+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-Pro

TUCKYOU's Top 10 QBs in 2011

I was just watching Jaws talk about his QB rankings and it gave me a good idea. Since I dont feel like doing all of them because it would require a bunch of time, Im going to try to give an unbiased top 10 for every position for the 2011 season including playoffs, starting with the QBs:

1- Drew Brees = Brees had a ridiculous regular season smashing records left and right. He threw for an NFL record 5,476 yards and had 46 TDs and 14 INTs. With an average of 8.3 yards per attempt, it placed him 4th in the league. Brees seems to make any WR look like a superstar, and he does. With a bad defense and a struggling running game, Brees still lit up the NFL through the air with an amazing 71.2% completion percentage, tops in the league. But all of that still got him a second round exit since the teams passing numbers were not as strong outside of the Superdome.

2- Aaron Rodgers = Rodgers had an amazing year for the Packers. He threw for 4,643 yards, and a jaw dropping 45 Tds to 6 INTs. His accuracy is amazing. Rodgers also has another tool in the running game. He is able to scramble and make plays happen outside the pocket about as good as anyone in the NFL. His 9.2 yards per attempt was tops in the league. He was amazing in the regular season and the reason the Packers were 15-1. Even as great as Rodgers is though, he was beaten in the forst round at home by the eventual superbowl champs, the New York Giants.

3- Eli Manning = They said Eli was coming and they were right. This may have been his best year as a pro. Eli may not of rocked out in the regular season with only 29TDs while throwing 16 picks, but he did manage to get 4,933 yards. Eli led the GMEN even with his running game LAST in the NFL and a defense that gave up 400 points. His play was fantastic down the stretch and right through the playoffs. His clutch gene was exploding as he set the NFL record for 4<SUP>th</SUP> quarter Tds with 15, and had amazing comebacks throughout the year. He averaged 8.4 yards per attempt, good enough for 3<SUP>rd</SUP> in the league. His 2<SUP>nd</SUP> Superbowl MVP award pushed Eli into the top 3 Qbs for the 2011 Season.

4- Tom Brady (*EDIT)= Tom had another terrific year to add to his Hall Of Fame resume. He threw for 5,235 yards and had 39TDs with only 12 INTs. His great play made some of the best TE's in the game. His great style of play led the Pats all the way to the Superbowl. The Patriots once again struggled on defense though and forced Brady to throw the ball to win the game. Defenses knew this and couldnt stop it. His 8.6 yards per attempt was good enough for 2<SUP>nd</SUP> in the league. His 42.7% 1<SUP>st</SUP> down percentage was tops in the league. All this is great, but he does seem to wilt under a certain blue type of pass rush.

5- Matt Stafford (*EDIT)= Stafford had an incredible, put you on the map type year. He threw for 5,038 yards and had 41TDs and 16 INTs. His amazing play turned the horrible Lions into a playoff team almost overnight. Matt had all these great numbers even with a terrible run game and a defense that couldnt stop anyone. Also, his only real weapon on offense was Calvin Johnson who was triple teamed most the year. This was the first year that Stafford was healthy and started all 16 games. If he can do this in the future, he will be a top 3 QB. The Lions would lose in the first round of the playoffs however.

6- Tony Romo = Romo had a career year. Some would like to say better then the 2 time Superbowl MVP Champion Eli Manning. Some would be wrong. But Tony's numbers were extremely solid. He threw for 4,184 yards and had 31 Tds and only 10 INTs. He can also bring in the scrabling game to buy time and make a play on the run. He played great QB in 2011, but it wasnt enough to beat the Giants out for the division as they played for it in the final week.

7- Matt Ryan = Ryan had a very good year for the Falcons. He threw for 4,177 yards and had 29 Tds and only 12 INTs. He got his Falcons into the playoffs but couldnt muster up anything for a run, scoring zero points on offense. He did manage many games well though in 2011 and I expect him to continue to improve his over all game as his career builds.

8- Phillip Rivers = Rivers took a step back in 2011 but still managed to break my top 10. Hr threw for 4,624 yards and 27 Tds, but had 20 INTs and looked bad doing it. His 7.9 yards per attempt are good enough for 5<SUP>th</SUP> in the league. He was unable to get his Chargers to the playoffs.

9- Alex Smith = I have to put Smith in the top 10. He had a very efficient year, capped off by a solid performance in the playoffs. He only threw for 3,144 yards during the regular season, but did have 17Tds to only 5 INTs. He obviously benefitted from a great defense, but he also was the reason they beat the Saints in SF during the playoffs. He had some great throws throughout the playofffs including against the Giants in the NFC Championship game where they would eventually lose.

