+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Training Camp Battles

What training camp battles are u guys most interested in seeing, for me its the 3rd wideout and 2nd back, just to see if the vets step it up with the rookies breathing down their necks.

Re: Training Camp Battles

Linebackers imo. Jernigan,Randle,and Barden will compete even though I believe a healthy Hixon is a solid 3 sometimes even 2. Wilson has the talent but a lot depends how he does in blocking schemes. Ware has the edge now I think.

Cornerbacks should be good, a lot of solid guys fighting for 3rd 4th & backup spots.

I want to see what Rivers does in training camp also J Williams. Herzlich also is a sorta dark horse to beat out Blackburn.

The Gigalo with the most below

LB seems to be the most free-for-all competition. Pretty much the only one who is guaranteed a starting role is Boley. Rivers, Jacquian, and Kiwi are going to duke it out for the other outside position, while Blackburn and Herzlich compete for the middle position.

TE is an interesting situation. You have Pascoe, who is the only one in our TE group that already knows the offense (and is healthy) but really only used for blocking, the highly-touted-but-unproven Bennett, as well as Robinson and Hopkins that all (theoretically) have a shot. Though I think Bennett is the go-to man at this point, with Pascoe right behind him.

RB is all on Wilson... if he learns our offense and pass protection quickly, great, if not... ::shudder:: Ware becomes our 2nd RB.

WR is the one I am most interested in. Randle may be good, but Jernigan will have a full offseason to improve on (compared to 2011) and will have the edge on knowing the offensive playbook. It will be interesting to be sure.

One underlooked battle: backup QB. David Carr vs. Ryan Perilloux. LOL

[quote user="Toadofsteel"]LB seems to be the most free-for-all competition. Pretty much the only one who is guaranteed a starting role is Boley. Rivers, Jacquian, and Kiwi are going to duke it out for the other outside position, while Blackburn and Herzlich compete for the middle position.

TE is an interesting situation. You have Pascoe, who is the only one in our TE group that already knows the offense (and is healthy) but really only used for blocking, the highly-touted-but-unproven Bennett, as well as Robinson and Hopkins that all (theoretically) have a shot. Though I think Bennett is the go-to man at this point, with Pascoe right behind him.

RB is all on Wilson... if he learns our offense and pass protection quickly, great, if not... ::shudder:: Ware becomes our 2nd RB.

WR is the one I am most interested in. Randle may be good, but Jernigan will have a full offseason to improve on (compared to 2011) and will have the edge on knowing the offensive playbook. It will be interesting to be sure.

One underlooked battle: backup QB. David Carr vs. Ryan Perilloux. LOL[/quote]

This year linebacker is definitely an interesting unit to watch I would think that Kiwi is also a shoo-in with that leaving only the Mike open, though Fewell has pretty much said it's Blackburn's to lose. With the potential talent he may be back to where he was last year for most of the season...at home.

I see the RB battle being interesting. We all know AB and DW are safe, beyond that it appears as though Ware is safe because of his knowledge of the offense. But beyond that , it is anyone's game.I do not think Da'Rel Scott is as safe as so many here think he is.

Wr is interesting too. People keep assuming the battle is between Randle and JJ and I do not agree with that at all. Those 2 do not play the same position. JJ is a slot guy and that is unfortunate for him because in many slot situations I think we will continue to use Cruz. You dont take a guy who is the best in the league at his position(cruz) and move him. Randle is an outside guy. In 2 wr sets I think we use Nicks, Cruz (sometimes Nicks Randle) and in 3 wr sets I think it is Nicks, cruz(slot) and Randle. We do use a 4 wr set, but not too often. Sometimes when we do we motion a back out of the backfield to be that guy, or a TE. On the occasions where we just line up 4 wide I do think JJ might see the field.

I really want to see our backup Oline guys get some playtime. There will be changes in our line this year and I hope we take the time to find out the best group, not just the best guys at each position.

LB should be interesting simply because of Jaquain Williams showed SO much last year in such a very limited amount of playtime that I truly believe we almost have to find a way to get him on the field more.

[quote user="Rat_bastich"][quote user="Toadofsteel"]LB seems to be the most free-for-all competition. Pretty much the only one who is guaranteed a starting role is Boley. Rivers, Jacquian, and Kiwi are going to duke it out for the other outside position, while Blackburn and Herzlich compete for the middle position.

This year linebacker is definitely an interesting unit to watch I would think that Kiwi is also a shoo-in with that leaving only the Mike open, though Fewell has pretty much said it's Blackburn's to lose. With the potential talent he may be back to where he was last year for most of the season...at home.[/quote]

I don't think he'll be at home... we're not going to carry only Herzlich in that spot. I know that Boley can play in the middle situationally but I don't see us cutting Blackburn entirely.

[quote user="Toadofsteel"][quote user="Rat_bastich"][quote user="Toadofsteel"]LB seems to be the most free-for-all competition. Pretty much the only one who is guaranteed a starting role is Boley. Rivers, Jacquian, and Kiwi are going to duke it out for the other outside position, while Blackburn and Herzlich compete for the middle position.

This year linebacker is definitely an interesting unit to watch I would think that Kiwi is also a shoo-in with that leaving only the Mike open, though Fewell has pretty much said it's Blackburn's to lose. With the potential talent he may be back to where he was last year for most of the season...at home.[/quote]

I don't think he'll be at home... we're not going to carry only Herzlich in that spot. I know that Boley can play in the middle situationally but I don't see us cutting Blackburn entirely.[/quote]

Ahhh but, remember they were talking about trying Rivers at middle:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...cker-1.3714660

[quote user="Toadofsteel"]LB seems to be the most free-for-all competition. Pretty much the only one who is guaranteed a starting role is Boley. Rivers, Jacquian, and Kiwi are going to duke it out for the other outside position, while Blackburn and Herzlich compete for the middle position.

I do not believe there is any question as to IF Kiwi will be starting on the outside.He was one of the best run stopping linebackers in the NFL last year.I also think Rivers will be in the hunt for middle.
    1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Nobody seems to be talking about starting (#2, in particular) CB. Does Prince show enough to solidify this, or does T2's experience trump that?

Also, I think Linebacking(?) is becoming more specialized (and smaller & faster) these days. Don't be surprised to see weakside guys move to MIKE, and MIKE guys move to SAM.

Fewell is all about flexibility and showing different looks, and while it doesn't always work, I'm still a fan.
    There's no such word as "Imgrate".