+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Things ROMO is better at then ELI

Re: The Things ROMO is better at then ELI

[quote user="jomo"]

[quote user="Ntegrase96"]And now my Cowboys fan side: 1. Better at playing with a lead 2. Better at not turning the ball over 3. Accuracy 4. Elusiveness 5. Improvisation[/quote]I'll give you elusiveness and improvisation but not accuracy or turning the ball over. The ball comes out of Romo's hand funny when he's passing and sometimes just when he is standing back there. I wouldn't extrapolate # of interceptions into "accuracy".</P>

He has also been much less effective against teams who's learned how to keep him in the pocket. He is most dangerous when he gets outside the pocket and makes up a play,</P>[/quote]

I would. I realize there are factors that can alter stats, but the consistent trend is hard to argue with.

He's consistently had a better completion percentage and less interceptions.

The ball comes out of his hands 'funny' because he he can get the ball out quicker than just about any QB in the league.

Meanwhile, Eli throws quite a few 'wobblers' and sails the ball even still today.

Granted, Eli's got the arm strength. I think sometimes that makes it seem like he's more accurate. I'll say that he can throw an out route better than Romo for sure.

That's what I've based my decision on

[quote user="wolfie"]

I said this before, stats are just that, stats. Romo has an all-pro tight end who will one day be in the hall. Take Whitten out of the mix, and give Romo an average tight end like Eli has had and his stats will drop big-time. Having Whitten opens everything up for Romo, and if you don't think it does, you haven't been watching the same games I have. He's Romo's check down and probably leads the team in receptions every year. At least it seems that ways.</P>

Anyway, put Whitten in his prime, on the Giants and Eli would have the almighty stats, and three rings by now.</P>[/quote]

The legend of Eli continues to be inflated around here.

Eli is a big reason why the Giants have won 2 superbowls, but he isn't the only one.

Based on his production, and I mean production and not stats, he wasn't considered to be a top QB until 2009 when he stepped out of his 'bus driver' role.

The team was on his shoulders and the Giants failed to make the playoffs the next 2 years.

Look, I'm as impressed with Eli's performance last year as anyone. But let's not pretend Eli has been great for the majority of his career and only a few pieces away from more championships in past years.

If anything, it was the defense that was lacking a few pieces.

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="jomo"]

[quote user="Ntegrase96"]And now my Cowboys fan side: 1. Better at playing with a lead 2. Better at not turning the ball over 3. Accuracy 4. Elusiveness 5. Improvisation[/quote]I'll give you elusiveness and improvisation but not accuracy or turning the ball over. The ball comes out of Romo's hand funny when he's passing and sometimes just when he is standing back there. I wouldn't extrapolate # of interceptions into "accuracy".</P>

He has also been much less effective against teams who's learned how to keep him in the pocket. He is most dangerous when he gets outside the pocket and makes up a play,</P>[/quote] I would. I realize there are factors that can alter stats, but the consistent trend is hard to argue with. He's consistently had a better completion percentage and less interceptions. The ball comes out of his hands 'funny' because he he can get the ball out quicker than just about any QB in the league. Meanwhile, Eli throws quite a few 'wobblers' and sails the ball even still today. Granted, Eli's got the arm strength. I think sometimes that makes it seem like he's more accurate. I'll say that he can throw an out route better than Romo for sure. That's what I've based my decision on[/quote]A longer period of analysis is useful but not as useful as having a great TE to go to when nothing else is open plus the 'boys have had MUCh better options out of the backfield. If you've watched the Giants much over the past 5 years you know that Jacobs simply dropped many a 3 yard pass and AB was only marginally better. Eli was also plagued over a 3 year period (before last year) with a boat load of tipped passed leading to interceptions. These impacted passing % AND interception. Further if you break down the tape you will find the majority were definitely on the receiver rather than Eli putting one of those floaters out there. I can't give you the accuracy thing based on completion % and/or interceptions. Your boy sure is elusive though, just like those playoff wins. [] Sorry, that was too easy.
    No one remembers who came in second.

All-Pro

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="wolfie"]

I said this before, stats are just that, stats. Romo has an all-pro tight end who will one day be in the hall. Take Whitten out of the mix, and give Romo an average tight end like Eli has had and his stats will drop big-time. Having Whitten opens everything up for Romo, and if you don't think it does, you haven't been watching the same games I have. He's Romo's check down and probably leads the team in receptions every year. At least it seems that ways.</P>

Anyway, put Whitten in his prime, on the Giants and Eli would have the almighty stats, and three rings by now.</P>

[/quote] The legend of Eli continues to be inflated around here. Eli is a big reason why the Giants have won 2 superbowls, but he isn't the only one. Based on his production, and I mean production and not stats, he wasn't considered to be a top QB until 2009 when he stepped out of his 'bus driver' role. The team was on his shoulders and the Giants failed to make the playoffs the next 2 years. Look, I'm as impressed with Eli's performance last year as anyone.[/quote]</P>

