+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    All-Pro NYG4lifeNYK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    14,929

    I don't understand this whole "We went 6-10 so obviously FA spending isn't the way to go" mantra

    Once again we led the league in injuries to some of our biggest FA acquisitions.

    -Schwartz
    -Thurmond
    -DRC
    -Jennings
    -Holliday (return game)


    If those guys stay healthy along with Odell never getting injured and playing week 1 we probably make the playoffs.


    Our big spending last year was also because we had a ton of FA's that we needed to replace.

    So this whole "we tried it and it didn't work" that the media and fans keep reiterating is misguided line of thinking.


    I'm also well aware that spending big on high prized FA's isn't the correct way to build a football team. Cue the Ted Thompson quote something along the lines of "Teams that are generally active in March usually aren't playing in January-Feb", something along those lines. And I agree with that to an extent. You also have to look at how bad the teams are that have a pattern of elaborate spending every year...i.e Raiders, Jags, Buccs, Redskins, Jets.

    You can't just look at it in a vacuum.


    We are a very well drafting team. Signing some key free agents along with important role players is very important, I'd argue just as important as the draft in a sense.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

    I'm ALL IN are you?

    "Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

    #80 - Get well soon Vic


    ...This fan base is clueless...

  2. #2
    Cap = use it or lose it

  3. #3
    Bottom line the Giants are going to spend just about every dollar within the cap. So if there's money available, they're gonna pay it to someone. You're either resigning you existing talent or upgrading through FA.
    #80

  4. #4
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    42,912
    There's a cap. The Giants spend to the cap every year.

  5. #5
    Signing Jennings last year was risky because of his injury concerns, and sure enough, we got burned. I really think we have to consider prior injuries much harder before signing someone long term.

  6. #6
    All-Pro NYG4lifeNYK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    14,929
    Quote Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
    Signing Jennings last year was risky because of his injury concerns, and sure enough, we got burned. I really think we have to consider prior injuries much harder before signing someone long term.
    It makes no difference.

    We've had how many countless players without prior injury go down with a free injury the same season they signed with us?
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

    I'm ALL IN are you?

    "Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

    #80 - Get well soon Vic


    ...This fan base is clueless...

  7. #7
    I do agree with you but how many at what cost ? I think we need 3 starters say in FA. And at least 2 in the draft. 2 picks in the first 40 of the draft this year. Lets make them count. We got 4 maybe 5 years left with Eli we need to win now. This is our window, win now not in 4 or 5 years that's too late.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
    Once again we led the league in injuries to some of our biggest FA acquisitions.

    -Schwartz
    -Thurmond
    -DRC
    -Jennings
    -Holliday (return game)


    If those guys stay healthy along with Odell never getting injured and playing week 1 we probably make the playoffs.


    Our big spending last year was also because we had a ton of FA's that we needed to replace.

    So this whole "we tried it and it didn't work" that the media and fans keep reiterating is misguided line of thinking.


    I'm also well aware that spending big on high prized FA's isn't the correct way to build a football team. Cue the Ted Thompson quote something along the lines of "Teams that are generally active in March usually aren't playing in January-Feb", something along those lines. And I agree with that to an extent. You also have to look at how bad the teams are that have a pattern of elaborate spending every year...i.e Raiders, Jags, Buccs, Redskins, Jets.

    You can't just look at it in a vacuum.


    We are a very well drafting team. Signing some key free agents along with important role players is very important, I'd argue just as important as the draft in a sense.
    this thought process is ridiculous!
    1. We had a terrible defensive coordinator...who, in my opinion, may have ruined many of our defensive players growth within the NFL!

    2. You can not fill all the holes with rookies...wake up!

    3. Veteran leadership can't be had with rookies either!

    4. Free agents have already proven where there abilities are at in the NFL, so you know what to expect from the start. Some rookies don't transition well into the pro game

  9. #9
    All-Pro NYG4lifeNYK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    14,929
    Quote Originally Posted by hungrrrry View Post
    this thought process is ridiculous!
    1. We had a terrible defensive coordinator...who, in my opinion, may have ruined many of our defensive players growth within the NFL!

    2. You can not fill all the holes with rookies...wake up!

    3. Veteran leadership can't be had with rookies either!

    4. Free agents have already proven where there abilities are at in the NFL, so you know what to expect from the start. Some rookies don't transition well into the pro game
    Show me where I said to fill all our holes with rookies, or mentioned anything about veteran leadership from rookies?

    You literally just made up your own arguing points lol


    Every single point you made 1-4 I never even brought up.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

    I'm ALL IN are you?

    "Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

    #80 - Get well soon Vic


    ...This fan base is clueless...

  10. #10
    People are very stupid and results oriented.
    /var/folders/_f/tmmr53mn535cvjj7ln96xlb80000gn/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/IMG_1008.JPG

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts