+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    All-Pro

Eli Manning: The Alpha Dog

THIBODAUX, La. -- Peyton Manning, the underdog. Eli Manning, the alpha dog.

No, you're not in another dimension. You're in today's reality.

A reality not many people ever imagined. Peyton has always been the headliner, and Eli the undercard. But numerous neck surgeries later for Peyton and a second Lombardi Trophy for Eli last season, and the perception of the Manning brothers has been flipped upside down.

Eli is the proven one. Peyton now has something to prove.

This weekend at the annual Manning Passing Academy at Nicholls State, both quarterbacks downplayed the polar-opposite routes their careers took in the past year.

When asked whether he has something to prove to himself, Peyton responded quickly and simply, "No." Eli dismissed the role-reversal notion as well.

"Peyton's a four-time MVP and a Super Bowl champion," Eli said. "He's coming off an injury, but he's going to be ready to play. I've got to worry about getting my team ready."

Leave it to the Manning clan's elder statesman to call it like everyone else sees it.

"2012 [was] so much fun for the Giants, to win another Super Bowl," Archie Manning said. "But then for Peyton -- we look at the plusses, the fact he worked so hard and got himself back healthy. The Indy thing was tough. It was tough on everybody, tough on him, tough on our family, I think tough for some people in Indy. But it happens, so I was very proud of the way he handled it, and then he had to turn around and find a new team and that was hard.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...ll-the-answers

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckKnoxx View Post
    Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

Re: Eli Manning: The Alpha Dog

I love Eli, but he will never achieve the alpha dog status over his brother Peyton. Even if Eli wins a couple more rings, when healthy Peyton is the better overall QB.

[quote user="Cool Papa B."]I love Eli, but he will never achieve the alpha dog status over his brother Peyton. Even if Eli wins a couple more rings, when healthy Peyton is the better overall QB.[/quote]

up to last season I'd agree 100%. the only thing is, peyton had maxed out his upside, amazing as it is, he isnt gonna get any better. whereas eli, who lets be honest, wasnt even peytons league for eli's first few seasons, has continually improved. I can say with certainty that eli is now on peytons level. only thing, eli isn't done improving as a QB.

right now, yes peyton was and is the better qb. however, its gotten much closer the past few seasons, and if eli can continue to progress as a qb, he could ultimately play at an even higher/more successful level then peyton.
    it all depends tho on the individual and the emphasis he puts on stats. no qb will ever be as good as peyton statistically. but, outside of stats, things like winning on the biggest stages, playing his best against the best competition, clutchness, etc etc, eli outshines peyton imho

[quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="Cool Papa B."]I love Eli, but he will never achieve the alpha dog status over his brother Peyton. Even if Eli wins a couple more rings, when healthy Peyton is the better overall QB.[/quote]

up to last season I'd agree 100%. the only thing is, peyton had maxed out his upside, amazing as it is, he isnt gonna get any better. whereas eli, who lets be honest, wasnt even peytons league for eli's first few seasons, has continually improved. I can say with certainty that eli is now on peytons level. only thing, eli isn't done improving as a QB.

right now, yes peyton was and is the better qb. however, its gotten much closer the past few seasons, and if eli can continue to progress as a qb, he could ultimately play at an even higher/more successful level then peyton.
    it all depends tho on the individual and the emphasis he puts on stats. no qb will ever be as good as peyton statistically. but, outside of stats, things like winning on the biggest stages, playing his best against the best competition, clutchness, etc etc, eli outshines peyton imho[/quote]

If Peyton is 100% this year, I think he will go back to his old self. He might have another 2-3 more seasons of elite level QB play.

Eli is closing the gap though. But I just don't think he has completely closed that gap just yet.

[quote user="Cool Papa B."][quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="Cool Papa B."]I love Eli, but he will never achieve the alpha dog status over his brother Peyton. Even if Eli wins a couple more rings, when healthy Peyton is the better overall QB.[/quote]

it all depends tho on the individual and the emphasis he puts on stats. no qb will ever be as good as peyton statistically. but, outside of stats, things like winning on the biggest stages, playing his best against the best competition, clutchness, etc etc, eli outshines peyton imho[/quote]

If Peyton is 100% this year, I think he will go back to his old self. He might have another 2-3 more seasons of elite level QB play.

Eli is closing the gap though. But I just don't think he has completely closed that gap just yet.[/quote]

Its not your fault because you've been force fed certain things for years but Peyton Manning had to leave the United States get his neck fused together. Assuming he'll be Peyton of old seems misguided and in all honesty I don't think the Colts let Peyton go if they thought he'd be anything close to Peyton of old. We'll see.

But if Peyton does return to form he's still less accomplished than little brother.

4 league MVPs vs 1 SB ring is actually an indictment. Seems like a regular season wonder who always had top end running backs and receivers at his disposal.

Also he's got a pick in the Big game that rivals Neil Odonell's

So if we fast forward say 15 years and we're talking about the Manning Brothers we're going to be talking about FEATS.

Eli Manning will retire with a very impressive HOF calibure playoff win percentage %.

Eli would have to make the playoffs and be 1 and Done several times to drop his precentage to .500 and if he makes the playoffs often enough to drop his playoff percentage to .500 it would mean his regular season win percentage would be off the charts. Certainly on par with brother Peyton.