So when the Giants are doing well it sthe defense, but when they arent it is Eli's fault? Uh, Eli carried this team more then ever last season. The defense gave up 400 points, the running game was last in the league, we didnt have any real TE, our Oline was crap.... Did you see what Eli did in the playoffsin 2007-08? Here let me get it for you, 854 yards, 6 TDs, 1INT (Steve Smith drop in Superbowl at 5 yard line). Or how about 2011's playoffs? NFL record 1,219 yards, 9 TDs and 1 INT. Eli carried this team 2x in the playoffs (even though in 2007 the defense was spectacular), and came away with 2 championships. Now, no QB can win it all himself. Tom Brady's SB record is completely exaggerated. The MVP was the kicker. 3 SBs won by a FG everytime. Dont forget about that Tuck Rule that got the ball rolling. See, things like that can make or break a QBs reputation and it really doesnt have much to do with that QB. </P>

Saying the team was on his shoulders and the team failed to make the playoffs because of it is ridiculous. </P>

Eli also had to deal with some HUGE egos in NY when he was young and developing which stunted his growth IMO. Tiki? Shockey? Funny when those guys left, Eli flourished, isnt it?</P>

[quote user="jomo"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="jomo"]

He has also been much less effective against teams who's learned how to keep him in the pocket. He is most dangerous when he gets outside the pocket and makes up a play,</P>[/quote] I would. I realize there are factors that can alter stats, but the consistent trend is hard to argue with. He's consistently had a better completion percentage and less interceptions. The ball comes out of his hands 'funny' because he he can get the ball out quicker than just about any QB in the league. Meanwhile, Eli throws quite a few 'wobblers' and sails the ball even still today. Granted, Eli's got the arm strength. I think sometimes that makes it seem like he's more accurate. I'll say that he can throw an out route better than Romo for sure. That's what I've based my decision on[/quote]A longer period of analysis is useful but not as useful as having a great TE to go to when nothing else is open plus the 'boys have had MUCh better options out of the backfield. If you've watched the Giants much over the past 5 years you know that Jacobs simply dropped many a 3 yard pass and AB was only marginally better. Eli was also plagued over a 3 year period (before last year) with a boat load of tipped passed leading to interceptions. These impacted passing % AND interception. Further if you break down the tape you will find the majority were definitely on the receiver rather than Eli putting one of those floaters out there. I can't give you the accuracy thing based on completion % and/or interceptions. Your boy sure is elusive though, just like those playoff wins. [] Sorry, that was too easy.[/quote]

...Well I just lowered the shields for that one, didn't I?

[b]

[quote user="TuckYou"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="wolfie"]

Anyway, put Whitten in his prime, on the Giants and Eli would have the almighty stats, and three rings by now.</P>

[/quote] The legend of Eli continues to be inflated around here. Eli is a big reason why the Giants have won 2 superbowls, but he isn't the only one. Based on his production, and I mean production and not stats, he wasn't considered to be a top QB until 2009 when he stepped out of his 'bus driver' role. The team was on his shoulders and the Giants failed to make the playoffs the next 2 years. Look, I'm as impressed with Eli's performance last year as anyone.[/quote]</P>

So when the Giants are doing well it sthe defense, but when they arent it is Eli's fault? Uh, Eli carried this team more then ever last season. The defense gave up 400 points, the running game was last in the league, we didnt have any real TE, our Oline was crap.... Did you see what Eli did in the playoffs*in 2007-08? Here let me get it for you, 854 yards, 6 TDs, 1INT (Steve Smith drop in Superbowl at 5 yard line). Or how about 2011's playoffs? NFL record 1,219 yards, 9 TDs and 1 INT. Eli carried this team 2x in the playoffs (even though in 2007 the defense was spectacular), and came away with 2 championships. Now, no QB can win it all himself. Tom Brady's SB record is completely exaggerated. The MVP was the kicker. 3 SBs won by a FG everytime. Dont forget about that Tuck Rule that got the ball rolling. See, things like that can make or break a QBs reputation and it really doesnt have much to do with that QB. </P>

Saying the team was on his shoulders and the team failed to make the playoffs because of it is ridiculous. </P>

Eli also had to deal with some HUGE egos in NY when he was young and developing which stunted his growth IMO. Tiki? Shockey? Funny when those guys left, Eli flourished, isnt it?</P>[/quote]

I'm not throwing the age old argument out there that Eli wasn't the reason that the Giants won the first superbowl.

He was a BIG part of that.

I'm not giving the defense credit, nor am I taking any credit away from Eli's season last year and post season performances.

