+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AFTER PEAKING IN 2007, NFL ATTENDANCE HAS STEADILY DECLINED

AFTER PEAKING IN 2007, NFL ATTENDANCE HAS STEADILY DECLINED

"The recent focus on reducing blackouts has obscured a more important stat
    when it comes to keep NFL balance sheets deep in the black.

Despite unprecedented growth of TV audiences, attendance at NFL games reached
    an all-time high in 2007. It has consistently dropped ever since.</p>

In 2011, the NFL posted the lowest total attendance since the league expanded
    to 32 teams in 2002 with the addition of the Houston Texans. That year,
    16,883,310 paying customers attended the 256 regular-season games. The number
    climbed over the next five years, maxing out at 17,345,205 in 2007.</p>

Since then, the numbers has dropped each year. In 2011, the total paid
    attendance of 16,562,706 was lower than the prior yearís 16,569,514, even though
    the 2010 figure excluded the Giants-Vikings game that was moved to Ford Field
    after the roof of the Metrodome collapsed.</p>

It translates to an average paid crowd of 64,698. Thatís the lowest per-game
    number since 1998, when 64,020 tickets were bought per game for 240 total
    regular-season contests.</p>

Repeated shrinkage over the last half decade underscores the challenge the
    NFL is facing. At a time when everything else regarding the sport is growing,
    the league has seen its paying customers steadily drop by more than 4.5 percent
    since 2007.</p>

And so, on the subject of the various changes being made to make the
    in-stadium experience as good or better than staying home, the NFL isnít being
    proactive. The NFL instead is reacting to a troubling downward trend."</p>
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: AFTER PEAKING IN 2007, NFL ATTENDANCE HAS STEADILY DECLINED

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]AFTER PEAKING IN 2007, NFL ATTENDANCE HAS STEADILY DECLINED

"The recent focus on reducing blackouts has obscured a more important stat when it comes to keep NFL balance sheets deep in the black.

Despite unprecedented growth of TV audiences, attendance at NFL games reached an all-time high in 2007. It has consistently dropped ever since.</P>

In 2011, the NFL posted the lowest total attendance since the league expanded to 32 teams in 2002 with the addition of the Houston Texans. That year, 16,883,310 paying customers attended the 256 regular-season games. The number climbed over the next five years, maxing out at 17,345,205 in 2007.</P>

Since then, the numbers has dropped each year. In 2011, the total paid attendance of 16,562,706 was lower than the prior yearís 16,569,514, even though the 2010 figure excluded the Giants-Vikings game that was moved to Ford Field after the roof of the Metrodome collapsed.</P>

It translates to an average paid crowd of 64,698. Thatís the lowest per-game number since 1998, when 64,020 tickets were bought per game for 240 total regular-season contests.</P>

Repeated shrinkage over the last half decade underscores the challenge the NFL is facing. At a time when everything else regarding the sport is growing, the league has seen its paying customers steadily drop by more than 4.5 percent since 2007.</P>

And so, on the subject of the various changes being made to make the in-stadium experience as good or better than staying home, the NFL isnít being proactive. The NFL instead is reacting to a troubling downward trend."</P>

[/quote]</P>

Probably all about the economy.</P>
    Get well soon 80.

[quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]AFTER PEAKING IN 2007, NFL ATTENDANCE HAS STEADILY DECLINED

"The recent focus on reducing blackouts has obscured a more important stat when it comes to keep NFL balance sheets deep in the black.

Despite unprecedented growth of TV audiences, attendance at NFL games reached an all-time high in 2007. It has consistently dropped ever since.</p>

In 2011, the NFL posted the lowest total attendance since the league expanded to 32 teams in 2002 with the addition of the Houston Texans. That year, 16,883,310 paying customers attended the 256 regular-season games. The number climbed over the next five years, maxing out at 17,345,205 in 2007.</p>

Since then, the numbers has dropped each year. In 2011, the total paid attendance of 16,562,706 was lower than the prior yearís 16,569,514, even though the 2010 figure excluded the Giants-Vikings game that was moved to Ford Field after the roof of the Metrodome collapsed.</p>

It translates to an average paid crowd of 64,698. Thatís the lowest per-game number since 1998, when 64,020 tickets were bought per game for 240 total regular-season contests.</p>

Repeated shrinkage over the last half decade underscores the challenge the NFL is facing. At a time when everything else regarding the sport is growing, the league has seen its paying customers steadily drop by more than 4.5 percent since 2007.</p>

And so, on the subject of the various changes being made to make the in-stadium experience as good or better than staying home, the NFL isnít being proactive. The NFL instead is reacting to a troubling downward trend."</p>

[/quote]</p>

Probably all about the economy.</p>[/quote]Most likely. That and increase in ticket prices, psls. $7 beers and other expensive food. Most people figure why am I going to spend an arm and a leg when I can watch it on a flatscreen at home in my recliner or my local watering hole.

Thomas Richard Coughlin is a saint!