So again, feats.

Eli Manning is already immortal due to two plays in two different Superbowls.

Eli Manning is already immortal for winning those games based on quality of opponent.

Eli Manning has plays and DRIVES that are dripping with lore at all three levels. Regular season playoffs and Superbowl.

As insane as this might sound. Despite people's reluctance to change they're minds or admit that they were wrong at some point its going to be clear that Peyton Manning despite how great he is....is the second best Manning.

Peyton just doesn't have as much of the stuff that fans and sports media can sink their teeth into for generations as little brother Eli.

Peyton beats Rex Grossman in the Superbowl and the fealing is kinda like "Its about time."

Peyton for however cerebral he known for being took years to figure out the 3-4 defense.

Took Years to beat Tom Brady. (Brady has never beaten Eli in a game of even remote significance.)

Peyton has played indoors in a traditonally and signifcantly weaker division than Eli

And Peyton threw a Superbowl away.

Can't argue Eli's side if we're comparing regular season stats/accolades.

But you really can't argue Peyton's side when it comes to anything else.

All that said. I don't think anyone is truly saying that Eli is better or has less to prove than Peyton yet. Jaws ranked Peyton ahead of Eli off the couch. Sometimes it takes time to change minds.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Peyton's accomplishments are enough to make him part of the discussion, "Who is the best QB to ever play the game."

Eli is building his own HOF career, and who knows, he may when all is said and done with, be better than Peyton.

However, neither of their careers are over. So, comparing them is premature.
    Do not feed the trolls.

There was actually a thing where skip bayless of all people basically said "Eli doesn't fit the media image of a superstar QB, even though he plays like one. As such, it's hard to view Eli as a superstar".

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckKnoxx View Post
    Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

[quote user="burier"][quote user="Cool Papa B."][quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="Cool Papa B."]I love Eli, but he will never achieve the alpha dog status over his brother Peyton. Even if Eli wins a couple more rings, when healthy Peyton is the better overall QB.[/quote]

Eli is closing the gap though. But I just don't think he has completely closed that gap just yet.[/quote]

Its not your fault because you've been force fed certain things for years but Peyton Manning had to leave the United States get his neck fused together. Assuming he'll be Peyton of old seems misguided and in all honesty I don't think the Colts let Peyton go if they thought he'd be anything close to Peyton of old. We'll see.

But if Peyton does return to form he's still less accomplished than little brother.

4 league MVPs vs 1 SB ring is actually an indictment. Seems like a regular season wonder who always had top end running backs and receivers at his disposal.

Also he's got a pick in the Big game that rivals Neil Odonell's

So if we fast forward say 15 years and we're talking about the Manning Brothers we're going to be talking about FEATS.

Eli Manning will retire with a very impressive HOF calibure playoff win percentage %.

Eli would have to make the playoffs and be 1 and Done several times to drop his precentage to .500 and if he makes the playoffs often enough to drop his playoff percentage to .500 it would mean his regular season win percentage would be off the charts. Certainly on par with brother Peyton.

So again, feats.

Eli Manning is already immortal due to two plays in two different Superbowls.

Eli Manning is already immortal for winning those games based on quality of opponent.

Eli Manning has plays and DRIVES that are dripping with lore at all three levels. Regular season playoffs and Superbowl.

As insane as this might sound. Despite people's reluctance to change they're minds or admit that they were wrong at some point its going to be clear that Peyton Manning despite how great he is....is the second best Manning.

Peyton just doesn't have as much of the stuff that fans and sports media can sink their teeth into for generations as little brother Eli.

Peyton beats Rex Grossman in the Superbowl and the fealing is kinda like "Its about time."

Peyton for however cerebral he known for being took years to figure out the 3-4 defense.

Took Years to beat Tom Brady. (Brady has never beaten Eli in a game of even remote significance.)

Peyton has played indoors in a traditonally and signifcantly weaker division than Eli

And Peyton threw a Superbowl away.

Can't argue Eli's side if we're comparing regular season stats/accolades.

But you really can't argue Peyton's side when it comes to anything else.

All that said. I don't think anyone is truly saying that Eli is better or has less to prove than Peyton yet. Jaws ranked Peyton ahead of Eli off the couch. Sometimes it takes time to change minds.[/quote]

Are you a surgeon? Are you an expert in neck rehabilitation after surgery ? No? Then you know as much about what you're talking about as the previous poster who you made that condescending remark to. Fact of the matter is no matter how hard you try you can not determine who the better quarterback is because they are both still active, so it is just a matter of opinion.

Anyway, the points that you are trying to make to backup your claim that Eli is better are ridiculous, such as claiming that Eli is better than Peyton because Eli beat Brady earlier in his career than Peyton did. Newsflash, there are more variables involved that influence a football game outside of the two starting qbs, so again that argument is ludicrous. The only way to objectively compare the two would be to look at their stats, which at this point in time Peyton has the edge. Again, this is just a matter of opinion which I just wanted to point out considering how you're carrying yourself like an asshat.

Veteran

If I were to compare Eli Manning to another QB, I'd have to go with Bart Starr.

Starr wasn't flashy.....he just got **** done when there was no other option.