+ Reply to Thread

CRUZ ON CONTRACT: MY JOB IS TO PLAY FOOTBALL

CRUZ ON CONTRACT: MY JOB IS TO PLAY FOOTBALL

"Whether he receives a new contract before the upcoming season, or he enters the
    year still playing on his current deal, it's not going to be something
    Victor Cruz fixates on.

"It's going to be whatever my
    agents are working on with the organization. Whatever timing they feel is right.
    I'm going to go out there and take care of what my job is and that's to go out
    there and play football," Cruz said at the Queens Theatre as part of a Time
    Warner Cable event to help promote his new memoir, "Victor Cruz: Out of the
    Blue." "Whenever the contract comes, it comes. I'm not going to be sitting back,
    waiting for it, thinking about it, because then I won't be focused on football.
    When that time comes, we'll cross that bridge."

Cruz, who set the
    Giants' single-season receiving record last year with 1,536 yards, is scheduled
    to make a base salary of $540,000 in 2012. He has said in the past that he feels
    he deserves a raise, but also that he would not hold out for a new deal and is
    not frustrated by his contract status.

While Cruz awaits a new deal,
    some of his fans apparently believe the receiver has already struck the jackpot.
    Cruz tweeted on July 7: "I love how people think I'm a millionaire lol. That's
    hilarious." The receiver said Friday that perception may come from him being in
    the spotlight after his big season. His book is due out on July 17.

"I
    think because they see me here and there and I'm shooting this commercial and
    I'm doing this photo shoot, they think I'm some grand millionaire with a ton of
    money and living up in the hills somewhere, but that's not the case at all,"
    Cruz said. "My mom still lives in Paterson (N.J.). I'm still living in the
    townhome near the stadium. I'm not in a $1.3 million home or anything crazy like
    that. It's just the depiction people (have) about you when you start putting
    yourself out there with commercials and different spots."

Cruz is not
    the only Giant whose contract has been a story this offseason, as defensive end
    Osi Umenyiora's restructured deal also garnered national
    attention. Umenyiora even acknowledged during his contract negotiations that he
    recognized the Giants would have to pay their younger stars, like Cruz, in the
    future.

Cruz, though, said that he "didn't really take anything from it"
    as he watched Umenyiora and the Giants go back and forth before finally
    hammering out a deal for the upcoming season.

"Osi is his own person so
    he handled his situation the way he wanted to handle it. He's obviously had a
    little bit more experience with different contract situations and stuff like
    that," Cruz said. "Me, personally, I just like to sit back and be quiet and let
    the people that I've hired to do so and to work on the contracts just work for
    me."
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: CRUZ ON CONTRACT: MY JOB IS TO PLAY FOOTBALL

Love Cruz! He knows what's job number one!
    I'd carry his lunchpail anytime. (no innuendo here Harooni).