10- Ben Roethlisburger = Ben had an ok year for the Steelers. He threw for 4,077 yards, but had only 21TDs with 14INTs. He did manage to get his Steelers into the playoffs though, but they were eliminated in the first round by Tim Tebow and the Broncos. Ben is always a tough QB to bring down and makes plays after contact, but seems to get injured every year, as was the case in 2011.</P>

NOTE- I flipped Brady and Stafford after looking attotal numbers (including postseason)more thoroughly.</P>

Next up, WRs. </P>

Thoughts?</P>
    <P style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in">
    </P>

Re: TUCKYOU's Top 10 QBs in 2011

C'mon man, you can't be serious.</P>

Stafford over Tom Brady? Alex Smith over Big Ben?</P>

All-Pro

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

Stafford over Tom Brady? Alex Smith over Big Ben?</P>

[/quote]</P>

Ha, those were the ones I was actually flip flopping on. Remember, it is just for the 2011 season. Stafford had a very solid year, look at those stats and think about who he had around him! I wouldn't mind a flip there since Brady did get them to the superbowl, although he didnt play amazing in it. But Im not putting Ben in front of Smith. Smith played excellent in the playoffs, better then in the regular season, just like Eli did. And he was a fumble away from going to the superbowl. Ben had a pretty average year. 21Tds to 14 INTs? First round playoff loss to Tim Tebow? </P>

Im not saying "Who would you rather have as a QB?", Im saying "Who was better for the 2011 season?".</P>

Also, I think the Pats benefitted from having one of the easier schedules lasy season, and will again this year.</P>

I don't see why Stafford over Brady would be a surprise of the 2011 season.

Nice list

ehh, I wasn't impressed with Alex smith play last year. but kudos to him for helping his kicker get the most field goals made in a season I believe.

Everything else I'm fine with, so I too say good list
    "...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

very detailed, good job.

I'd personally swap Brady and Stafford,</P>

drop Alex Smith completely since he's garbage, swap Ben and Rivers, move them both up a spot and then move Cam Newton to 10th</P>
    Oderint Dum Metuant

[quote user="TuckYou"]Next up, WRs.

Thoughts?</P>
    <P style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in">
    </P>

[/quote]

If we're not including TEs (Cuz Gronk and Graham would likely be top 10 receiving options) then I'd say:</P>

1. Megatron
    2. Fitzgerald
    3. Steve Smith
    4. Roddy White
    5. Welker
    6. Cruz
    7. Brandon Marshall
    8. Hakeem Nicks
    9. Mike Wallace
    10. I can't choose between the following:

Dwayne Bowe
    JordyNelson(underrated)
    Vincent Jackson
    Brandon Lloyd
    JulioJones
    Antonio Brown
    ReggieWayne (though idk if he's as valuable nowadays)</P>

lots of talent out there.....hard to pick out that "bottom"of the best...</P>
    Oderint Dum Metuant

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

Stafford over Tom Brady?* Alex Smith over Big Ben?</P>[/quote]

It's for 2011 play only, as Tuckyou clearly said.

And actually there is a strong argument to be made that not only Smith, but Flacco--again, in 2011--should be ranked just above Roethlisberger.

Flacco had fairly similar stats as Ben in 2011, plus he led his team in TWICE defeating the Steelers--a first time Ravens sweep of Steelers in HOW many years?--AND he had one hell of a better post season than did Big Ol' Ben, falling one dropped CERTAIN td short of winning the AFCC game (as opposed to Steelers losing to the inferior Broncos in Wild Card game).

Good list.

Except for maybe Alex Smith.

WRs-- All I'm going to say is do not sleep on Dez Bryant. I think the kid will start putting it all together this year. He's taken a good approach to his conditioning and will finally get a full offseason.

All-Pro

[quote user="Ntegrase96"]Good list. Except for maybe Alex Smith. WRs-- All I'm going to say is do not sleep on Dez Bryant. I think the kid will start putting it all together this year. He's taken a good approach to his conditioning and will finally get a full offseason.[/quote]</P>

I dont think anyone is sleeping on Dez Bryant. He was a first round draft pick with amazing talent that flashes here and there. His issue is off the field and concentration. I am actually going to create another thread for the WRs. </P>

As for Romo, I dont think he is ever going to crack the top 5 QBs, but he is good enough to help you guys win. It is just those clutch situations that seperate Eli from him. </P>