Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Enough about the "We get no respect, nobody likes us." stuff

Besides the Anti-toomer stuff on the board recently all I see is how we're getting no respect by self proclaimed experts.

Newsflash. We were a 9-7 team last year that had to win 3 of the last 4 games to even MAKE the playoffs. We really only made it because the division was so weak, record wise, normally the NFC East is much more competitive (we were 10-6 the year before and DIDN'T make the playoffs). Eli's even said the team has to be better this year.

I don't think the Eagles or Cowboys are better than us. But you can't deny the potential that they have as far as talent goes. We play in one of the 2 or 3 toughest divisions in football, next to the AFC North and possibly the NFC South (if the Panthers are good this year). This is not the AFC East where the Pats get 4 free wins against the Bills and Dolphins and then 2 slightly less easy wins against a mediocre Jets team that probably will be out of the playoffs this year. To illustrate HOW CLOSE IT IS, all the Eagles had to do last year, as hilariously disappointing as they were, was win one more game and we're sitting at home in January. And that was a team that finished 8-8. Even the damn Redskins, who have been the doormat of the division for years, SWEPT US last year. So they can't be counted on for 2 wins either.

And we DO have the toughest schedule this year in theory. Doesn't mean it will be the toughest in reality, but even having the toughest schedule last year we REALLY struggled through it. We beat the Pats and then lost to the Saints (embarrassingly), 49ers and Packers (although these were close). Now, we beat all of those teams except for NO in the playoffs, and that's great, but think about it for a second. If we pull that **** again this year, all we have to do is lose 1 other game (like the Seahawks from last year, or either redskin game) or so and we could be out altogether, and won't even have a chance to beat up those teams in the playoffs.

Furthermore, it is VERY difficult to repeat, especially in this day and age. It's only been done once in recent times with the Pats. 5 out of 12 teams from the playoffs last year won't make it this year, happens every year.

Do I think we'll be fine? Yeah. Do I think we'll make the playoffs? Yes. I think we'll win the division again and we'll be a tough fight for any team we play in the playoffs. We have a future HOFer head coach, one of the 5 best QBs in the league, two great weapons at WR in what is now a passing league, our pass rush is intact, and the secondary will be healthy. Even the Oline as bad as it was last year I think will be better.

But it's very easy to see this team going 8-8 and being out this year. When you take into account everything above, we have a much more difficult road ahead of us than teams like the Patriots, the Texans and Broncos who play in joke divisions, etc.

The only thing I find ridiculous is that the loss of Jacobs and Manningham are being touted as big deals.

Re: Enough about the "We get no respect, nobody likes us." stuff

Outsiders view the Giants as a 9-7 team that got lucky/hot at the right time.

Insiders know we won the division last year, despite all the injuries we had, and with one of the hardest schedules in the league. Plus, we got healthy at the right time.

Insiders know this team is going to win the division again this year. The media was wrong last year, and they will be wrong again this year.

And the Giants are at their best when they have something to prove. So, let the media proclaim Dallas and Philly champs in July. The Giants will prove them wrong again. We know who will be playing next January.

the "realist" is a lazy piece of crap that works on his tan while sipping a margarita,
    the pessimist changes the sails while complaining about the lazy piece of crap,
    and the optimist changes the sails while hoping the lazy piece of crap will start to do his share of the work.

[quote user="Mercury"]Outsiders view the Giants as a 9-7 team that got lucky/hot at the right time.

Insiders know we won the division last year, despite all the injuries we had, and with one of the hardest schedules in the league. Plus, we got healthy at the right time.

Insiders know this team is going to win the division again this year. The media was wrong last year, and they will be wrong again this year.

And the Giants are at their best when they have something to prove. So, let the media proclaim Dallas and Philly champs in July. The Giants will prove them wrong again. We know who will be playing next January.

[/quote]

How are the outsiders wrong though? We WERE a 9-7 team. You're going to tell me we weren't? We were a few bounces away from winning a game or two more but we were also a few bounces away from maybe not even making it (Cruz's 99 yard touchdown, Romo overthrowing Austin in Dallas) at all. And we did get hot at the right time, always want to be hot at the end of the season. Getting healthy was a part of it. But maybe getting healthy at the right time is luck by extent, because at the time when we needed guys more than ever to be healthy, they got healthy.

