+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skip bayless say's dez bryant is the next calvin johnson?

Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    Dez Bryant is nowhere near the athlete that Calvin is. Not even close. Because of this he will never match Calvin. Calvin is more talented and has more natural athletic ability. On top of this, he has actually produced at an elite level.
    Larry Fitzgerald is also nowhere near the physical specimen Calvin Johnson is either but should is still right there with him (I consider him better). You don't need to be 6'5" 235 with 4.3 speed to be the best.

Dez Bryant is closer to the Fitzgerald mold (with a tad more speed). Bryant has great body control and a real nose for the ball. Both he and Calvin are very 'air dominant', but I'd say Bryant has better hands at this point in his career than Calvin did... probably even still.

Yes, Johnson has produced at an elite level, but Skip is talking about projections for the future-- not judging them on their respective careers as of today.

Of course, for Bryant to reach Meagtron's level he's going to have to put it together with preparations. And despite his recent arrest, he's actually been doing just that.

Quote Originally Posted by ELIte4MVP View Post
    It depends on the context that he said it in. IF Dez could get his ish together, and learn from all of his mistakes, and reaches his maximum talent level, he could put up Calvin Johnson type numbers. However, i see him as a completely different style player than Calvin, as in he would reach those numbers in a different fashion.
    Exactly.

In some regard, they are similar (jump ball play-making ability), but I don't think Skip is saying Bryant will be like Megatron-- but he could definitely produce like him if he puts it all together. The kid has a really good skill set.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    Exactly.

In some regard, they are similar (jump ball play-making ability), but I don't think Skip is saying Bryant will be like Megatron-- but he could definitely produce like him if he puts it all together. The kid has a really good skill set.
    Dez definitely can get up and snag the ball at its highest point, like Johnson, but Dez, along with most NFL WR's, is not in the same mold as Johnson in the aspect that you can just throw the ball up and most likely Johnson will come down with it. Thats what sets Johnson apart from every other NFL WR imo. Dez is extremely talented, and has an extremely high ceiling. They have comparisons, but are mostly different in that regard

Veteran
    Larry Fitzgerald is also nowhere near the physical specimen Calvin Johnson is either but should is still right there with him (I consider him better). You don't need to be 6'5" 235 with 4.3 speed to be the best. Dez Bryant is closer to the Fitzgerald mold (with a tad more speed). Bryant has great body control and a real nose for the ball. Both he and Calvin are very 'air dominant', but I'd say Bryant has better hands at this point in his career than Calvin did... probably even still.Yes, Johnson has produced at an elite level, but Skip is talking about projections for the future-- not judging them on their respective careers as of today.Of course, for Bryant to reach Meagtron's level he's going to have to put it together with preparations. And despite his recent arrest, he's actually been doing just that.
    At virtually every position in the NFL, the best player is in the top percentile of size and speed. If you want to be the best you have to be the best athlete and work the hardest. Dez cannot ever be the athlete that Calvin is and it is highly unlikely that he will ever work as hard as Calvin has.

Starter
    Larry Fitzgerald is also nowhere near the physical specimen Calvin Johnson is either but should is still right there with him (I consider him better). You don't need to be 6'5" 235 with 4.3 speed to be the best.

Dez Bryant is closer to the Fitzgerald mold (with a tad more speed). Bryant has great body control and a real nose for the ball. Both he and Calvin are very 'air dominant', but I'd say Bryant has better hands at this point in his career than Calvin did... probably even still.

Yes, Johnson has produced at an elite level, but Skip is talking about projections for the future-- not judging them on their respective careers as of today.

Of course, for Bryant to reach Meagtron's level he's going to have to put it together with preparations. And despite his recent arrest, he's actually been doing just that.
    I think that is the point most people are trying to make it is not just that Calvin is a good receiver and so is Dez it is that Calvin also has the incredible body structure to go with it. So maybe Dez will put up a couple good seasons like Johnson but "the next Calvin Johnson" he will never be. In the same way that many teams will draft big 6'5" WRs that will never have the skills of a Calvin Johnson.

But yes Bryant is a very good athlete and has burned us good a few times with his speed and jumping ability. I would still take Nicks over him though but I guess I get to see a lot more of Hakeem, he is at a different point in his career as well, but I just love the way he plays.
    Last edited by JPP; 07-26-2012 at 11:27 PM.

It's funny how quickly some of you forget that Skip Bayless was one of the biggest Cowboys bashers just a few years ago, and has been for the majority of his career.

Skip Bayless just says things to shock people.

And, why so shocked? IF Dez Bryant ever reaches his full potential, I don't see why he wouldn't be as good as Calvin Johnson.
    potential, potential I think he is overrated and I meant that It's just wrong to caompare him to calvin johnson at Dez's "potential" at best he is Brandon Marshall if he reaches it Calvin Johnson I think not buddy and yes Skip Bayless is a Cowboy lover he picks them EVERY YEAR TO WIN THE NFC EAST!!!

I believe he's picked them for the last 3 years after T.O. left. No denying that... maybe not in 2010, I'm not really sure. He stuck with them last year even when the ship started to sink after the Murray injury, but he was reluctant to pick them in the season finale. He was conflicted but stuck to his pre season prediction. WHAT he picks them 3 years in a row and he's not an *** kisser come on man think about what your saying?

Pretty nice! The non-official Cowboys Forum I post on is going through a similar change and I hope those baords turn out this well. Graphics look awesome, I like the profile features and overall cleanliness and simplicity. Had a bit of snag getting my pw, but Mod C was pretty quick with his responses and got me squared away pretty quickly.
    WHAT? he picked them the last 3 seasons and also says they are going to go to the SB this year, and he's not an *** kisser.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
    WHAT? he picked them the last 3 seasons and also says they are going to go to the SB this year, and he's not an *** kisser.
    Admittedly I wasn't aware that he picked them to go to the superbowl this year... Link? But In the grand scheme of things still the answer is 'no'.

Skip Bayless was a columnist here in from the 70s to early 90s. Unlike you, I was familiar with him before Cold Pizza/First Take/1st and 10. He wasn't a cheerleader for the Boys, and in fact was mostly critical. Even when he was brought aboard for 1st and 10, he didn't bow down to the Cowboys until 2009.

The reason? Because the Cowboys became the unpopular pick around 2009. Skip just says things to get a rise out of people.
    Last edited by Ntegrase96; 07-27-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Left out a bit of info

It keeps people watching when they are asshats like that.

Look at that guy Smith or whatever his name is. Never watched him before, and although I find him insulting and pretty wrong half the time, he is hilarious.

Both of them are just always fighting each other and that's what makes people watch.
    OLD USERNAME : MIKEISAGIANT
    SINCE OCTOBER 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
    potential, potential I think he is overrated and I meant that It's just wrong to caompare him to calvin johnson at Dez's "potential" at best he is Brandon Marshall if he reaches it Calvin Johnson I think not buddy and yes Skip Bayless is a Cowboy lover he picks them EVERY YEAR TO WIN THE NFC EAST!!!
    Hey that's fine. That's your opinion (although Brandon Marshall is slower and his hands are nowhere as close to as good as Bryant's). Both Megatron and Bryant can make plays that few others can, so discussing potential is perfectly rational when discussing the future.

+ Reply to Thread