE Jace Amaro Texas Tech
    RD3. CB Stanley jean Baptiste Nebraska / ADR3. DT Dominique Easley Florida
    RD4. WR Cody Latimer Indiana
    RD.5 DE Ed Stinson Alabama
    RD5B. C/OG Tyler Larsen Utah
    RD6. OLB Kevin Pierre-Louis Boston College

[quote user="rainierjef"]do you hate him for saying that? its honestly is apart of his job as an analyst to say that. whether he means it or is being controversial hes still a giants legend
    [/quote]

You don't have to sell out to do your job, sorry.

We'll see if this is an on-going occurrence in the future or if he's just doing this to put his name out there a little more.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

I'm ALL IN are you?

Most ex-Giants left for another team didn't really burn anything. Shockey might have been a ******, but he wasn't really anti-giants as much as pro-himself. The front office decided to let him go iirc after Boss did his job in the super bowl. Boss himself basically disappeared entirely like Derrick Ward did. They didn't burn anything either, it's just that we have younger, stronger, and healthier people in the position now. Same thing applies to Plax; sure he's a bit of an idiot for shooting himself, but he's not totally anti-giants either (aside from Rex showing him off, which is really Rex's fault, not Plax). It's just that one would pick Nicks and Cruz over Plax anyway. I haven't really heard anything about Manningham and Jacobs bashing the team other than Jacobs talking about the O-line, which we all can admit does need a bit of work... it's less a bash and more stating fact. And besides, giving that 4-year-old kid a day to remember shows that he still cares about the Giants and especially the fans.

As far as I'm concerned there's only two former Giants (in recent history) that have truly "burned bridges"... that would be Tiki Barber (for throwing the entire team under the bus and constantly criticizing Eli and TC even while he was still on the team), and Steve Smith for going outright traitor on us and signing with the Eagles (after publicly calling JR a liar, I might add). In both cases, it worked to our benefit; younger players stepped up and did their jobs, and we walk away with a lombardi. So as far as I'm concerned, those two can burn for all eternity for their crimes, but it has no impact on our team's performance anymore...

Post 4/20 mock draft:
    Round 1: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama
    Round 2: ASJ, TE, Washington
    Round 3: Marcus Martin, C, USC
    Round 4: Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford
    Round 5: Khairi Fortt, OLB, California
    Round 6: Ethan Westbrooks, DE, West Texas A&M
    Round 6 comp: Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State

If that's his opinion then that's his opinion. I don't see it as burning bridges.

All-Pro

How's he burning bridges? It's not like anyone in the Giants organisation actually cares. To call someone ignorant because they differ in opinion from your own, especially when that person was a former teammate of Eli, is pretty short sighted. But, again he's an analyst and half those conversations are staged anyway. But the bigger question is again, who cares?