Going into 2009 and 2010 we didn't necessarily have high expectations before week 1 and we were out of the playoffs both years, so I don't buy this "best when nobody expects it" garbage. If that was the case we wouldn't have won the superbowl this year because very few people were picking new england.

All that matters is who has the Hardware in their house, keep the coulda shoulda woulda, the GMEN have the proof!
    Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

All-Pro

[quote user="Joe Morrison"]All that matters is who has the Hardware in their house, keep the coulda shoulda woulda, the GMEN have the proof![/quote]That's what I'm talking about.. They can proclaim Dallas and Philly div winners in July all they want. I will take the Titles everytime.

The Pats and GB also can have their 18-0 and 15-1 seasons and I will take the 10-6 and 9-7 ones we posted those same years.. The end result is all that matters. And we have SB rings for both those yrs. all NE and GB have is a lot of meaningless records they broke along the way but didn't get the ultimate for a season and that's a Title
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

[quote user="GOBIGBLUE52"][quote user="Mercury"]Outsiders view the Giants as a 9-7 team that got lucky/hot at the right time.

[/quote]

How are the outsiders wrong though? We WERE a 9-7 team. You're going to tell me we weren't? We were a few bounces away from winning a game or two more but we were also a few bounces away from maybe not even making it (Cruz's 99 yard touchdown, Romo overthrowing Austin in Dallas) at all. And we did get hot at the right time, always want to be hot at the end of the season. Getting healthy was a part of it. But maybe getting healthy at the right time is luck by extent, because at the time when we needed guys more than ever to be healthy, they got healthy.

Going into 2009 and 2010 we didn't necessarily have high expectations before week 1 and we were out of the playoffs both years, so I don't buy this "best when nobody expects it" garbage. If that was the case we wouldn't have won the superbowl this year because very few people were picking new england.
    [/quote]

I am completely with you on this. We are the champs and no one can take it away from us. We won the games we had to and beat some great teams doing it.

But we had some horrible losses against some bad teams last year and made the playoffs because our division was weak. We benefitted from a terrible stretch from Philly where they played horribly. Everything played out perfectly for us. Much of it was out of our control.

But we came together when we had to. Its a tough call. Generally, our regular season performance of 2011 keeps us out of the playoffs.

In other words, we were very lucky, but then took advantage of that good luck.

"Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

All-Pro

We all know how close they came to missing the playoffs. They did win the division though. So why all the love for 2 teams teams THAT didn't make the playoffs? I don't remember the media dismissing Green Bay last year and they too just made the playoffs the year the won the Super Bowl.

[quote user="Mercury"]Outsiders view the Giants as a 9-7 team that got lucky/hot at the right time.

[/quote]

That's how everyone should see last season since that's exactly what happened. We beat the best the NFL had to offer in the playoffs where every team starts at 0-0.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I absolutley LOVE the fact we get no respect from the media and the Talking Heads! This has been a proven recipe for our beloved Gmen to use as fuel for the season. They work harder and talk less, and that my fellow Gmenis the reason we are Giants fans.

We face adversity everyday at whatever we do in our own livesand then sit down and watch our team fight through alot of the same crap we have to deal with only on a bigger level. When they win we feel on top of the world, when they lose we cry, (well atleast I do), all I know is this team has kept me going through many trials and tribulations of my own life.

I want every Giants hater to hate the hardest and best they can and just fuel our team to another title "under the radar". As long as we continue to support them at the games and through this MB, thats allour teamwillneed to keep in their minds and hearts to bring us to the big game once again. "ALL IN"!!!!!

"KILL'EM ALL AND LET THE PARAMEDICS SORT'EM OUT!"

The Giant's "template" of success - coming together at the end of the season and riding that wave through the playoffs to a championship - has now become a strategy that every team in every sport uses or will use.

It's really quite remarkable, but I'm not sure it's actually a sound strategy.

But then again in 1986, I wasn't sure if we were "that" good, or every other team was "that" bad.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a quarter turn.