+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GIANTS' JASON PIERRE-PAUL NOT ON LIST OF YOUNG PLAYERS TO BUILD AROUND

GIANTS' JASON PIERRE-PAUL NOT ON LIST OF YOUNG PLAYERS TO BUILD AROUND

"ESPN Insider KC Joyner recently penned an article declaring his top 10 NFL players under the age of 25 to build a franchise
    around
    . Hakeem Nicks
    of the New York Giants,
    who is still just 24, checks in on Joyner's list at No. 6. That's fine. What
    isn't fine, in my mind is that defensive end Jason
    Pierre-Paul
    , 23, is nowhere to be found on Joyner's list.

How is that possible? Here is a kid who, at the age of 23, is the best
    defensive player on the defending Super Bowl champions. A guy who, in his second
    season in the league in 2011, was fourth in the league with 16.5 sacks, and was
    named an All-Pro. A guy who is probably the most athletic defensive end in the
    game, and is already virtually unblockable at times while still learning his
    craft. Pierre-Paul had a +30.3 grade from Pro Football Focus, sixth in the
    league among defensive ends in 2011.

In all honesty, based purely on upside, I think JPP belongs on this list even
    more than Nicks does.

It is really difficult to argue with Denver linebacker Von Miller
    being on the list after a rookie season that saw him register 12 sacks, 19
    quarterback hits, 29 hurries and 65 tackles along with an astounding +50.4 PFF
    grade.

There are, however, four players on Joyner's list who have yet to play a down
    in the NFL. Those are quarterbacks Robert
    Griffin III
    and Andrew Luck,
    running back Trent
    Richardson
    and offensive tackle Matt Kalil. I
    can almost understand putting RGIII and Luck on the list, but Richardson or
    Kalil? What is Joyner thinking? Really, in my mind, hard to justify putting
    anyone who has yet to play a snap on the list ahead of a 23-year-old All Pro who
    already has to be in the conversation when discussing best defensive players in
    the league."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: GIANTS' JASON PIERRE-PAUL NOT ON LIST OF YOUNG PLAYERS TO BUILD AROUND

LOL. Really now? You don't even need to be a homer to realize that he should be on the list

Veteran

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]GIANTS' JASON PIERRE-PAUL NOT ON LIST OF YOUNG PLAYERS TO BUILD AROUND

"ESPN Insider KC Joyner recently penned an article declaring his top 10 NFL players under the age of 25 to build a franchise
    around
    . Hakeem Nicks
    of the New York Giants,
    Pierre-Paul

defensive player on the defending Super Bowl champions. A guy who, in his second

more than Nicks does.

grade.

Griffin III
    and Andrew Luck,
    running back Trent
    Richardson
    anyone who has yet to play a snap on the list ahead of a 23-year-old All Pro who
    the league."

[/quote]

Another dumb list. How can you put players on any list if they haven't even played, yet???? Whatever.

[quote user="njersey"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]GIANTS' JASON PIERRE-PAUL NOT ON LIST OF YOUNG PLAYERS TO BUILD AROUND

around
    . Hakeem Nicks
    of the New York Giants,
    Pierre-Paul

more than Nicks does.

grade.

Griffin III
    and Andrew Luck,
    running back Trent
    Richardson
    the league."

[/quote]

Another dumb list. How can you put players on any list if they haven't even played, yet???? Whatever.[/quote]

Yet we all do that. How many of us have crowned David Wilson a starter this season and Da'Rel Scott a starter last season? It's just the nature of the beast. News articles are nothing more than the opinion of the writer.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I feel bad for people who pay extra for espn insider for garbage like this

JPP is still raw.

/red

Lunacy. JPP should be near the top of the list when it comes to both tapped and untapped potential.

[quote user="fourth&forever"]JPP is still raw.

/red

Lunacy. JPP should be near the top of the list when it comes to both tapped and untapped potential.[/quote]

It could also e argued that Victor Cruz should have made the list.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="njersey"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]GIANTS' JASON PIERRE-PAUL NOT ON LIST OF YOUNG PLAYERS TO BUILD AROUND

around
    . Hakeem Nicks
    of the New York Giants,
    Pierre-Paul

more than Nicks does.

grade.

Griffin III
    and Andrew Luck,
    running back Trent
    Richardson
    the league."

[/quote]

Another dumb list. How can you put players on any list if they haven't even played, yet???? Whatever.[/quote]

Yet we all do that.* How many of us have crowned David Wilson a starter this season and Da'Rel Scott a starter last season?* It's just the nature of the beast.* News articles are nothing more than the opinion of the writer.
    [/quote]

Of course you're right, RF.

But none of us here (presumably) are associated with a professional sports news org of some repute, nor are paid for our "professional" opinion.

Joyner's readers -- and ESPN readers and viewers in general -- deserve better, in my opinion. (Maybe too much to ask for).

The fact that he values a WR over a DE as a position to build a team around, not to mention he lists a RB--rookie or not--as a position to build a team around, reads more like an opinion of a 13 year old who has just begun to follow the NFL rather than a professional sports analyst.

If nothing else, he could have at least checked with the owner of the Saints about the value of building a team around a highly prized RB, (circa 1999).

Yes, it's an "opinion of the writer", but wouldn't you think the opinion should reveal a little bit more thought and/or savvy than what one sees on a typical team's fan message board?

And, if not, then either the writer for an organization like ESPN should not be paid for his/her opinion, or WE should be paid for ours. IM(unpaid)O.

[quote user="gmen46"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="njersey"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]GIANTS' JASON PIERRE-PAUL NOT ON LIST OF YOUNG PLAYERS TO BUILD AROUND

around
    . Hakeem Nicks
    of the New York Giants,
    Pierre-Paul

more than Nicks does.

grade.

Griffin III
    and Andrew Luck,
    running back Trent
    Richardson
    the league."

[/quote]

Yet we all do that. How many of us have crowned David Wilson a starter this season and Da'Rel Scott a starter last season? It's just the nature of the beast. News articles are nothing more than the opinion of the writer.
    [/quote]

Of course you're right, RF.

But none of us here (presumably) are associated with a professional sports news org of some repute, nor are paid for our "professional" opinion.

Joyner's readers -- and ESPN readers and viewers in general -- deserve better, in my opinion. (Maybe too much to ask for).

The fact that he values a WR over a DE as a position to build a team around, not to mention he lists a RB--rookie or not--as a position to build a team around, reads more like an opinion of a 13 year old who has just begun to follow the NFL rather than a professional sports analyst.

If nothing else, he could have at least checked with the owner of the Saints about the value of building a team around a highly prized RB, (circa 1999).

Yes, it's an "opinion of the writer", but wouldn't you think the opinion should reveal a little bit more thought and/or savvy than what one sees on a typical team's fan message board?

And, if not, then either the writer for an organization like ESPN should not be paid for his/her opinion, or WE should be paid for ours. IM(unpaid)O.[/quote]

I honestly don't think those who get paid to speak their minds are necessarily any more informed than we fans sometimes.

All-Pro

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="fourth&forever"]JPP is still raw.

/red

Lunacy. JPP should be near the top of the list when it comes to both tapped and untapped potential.[/quote]

It could also e argued that Victor Cruz should have made the list.
    [/quote]

Cruz is 25