+ Reply to Thread

Zack Bowman Rumors: Why Are The Giants Interested?

http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/3/22...ncy-2014-bears

Excerpt: "The Giants are reportedly interested in signing free-agent cornerback Zack Bowman, despite having already signed three corners in free agency.

When word leaked out Friday night that the New York Giants were "close" to signing free-agent cornerback Zack Bowman -- formerly of the Chicago Bears -- the general reaction on Twitter was 'What? ANOTHER cornerback? Where is he going to play?'

Bowman, 29, is a six-year veteran who has started 23 of the 73 NFL games he has played in. He, quite obviously, doesn't have the pedigree that recent free-agent signees Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie or Walter Thurmond have. So, what gives? I reached out to Dane Noble, editor of SB Nation's Bears' web site, Windy City Gridiron, for thoughts on Bowman. In the end it's simple -- it comes down to special teams. Here is what Noble wrote:

Bowman is one of those players who had always done very well on special teams, but not quite enough on defense to keep a starting DB spot.

On special teams, he's a guy that is ALWAYS around the ball on kickoff and punt coverage... if his name isn't being called specifically for making the tackle, he's still a part of helping make that tackle happen.

On defense, he was always a solid backup, and had a few chances to lock down a starting position... Lovie Smith gave him a few chances to start and make some things happen, but that defense was so productive that Bowman couldn't quite rise to the level of play that everyone else was at. When inserted into the starting lineup due to injuries, he was serviceable, but just couldn't quite get over that hump of being an everyday guy.

His value definitely comes on ST's, and providing depth as a defensive back, but he can be a liability in the passing game when put on an island. In run support, he's good, and can thrive when part of a gang mentality.

Overall, I'd say he's a really good ST guy, and a solid depth player on defense." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

So did we ever get the deal done with him?
    2014 Mock Draft 3.0

Round, Position, Player, School

1) TE, Eric Ebron, UNC
    2) DT/DE, Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame
    3) WR, Jarvis Landry, LSU
    4) DE, Will Clarke, West Virginia
    5) C, Tyler Larsen, Utah State
    5) RB, Storm Johnson, UCF (Compensatory)
    6) OT, Seantrel Henderson, Miami (Prediction)
    UDFA- OLB, Boseko Lokombo, Oregon

With the 12th pick overall,
    the New York Giants select...
    Eric Ebron, Tight End, University of North Carolina

Non scientifially speaking, we had the worst depth of any team in the league last year. Our guys at most positions were not NFL ready. I am thrilled with a major overhaul of the roster. If we had a backup who was a C+ player and we replace him with a B- player for the same kind of money. That is progress.

Go Blue!!
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Non scientifially speaking, we had the worst depth of any team in the league last year. Our guys at most positions were not NFL ready. I am thrilled with a major overhaul of the roster. If we had a backup who was a C+ player and we replace him with a B- player for the same kind of money. That is progress.

Go Blue!!
    Well said
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

must be a gunner
    Do not feed the trolls.

We need to make the changes that can complement the offense. We have signed both a new kick and punt returner in Demps and Holliday and are looking at Bowman for the coverage side. Field position for us has been terrible overall despite Wilson's one great season returning. We have to be the team with better field position to shorten the field for the offense

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Well said
    If you told me that we are going to turnover a full 50% of our roster from last year, I would smile, thank JR and say it is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    If you told me that we are going to turnover a full 50% of our roster from last year, I would smile, thank JR and say it is necessary.
    Hopefully if all pans out

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Hopefully if all pans out
    The first steps in fixing a problem is to acknowledge it and develop a plan based on facts. Next comes the execution of the plan followed by "adjust as necessary."

You have to be thrilled that we are through the acknowledgement phase as well as the plan development phase. We are well into the execution phase now. We are in the enviable position of having flexibility moving toward the draft because we have filled many holes with at least competent FA. Stated differently, we aren't totally desparate to fill any one position. We still have work to do but can do so without overreaching on talent just to fill postion.

Yes I am optomistic.............

Bench Player
    Looks like J.R. is supplying the pieces to field a competitive team this year and will look to the draft to supply the future. All this free-agency movement is making my Giant brain spin. Oh well, enjoy the ride.