I AM saying that adding a Jason Witten type player wouldn't have pushed Eli into the uper echelon of quarterbacks sooner and propelled the Giants to more super bowls.

Here's how I see it:

-Eli was down right awful up until the 2007 playoffs-- but he played a nice bus driver role and this is about the time he solidified himself as 'clutch'-- although there were hints of that early in his career (and hints to the contrary as well).

-2008 the run game and defense carried the team until Plaxico Burress shot himself and then teams started stacking the box. The Eagles dared Eli to beat them with his arm and how did he respond? 15/29 169 5.8 0 2

-2009 is when Eli came on and the Giants were solely on his shoulders. But the defense under Sherridan was horrendous. He put up a lot of yard, but a lot of turnovers as well-- 2010 was a similar story as well.

-2011-- He played great and was a big proponent to the Giants superbowl championship.

My contention is that an all pro tight end wouldn't have helped him much in his early career since he was awful... Wouldn't have helped him against Philadelphia in the playoffs. And he needed more defense, not Jason Witten, to make te playoffs in 2009 and 2010.

More weapons would have helped Eli, but I contend that the Giants weren't truly "Eli's team" until 2009 and it wasn't until last year that Eli's skills developed to where he could be one of those QBs that can just outscore the majority of others.

All-Pro

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="TuckYou"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="wolfie"]

So when the Giants are doing well it sthe defense, but when they arent it is Eli's fault? Uh, Eli carried this team more then ever last season. The defense gave up 400 points, the running game was last in the league, we didnt have any real TE, our Oline was crap.... Did you see what Eli did in the playoffsin 2007-08? Here let me get it for you, 854 yards, 6 TDs, 1INT (Steve Smith drop in Superbowl at 5 yard line). Or how about 2011's playoffs? NFL record 1,219 yards, 9 TDs and 1 INT. Eli carried this team 2x in the playoffs (even though in 2007 the defense was spectacular), and came away with 2 championships. Now, no QB can win it all himself. Tom Brady's SB record is completely exaggerated. The MVP was the kicker. 3 SBs won by a FG everytime. Dont forget about that Tuck Rule that got the ball rolling. See, things like that can make or break a QBs reputation and it really doesnt have much to do with that QB. </P>

Eli also had to deal with some HUGE egos in NY when he was young and developing which stunted his growth IMO. Tiki? Shockey? Funny when those guys left, Eli flourished, isnt it?</P>

[/quote] I'm not throwing the age old argument out there that Eli wasn't the reason that the Giants won the first superbowl. He was a BIG part of that. I'm not giving the defense credit, nor am I taking any credit away from Eli's season last year and post season performances. I AM saying that adding a Jason Witten type player wouldn't have pushed Eli into the uper echelon of quarterbacks sooner and propelled the Giants to more super bowls. Here's how I see it: -Eli was down right awful up until the 2007 playoffs-- but he played a nice bus driver role and this is about the time he solidified himself as 'clutch'-- although there were hints of that early in his career (and hints to the contrary as well). -2008 the run game and defense carried the team until Plaxico Burress shot himself and then teams started stacking the box. The Eagles dared Eli to beat them with his arm and how did he respond? 15/29 169 5.8 0 2 -2009 is when Eli came on and the Giants were solely on his shoulders. But the defense under Sherridan was horrendous. He put up a lot of yard, but a lot of turnovers as well-- 2010 was a similar story as well. -2011-- He played great and was a big proponent to the Giants superbowl championship. My contention is that an all pro tight end wouldn't have helped him much in his early career since he was awful... Wouldn't have helped him against Philadelphia in the playoffs. And he needed more defense, not Jason Witten, to make te playoffs in 2009 and 2010. More weapons would have helped Eli, but I contend that the Giants weren't truly "Eli's team" until 2009 and it wasn't until last year that Eli's skills developed to where he could be one of those QBs that can just outscore the majority of others.[/quote]</P>

So basically, what you are saying is Eli went through a natural progression of a QB in the NFL, going from awful to elite in 8 years. Thats what the great QBs do. They dont all start out great and elite. Natural progression. And obviously the team wasnt Eli's Team until 2009ish. He was still a young QB developing and growing. I think Eli changed into the Eli of now as soon as the Vets around him started to get younger then himself. When he first arrived, everyone wanted to keep Warner at QB and were like, look at this kid. He sucks. He didnt have control. 07 he stepped up, but you are right, it wasnt till after that, after Tiki, after Plax, after Toomer, after Strahan, that he became the leader and elite QBhe is now. </P>

<SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">And if he progressed from awful to elite in 8 years, where does he go in the next 5-6 years? He seems to be only getting better. He won a superbowl with Toomer, Smith, Plax and Boss, and then with Nicks, Cruz, Manningham and Ballard. Completely new cast of players. </FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">A lot of your other points are bogus too. What QB makes the playoffs every single year anyway? Or wins every playoff game he ever played. Of course Eli has his bad games. Doesnt mean his skill level was low or something. That Eagles playoff game, the wind was whipping like crazy and Eli doesnt have the arm to rip through the crossing Meadowland winds at times. It happens. What would be amazing is if Eli played in a dome like Romo. His numbers would be through the roof.</FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Take Drew Brees as an example. He is way better in the superdome then outside it. </FONT></SPAN></P>

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="jomo"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="jomo"]

He has also been much less effective against teams who's learned how to keep him in the pocket. He is most dangerous when he gets outside the pocket and makes up a play,</P>[/quote] I would. I realize there are factors that can alter stats, but the consistent trend is hard to argue with. He's consistently had a better completion percentage and less interceptions. The ball comes out of his hands 'funny' because he he can get the ball out quicker than just about any QB in the league. Meanwhile, Eli throws quite a few 'wobblers' and sails the ball even still today. Granted, Eli's got the arm strength. I think sometimes that makes it seem like he's more accurate. I'll say that he can throw an out route better than Romo for sure. That's what I've based my decision on[/quote]A longer period of analysis is useful but not as useful as having a great TE to go to when nothing else is open plus the 'boys have had MUCh better options out of the backfield. If you've watched the Giants much over the past 5 years you know that Jacobs simply dropped many a 3 yard pass and AB was only marginally better. Eli was also plagued over a 3 year period (before last year) with a boat load of tipped passed leading to interceptions. These impacted passing % AND interception. Further if you break down the tape you will find the majority were definitely on the receiver rather than Eli putting one of those floaters out there. I can't give you the accuracy thing based on completion % and/or interceptions. Your boy sure is elusive though, just like those playoff wins. [] Sorry, that was too easy.[/quote] ...Well I just lowered the shields for that one, didn't I? [b][/quote]I can't hit a fastball anymore but a slow pitch beach ball, that's another story. Thanks for helping my slugging percentage Ntegrase96. [B]
    No one remembers who came in second.

[quote user="TuckYou"]So basically, what you are saying is Eli went through a natural progression of a QB in the NFL, going from awful to elite in 8 years. Thats what the great QBs do. They dont all start out great and elite. Natural progression. And obviously the team wasnt Eli's Team until 2009ish. He was still a young QB developing and growing. I think Eli changed into the Eli of now as soon as the Vets around him started to get younger then himself. When he first arrived, everyone wanted to keep Warner at QB and were like, look at this kid. He sucks. He didnt have control. 07 he stepped up, but you are right, it wasnt till after that, after Tiki, after Plax, after Toomer, after Strahan, that he became the leader and elite QB*he is now. </P>

<SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">And if he progressed from awful to elite in 8 years, where does he go in the next 5-6 years? He seems to be only getting better. He won a superbowl with Toomer, Smith, Plax and Boss, and then with Nicks, Cruz, Manningham and Ballard. Completely new cast of players. </FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">A lot of your other points are bogus too. What QB makes the playoffs every single year anyway? Or wins every playoff game he ever played. Of course Eli has his bad games. Doesnt mean his skill level was low or something. That Eagles playoff game, the wind was whipping like crazy and Eli doesnt have the arm to rip through the crossing Meadowland winds at times. It happens. What would be amazing is if Eli played in a dome like Romo. His numbers would be through the roof.</FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Take Drew Brees as an example. He is way better in the superdome then outside it. </FONT></SPAN></P>[/quote]

Basically... yes! We're pretty much in agreement. Eli went through a natural progession of a QB.

He could get even better in the coming years since there is definitely room for improvement in the turnover department.

But you have to realize what I'm responding to is the notion that Eli would have three superbowl rings and have all kinds of great stats to go along with it with the aid of a player like Jason Witten.

I just disagree with it. In no way is Eli a guy who just needed more weapons to succeed. It's taken him this natural progression to get to the point of where he is, but he's always had weapons. It just wasn't until 2009 that he took on a new role of an 'air it out' QB-- Maybe the coaches liked his new attitude and trusted him more since there weren't larger personalities on the team trying to dwarf young Manning. More weapons would not have helped him that year either.

The second part is what I disagree with. The points I've made to counter the very specific aforemention notion directly corresponded.

On a separate note, in response to you:

As I've tried to point out before, Eli doesn't particularly play better indoors than outdoors. Take for instance, both games against the Cowboys this year. Both Romo AND Eli's numbers were fairly consistent regardless of the contrast between the Dome in Arlington and the December winds in New Jersey.

Opponents affect production more so than climate.

Couldnt have said it better myself ...eli has "it" romo...well he doesnt...nuff said

+ Reply to Thread