I think it's a few things. One of them is family experience. Going to games for the most part are not family friendly. People swearing at you and acting a fool. Another is the quality of games on television. Game coverage at home is awesome. The redzone or NFL ticket? Why go to a game when you can watch anyone that you want? The third is fantasy football. At games, it is impossible to get updates because of poor or no phone reception at games. Those types of hardcore fanatics will simply stay away from the stadium to get updates and all that.
    Close or you hit the bricks

[quote user="sharick88"]I think it's a few things. One of them is family experience. Going to games for the most part are not family friendly. People swearing at you and acting a fool. Another is the quality of games on television. Game coverage at home is awesome. The redzone or NFL ticket? Why go to a game when you can watch anyone that you want? The third is fantasy football. At games, it is impossible to get updates because of poor or no phone reception at games. Those types of hardcore fanatics will simply stay away from the stadium to get updates and all that.[/quote]

you touched on some of it, but still th ebiggest thing is the fact of the economy in this country and how over priced every thing is.

just say you have a fam of 4, $400 buck for tickets, extra $50 for parking pass then depending on where you live you got $3.60 a gallon, 10 bucks a beer, 6 dollars a hot dog, actually merchandise? PALEASE, $45 a tee-shirt - its just madness...

I am officially not going back to Yankee Stadium, they have upped parking to $35 bucks a game
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

[quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]AFTER PEAKING IN 2007, NFL ATTENDANCE HAS STEADILY DECLINED

Despite unprecedented growth of TV audiences, attendance at NFL games reached an all-time high in 2007. It has consistently dropped ever since.</p>

In 2011, the NFL posted the lowest total attendance since the league expanded to 32 teams in 2002 with the addition of the Houston Texans. That year, 16,883,310 paying customers attended the 256 regular-season games. The number climbed over the next five years, maxing out at 17,345,205 in 2007.</p>

Since then, the numbers has dropped each year. In 2011, the total paid attendance of 16,562,706 was lower than the prior yearís 16,569,514, even though the 2010 figure excluded the Giants-Vikings game that was moved to Ford Field after the roof of the Metrodome collapsed.</p>

It translates to an average paid crowd of 64,698. Thatís the lowest per-game number since 1998, when 64,020 tickets were bought per game for 240 total regular-season contests.</p>

Repeated shrinkage over the last half decade underscores the challenge the NFL is facing. At a time when everything else regarding the sport is growing, the league has seen its paying customers steadily drop by more than 4.5 percent since 2007.</p>

And so, on the subject of the various changes being made to make the in-stadium experience as good or better than staying home, the NFL isnít being proactive. The NFL instead is reacting to a troubling downward trend."</p>

[/quote]</p>

Probably all about the economy.</p>[/quote]

It's all economics. I'm sure the onset of PSL's and new stadiums factors in in some markets, but the economy is the 800 pound gorilla
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

# 80

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="sharick88"]I think it's a few things. One of them is family experience. Going to games for the most part are not family friendly. People swearing at you and acting a fool. Another is the quality of games on television. Game coverage at home is awesome. The redzone or NFL ticket? Why go to a game when you can watch anyone that you want? The third is fantasy football. At games, it is impossible to get updates because of poor or no phone reception at games. Those types of hardcore fanatics will simply stay away from the stadium to get updates and all that.[/quote]

you touched on some of it, but still th ebiggest thing is the fact of the economy in this country and how over priced every thing is.

just say you have a fam of 4, $400 buck for tickets, extra $50 for parking pass then depending on where you live you got $3.60 a gallon, 10 bucks a beer, 6 dollars a hot dog, actually merchandise? PALEASE, $45 a tee-shirt - its just madness...

I am officially not going back to Yankee Stadium, they have upped parking to $35 bucks a game
    [/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. Last season, I went to a home game from California with my family. 450 for each plane ticket. 300 for the hotel for 3 nights, 250 for each ticket, and at least 200 dollars for food. The funny thing about this trip is that I am planning on doing it again and also going to the niners game. LOL
    Close or you hit the bricks

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="sharick88"]I think it's a few things. One of them is family experience. Going to games for the most part are not family friendly. People swearing at you and acting a fool. Another is the quality of games on television. Game coverage at home is awesome. The redzone or NFL ticket? Why go to a game when you can watch anyone that you want? The third is fantasy football. At games, it is impossible to get updates because of poor or no phone reception at games. Those types of hardcore fanatics will simply stay away from the stadium to get updates and all that.[/quote]

<u>I am officially not going back to Yankee Stadium, they have upped parking to $35 bucks a game</u>
    [/quote]Parking garage by the Babe Ruth entrance? If you stay to the right there is a gated parking lot. Almost positive its $20

Thomas Richard Coughlin is a saint!

The reason is because of PSL's. Some many new stadiums.. people can't afford to pay the new ticket prices associated with the new stadiums... let alone concessions there. I was at the first game in the new Giants stadium and that place was half empty. Ticket prices for the Giants, Jets, Cowboys games has gone up a lot. I know that other teams have recently included PSL's for new ticketholders as well. The economy has sucked.. People can't afford the $90 a person (all of NFL) football day (including parking/transportation and ticket) anymore.

Its def the increased cost of attending a game.

Yes Giants stadium did the half-assed try by installing a rail line to the stadium (but it only runs 2hrs before kickoff, so you cant tailgate and take the train) but everything other than that it is all about pinching every cent from the fan.

$25-$50 Parking Pass
    $150-$200 Tickets

For 1 person to attend a game its gonna run AT LEAST $175 and thats without transportation, tailgate food, and drink prices. Personally I NEVER buy food in the stadium cept maybe $5 bag of peanuts to compliment my $9 beers, but thats why we get there when the parking lot opens to tailgate properly.

What ever happened to the old days when blue-collar working class fans could attend games but sat in the upper deck, now its all minivan driving families who want to change everything to their liking
    Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'