+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Bench Player

Chemistry btw Ruben and Eli

To start off, I just wanted to say that I think Ruben is a good receiver. I think he can probably be very good. (I don't know if he is supposed to be #1 or #2.) However, I feel like Eli and he don't have the best chemistry. What do you guys think?

It should be noted, as we see in all team sports, that two players can be very good and still struggle a lot playing with each other, and this is especially true of the system as well. I think you can have a very good player and still have him perform sub par in a system that doesn't work for him.

My question is, what is up with those two? I feel like they just can't connect like an effective QB and WR tandem should be able to connect. I am also losing confidence that these two can actually build that chemistry.

How do the rest of you feel about it?

They have inconsistent chemistry.
    Randle is good but on any other team, he'd be a WR4.
    I can't pinpoint what it is,but I would give the benefit of the doubt to Eli. I don't think Randle is stupid but he just hasn't fully grasped his role yet. He can be so much better.

Randle is just inconsistent as a player. Sort of like Manningham was.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Randle is just inconsistent as a player. Sort of like Manningham was.
    This is a perfect comparison as there really are a lot of similarities between the 2. You saw the same types of things with Manningham, where it just looked like he wasn't on the same page as Eli all the time. I think aside from the great catch he made in the SB, you could label Manningham's career with the Giants as inconsistent at best.

Ruben's "motor" takes forever to kick in. He doesn't have the fluidity and quickness to put his body into perfect "catch" mode until he gets a good gallop going first. He's useless short and deep--hence the herky-jerky hesitation we saw yesterday. Much like Manningham. Just an opinion based on my observation.
    Giants General Manager George Young recalls, "On his first day back, he wrote on our locker room chalkboard, 'The grass is greener, my butt. P. McConkey.' "

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeGiant View Post
    This is a perfect comparison as there really are a lot of similarities between the 2. You saw the same types of things with Manningham, where it just looked like he wasn't on the same page as Eli all the time. I think aside from the great catch he made in the SB, you could label Manningham's career with the Giants as inconsistent at best.
    MM had back to back seasons of 800+ and 900+ yards nearly making him a 1k yards receiver for us. He made mental errors, particularly taking himself out of plays by drifting out of bounds on go routes. However, he wasn't nearly as inconsistent as Randle has been. Eli trusted MM more.

Quote Originally Posted by BeatYale View Post
    MM had back to back seasons of 800+ and 900+ yards nearly making him a 1k yards receiver for us. He made mental errors, particularly taking himself out of plays by drifting out of bounds on go routes. However, he wasn't nearly as inconsistent as Randle has been. Eli trusted MM more.
    We have only had a very small sampling of RR so far, so I don't know if it's fair to judge him yet.....lets see how the rest of the season plays out. He will get his chances.

i see a lot of posters not willing to eat crow over blaming RR for the miscommunications at times.

I thought they looked much better yesterday actually, much better timing and execution between the two. There was a point in the game where they connected on about three passes in quick succession.

Veteran
    Eli played good, I thought the knock on Randle, when drafted, was that he wasn't the brightest guy in the room, I'm not going as far as what "Hollywood" Henderson said about Terry Bradshaw back in the day that "He couldn't spell CAT if you spotted him the C & the A...", but you got to have some smarts & playbook memorization/dedication if you are going to succeed in the NFL