+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

AMANI TOOMER DOESN'T BACK DOWN, STILL INSISTS ROMO IS A BETTER QUARTERBACK THAN ELI MANNING

AMANI TOOMER DOESN'T BACK DOWN, STILL INSISTS ROMO IS A BETTER QUARTERBACK THAN ELI MANNING

"Amani Toomer may have
    raised the ire of the Giants fans who once cheered him on but he didn't back off
    his
    Tony Romo is better than Eli Manning
    remarks Friday.

Toomer, appearing on ESPN Radio with Michael Kay, said he researched the
    stats beforehand and that they point to the Cowboy QB.

"I'm not dissing Eli," he told Kay. "It's more of an affirmation of Tony
    Romo
    and how good he is."

Toomer's argument is that Romo's stats are better and that Manning has been
    on better teams with better support, hence his eight playoff wins (and two Super
    Bowls) to Romo's one.

"Of course he's proved he can do it but he's proved that he could do it
    within the function of a great team, a great organization, the same head coach
    and he's been in the same system the entire time," he said of his
    ex-teammate.

"I talked with Zach Thomas who played with Tony Romo under Wade Phillips and
    he said it was a joke. They were listening to rap music before the practices.
    They weren't focusing in at all. And what's Tony Romo going to do in that type
    of situation?

"There are a lot of advantages that Eli has had and I realize that he's taken
    advantage of them but you've got to look at the numbers and how productive Tony
    Romo has been over his entire career and you've got to match up the
    numbers."

In fact, Toomer took that a little further.

"I think you belittle the rest of the Giants by saying Eli's won eight
    playoff games, Eli's won this," he said. "He has but he's been on some really
    good teams that jelled well together on these playoff runs."

Toomer said he was ready to pile on Romo a couple of weeks ago, but was doing
    some show prep for his SIRIUS radio show with Tom Ryan when he began to look at
    Romo differently.

"I was all set ... Romo's no good, he's a fourth-quarter choke and then I
    started doing my job," he said. "I started looking at the numbers, I started
    looking at the fourth quarter statistics. I started looking at the quarterback
    rating and was shocked. I was shocked at how good Tony Romo's statistics really
    were. This guy is very impressive."

Then, on Thursday his co-host, Tim Ryan, said that Manning was the best QB in
    the NFC East and predicted that the Giants would win the division again.

"And I was like, 'wait a minute.' All this information I had gathered on Tony
    Romo, I couldn't let him get away with it," Toomer said. "So I said, 'you know
    what? Tony Romo could be statistically a better quarterback.'"

Kay asked Toomer if he had to pick either to win a game with, which QB he'd
    pick. He said it was an unfair question because he played with Manning who is
    No. 1 in his heart.

"I love Eli. I respect the hell out of him," he said. "But I've got to do my
    job and go beyond what the perception is because perception doesn't go hand in
    hand with the reality."

Kay asked Toomer if he understand the reaction of Giants fans who have lumped
    him in with Tiki Barber, another Manning critic.

"I do and I love the Giants fans as well. I also have a job to do and I don't
    think they'd want me to just sit up there and wave my Giants flag," he said. "I
    don't think I'd have as much credibility on the national stage. I'm

trying to be as objective as I can and I hope Giants fans understand
    that.

"I loved being a Giant and I love Eli Manning. He was one of the best guys I
    ever played with. He was the guy who after I got released by the Giants, he was
    the only one who stepped up and gave me a phone call and told me how much he
    appreciated my help to develop him as a quarterback."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: AMANI TOOMER DOESN'T BACK DOWN, STILL INSISTS ROMO IS A BETTER QUARTERBACK THAN ELI MANNING

Just...stop..

Re: AMANI TOOMER DOESN'T BACK DOWN, STILL INSISTS ROMO IS A BETTER QUARTERBACK THAN ELI MANNING

Lol k.

MUCH better.

all that, just to say Romo has better stats and that's what I based my opinion on...
    "...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

who cares

The only thing I have to say is, it's funny how the exes of other teams show a lot of love for the former team but ex-Giants, suddenly feel the need to be objective analysts. The Giants don't get any love from none of the analyst and then comes the ex-Giant trying to be politically correct. You really cannot say that Eli had better teams because you so-called analyst picks them to win the Superbowl every year , while placing the Giants in third or last place in the East.

If Eli was on better teams, why do they all pick Dallas and Eagles every year based on talent? While Toomer was here, the Cowboys had the better team talent-wise, no question about it. Now with the talent we have it may be different but not for most of Eli's years. (Speaking on offense mostly.)

If Romo was in NY = NO Superbowls!!!!!!!!

Dallas fans don't even like Romo. The Dallas fans trash him every year. They want another QB!!!!!!!!!!! Poll 'em!

Veteran

Considering the stats, Stafford must be better than both Manning and Romo then. Maybe Aikman was a horrible QB too.

You don't need to be a stockbroker to trade stock
    You don't need to be a banker to balance a check book
    You don't need to have played in the NFL to understand football

Many of these NFL players are at the lower end of the intellect food chain.

yeah poor Romo, he was on some real terrible teams when he had that mammoth offensive line and Terrell Owens and Jason Witten and Dez Bryant to throw to.