+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NFL RUMORS: WILL GIANTS SIGN VICTOR CRUZ TO A NEW CONTRACT?

NFL RUMORS: WILL GIANTS SIGN VICTOR CRUZ TO A NEW CONTRACT?

"One of the more intriguing NFL rumors to surface recently surrounds
    wide receiver Victor Cruz, and the
    New
    York Giants
    . Cruz virtually came out of nowhere last season and
    had one of the best seasons ever for a Giants wide receiver. The twenty-five
    year-old receiver from Paterson, NJ caught 82 passes for 1,536 yards and 9 TDís
    in his first year as a Giants starter. He entered the year as the teamís fourth
    receiver behind Hakeem Nicks,
    Mario Manningham, and Domenik Hixon. However, an ACL injury to
    Hixon in Week 2 against the St.
    Louis Rams
    thrust Cruz into a more prominent role and he did not
    shy away.

Cruz is entering the final year of his
    contract that will pay him $500,000 this year before he become an unrestricted
    free agent. However, Cruz is not stressing a new deal. He has complete
    confidence that his agent, Malik
    Shareef
    , will be able to negotiate a fair deal with GM Jerry Reese. Reese stated earlier in the
    offseason that he would like to sign Cruz to a new, long-term contract but that
    it would not be a priority. Cruz, meanwhile, has not threatened to hold out if
    a deal isnít done, nor has he been vocal about his contract at all.

Cruz, while Iím sure he would like the financial
    security, has run counter to what most of his peers in the NFL do in similar
    situations. Instead of complaining to anyone who will listen, being coy, or
    threatening to hold out, Cruz has answered all contract questions the same way,
    telling them he is letting his agent handle the negotiations.

Cruzís unflappable demeanor on and off the
    field has endeared him to Giants fans and Giants coaches alike. Whether it is
    doing a salsa dance on a stage somewhere, staying cool with the media, or
    scoring a winning touchdown, Cruz remains the same.

The Giants might be waiting to see how
    Cruz performs in the beginning of this season before hammering out a contract.
    This is a risk for both Cruz and the Giants. If Cruz gets off to an even better
    start than last season he can demand more money. If he
    starts off slowly, the Giants can offer him less. That is the business of the
    NFL and all sports but I donít think there is anyway the Giants allow him to
    play out the whole season before getting him locked-up long-term to a pretty
    attractive deal that makes sense for both sides."

ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

Re: NFL RUMORS: WILL GIANTS SIGN VICTOR CRUZ TO A NEW CONTRACT?

A man of character.

And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, ď**** waffles.Ē......G Carlin

i think Cruz will be better than last year. i havent seen anyone cover him yet!

lock 'em up!

Pay the man! I don't mind spending the Giants' money on someone who deserves it. The guy showed a glimpse of what he could do the preseason before last and he showed what he could do during the last season.

I don't think there is any way he can match last season because overall I think the numbers will come down for everyone but he doesn't need those numbers if the ball is getting around to all the receivers, backs and tight ends.

Plus, the guy has said all the right things and is a character guy.

I'd love to sign Cruz long term -- there is no way that 1,500 yards in just your 1st full season is a fluke. Maybe 800 or 900 yards, but not 1,500. No way.

I think Cruz will start off slow this year. Nick's injury will take a little bit away from his play for the first few games, and Cruz will see doubles EVERY game. Once Nicks is going full speed, it'll even out some. I still think he'll have a great year, I just think it'll start slow. The Giants will offer him a fair deal, and he'll take it. Cruz will retire in Blue-he has that mindset and loyalty.

I don't think that he will do what he did last year, but look if he gets 1000 yards would anyone on these boards complain. Think we will see more of what happened in the post season when he was no surprise, of course Nicks was the benefitiary of that. What ever happens it will be fun to watch.

[quote user="Captain Chaos"]I don't think that he will do what he did last year, but look if he gets 1000 yards would anyone on these boards complain. Think we will see more of what happened in the post season when he was no surprise, of course Nicks was the benefitiary of that. What ever happens it will be fun to watch.[/quote]
    I agree, if he maintains a 1000 yd season, it will be very good. That is still the measuring stick.

Back in the day of my GWAT, I used a lot of my knowledge of sets to make me a real good poster. Sets are very important to all players no matter if it is defense or offense. I think that the players on offense helped Cruz out just as well he helped them out. If some of the players didn't catch a good amount of balls, then Cruz's production could have slipped some. I say what the Giants need to do is wait for one more year and see how well the other players develope. I also think that Cruz should be right with them. Yet Cruz may want to get that big money and if he keeps up the big production say about 1,023 yards or more, then he should get that big money. The more yards and tds he gets, the more money. Yet be known that the money needs to be distributed cause Reese and his staff are good at getting good quality players so when those players start to shine, then the other good players should get a slice of the pie.

[quote user="FBomb"]

A man of character.*

[/quote]

Thats why I can relate to cruz! Rare these days!
    Giants fan since '58