+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which would you prefer?

I was watching a clip about how eli has developed over his career, and Eric Mangini made the point that Eli is the best example of how you'd want a qb to develop over his career once being drafted by a team.

So, that made me wonder, which would you guys prefer;
    Have a QB like Peyton come in who pretty much fully develops over one season, and reach his potential/ceiling after that year

or

a QB like Eli, who develops over the course of his career. WHo isn't nearly as effective as early as a qb like peyton, but who ultimately may have a higher ceiling and level of play in his prime

I actually think thats what happened with Rivers. He hit his ceiling almost immediately, but thats where his play will max out...

Veteran

Re: Which would you prefer?

The mighty Peyton was not going to be denied. He broke records right and left, his onfield presence was something to reckon with. He won a superbowl title in his 7th season (2006 season).

Eli faltered some, still broke records tho, his onfield presence scared no one. He won a lombardi in his 4th season (2007 season). Now I think of him as the mighty Eli. I still love Peyton, but Eli has arrived.

Im not sure which was the best route to take. Not Peyton's way or Eli's way, but the man himself would be my preference.
    WIN GIANTS!! WIN IT ALL!!

[quote user="ashleymarie"]The mighty Peyton was not going to be denied. He broke records right and left, his onfield presence was something to reckon with. He won a superbowl title in his 7th season (2006 season).

Eli faltered some, still broke records tho, his onfield presence scared no one. He won a lombardi in his 4th season (2007 season). Now I think of him as the mighty Eli. I still love Peyton, but Eli has arrived.[/quote]

you cant go wrong with either type of qb. but which would u prefer, a more immediate success with somewhat limited upside, or a more prolonged development and a higher upside?

Veteran

I prefer the MAN himself to the way he arrived to his current station. I love Peyton. I love Eli. Eli has a better team behind him and in front of him. He isn't as flashy as Peyton. I would choose Eli.

[quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="ashleymarie"]The mighty Peyton was not going to be denied. He broke records right and left, his onfield presence was something to reckon with. He won a superbowl title in his 7th season (2006 season). Eli faltered some, still broke records tho, his onfield presence scared no one. He won a lombardi in his 4th season (2007 season). Now I think of him as the mighty Eli. I still love Peyton, but Eli has arrived.[/quote] you cant go wrong with either type of qb. but which would u prefer, a more immediate success with somewhat limited upside, or a more prolonged development and a higher upside?[/quote]I am not understanding this question at all. In one section you talk about Peyton reaching a high level sooner in his career but then you talk abouta quarterback with more immediate success with somewhat limited upside. Is that how you define Peyton's trajectory? I am totally confused here.
    No one remembers who came in second.

I think the confusion comes because you introduce names and personalities. Let me simplify this without the names. Would you rather have an elite quaterback who's skils can win you a Super Bowl for 15 prime years or one that will be at that level for8 years?

At that point it's a simple math questions. Those of you who chose8 years will need to repeat the class. []

No one remembers who came in second.

Veteran

I also think a team owner/manager/coach would like to have a Peyton-like qb development. Fast and thorough. Someone to dominate the game from the get-go.

Peyton's, because the ceiling he has set and consistently reached for 11 straight years has arguably entrenched him as the best QB to ever play the game.

[quote user="ashleymarie"]The mighty Peyton was not going to be denied. He broke records right and left, his onfield presence was something to reckon with. He won a superbowl title in his 7th season (2006 season).

Eli faltered some, still broke records tho, his onfield presence scared no one. He won a lombardi in his 4th season (2007 season). Now I think of him as the mighty Eli. I still love Peyton, but Eli has arrived.

Im not sure which was the best route to take. Not Peyton's way or Eli's way, but the man himself would be my preference.[/quote]

Just for clarification Peyton won his first in his 9th season (1998-2006) I believe he played and started his entire rookie season, so you can't really skip over it
    "...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

Veteran

[quote user="giantsfan420"]I was watching a clip about how eli has developed over his career, and Eric Mangini made the point that Eli is the best example of how you'd want a qb to develop over his career once being drafted by a team.

So, that made me wonder, which would you guys prefer;
    Have a QB like Peyton come in who pretty much fully develops over one season, and reach his potential/ceiling after that year

or

a QB like Eli, who develops over the course of his career. WHo isn't nearly as effective as early as a qb like peyton, but who ultimately may have a higher ceiling and level of play in his prime

I actually think thats what happened with Rivers. He hit his ceiling almost immediately, but thats where his play will max out...[/quote]

So....because Eli hasn't been as productive or consistent as others at his position, it means he hasn't hit his potential. Meanwhile for a guy like Rivers, who's dusted Eli statistically through out the years, it means a ceiling has been hit and his production will flat line?

Excellent logic.

What exactly is your criteria for determining that a player has hit a ceiling / capped his potential?